GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,179
1 members and 1,178 guests
No Members online

Old 09-05-2007, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

maybe it's the foreigner (sp?) in me, but when y'all say social... you mean like parties, get togethers, and dinners, etc?

ZΦB
Old 09-05-2007, 11:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosoul View Post
maybe it's the foreigner (sp?) in me, but when y'all say social... you mean like parties, get togethers, and dinners, etc?
With regard to GLOs, "social" has traditionally meant that the GLO exists primarily for social reasons in the broadest sense ("pertaining to, devoted to, or characterized by friendly companionship or relations; seeking or enjoying the companionship of others") rather than professional or service reasons.
Old 09-05-2007, 11:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neosoul View Post
Yes, pretty much. There are organizations where people just get together for social fellowship only.

Now, why you have to form an organization to do that....I'm not sure.
Omega Omega Chapter of Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Inc.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacksocialite View Post
Now, why you have to form an organization to do that....I'm not sure.
That's what I am saying... It is tough to be a perpetual body without some level of shared values or beliefs. My boss hangs out with some "communists" over beer and they jabber on about how bad the Bush Admin is doing every other Tuesday, or so... It's called "Drinking Liberally". But, there are no motions on the floor, no one takes minutes, and folks pay for their drinks. There is a lot of talk and no action. And it sounds cool just to hang out and talk about the world's problems.

But when it comes to a Sororities and the actions we leverage in our respective communities, the sociality happens while we work for effective change. Or after a project is completed... I have friends all over, I will always love my sorors, and while working for the chapter, there is a beginning, a middle and an end. Then we can partay.

"Yo soy una mujer negra" ~Zoe Saldana
Old 09-05-2007, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm a mom, wife, sister, daughter, bestfriend, teacher, doctor, lawyer, judge, (and the jury), chef, butler, maid, and the dang police.

I'm also an AKA with a full time job, and in school part-time. I am a member of several school related orgs. and extra curricular activities at the school I teach.

And you ask me is my organization enough???
Old 09-06-2007, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to EyesOnThePrize
Knowledge

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA_Monet View Post
But when it comes to a Sororities and the actions we leverage in our respective communities, the sociality happens while we work for effective change. Or after a project is completed... I have friends all over, I will always love my sorors, and while working for the chapter, there is a beginning, a middle and an end. Then we can partay.
Soror AKA_Monet

You have spit knowledge throughout this entire thread! But this^^^^^^ just sums it up for me. I am a neo with a lot to learn from those "older" in my org and others. I found myself copying and pasting the link to this thread and sending it on to my fellow "co-initiates." Kudos!

To address the topic: I hold a "road to leadership" position within Junior League. Along with your positon you also have a set amount of service/development hours and meetings to attend. AND with AKA: though I am only 3 months, old my chapter did NOT take a break over the summer b/c we are a small chapter planning a regional conference. I am an active participant on 4 regional planning committees, 2 chapter committees and as everyone knows the neos.. excuse me "new initiates" (if they are doing what they vowed to do) are involved with helping out for every single thing! And I love it! Wouldn't trade it for the world.

Is my sorority enough? It's more than enough. Junior League provides me with a specific training that has actually been useful with my sorority work. I can't see myself adding anything else to fold right now. I work full-time, freelance, write screenplays, and try to have a semblance of a social life.
Old 09-06-2007, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to raggann03
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post

ETA: I wanted to respond to something else you said.... I guess for me, I needed to pledge Alpha after APO because I knew that neither org would fulfill ALL my needs. To paraphrase what Jitterbug said about OPhiA.... in APO I gain brotherhood through the service... in Alpha I serve because of the brotherhood.
This is probably the best way I've seen to answer that question I get all the time.
As for me my orgs are more than enough, but if I see another opportunity to join with people who support my life's mission then I may consider adding another. It's all about balance though, if I can't devote actually time to the organization I won't take up space on the membership roster

The greatest way to combat chaos is with competence
Old 02-14-2015, 11:16 AM
GreekChat Member

Bumping this because somebody brought it to my attention early this morning. I believe my views on this topic have evolved.

Since this thread, I have joined a professional fraternity and have become very active in it. I am also not averse to joining any other social clubs/organizations. I know which I would consider and which I would not.

I also advanced about as far as I could in APO and in Alpha (ran for national office for one, received a national committee chair for the other) and then when GXP came along, I realized I was really, really into smaller, more intimate organizations.

Anyway, let's keep the party going.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:45 PM
Super Moderator

SGRho is enough fraternal org for me. I'm thinking about getting back into Girl Scouts to offer my camera skills. I do volunteer with my local Sickle Cell community. Considering where I am in life, I'm going to join my career trade organizations, about 5 of them. Yes, it's enough for me.
Old 04-10-2017, 02:19 AM
GreekChat Member

This is an old post thread, but I'm new here...

I think comparing NPHC organization with other organizations is comparing apples with oranges, particularly when comparing a sorority with Jack and Jill which is, at it's core, a leadership development program for our children. A sorority is NOT Jack and Jill, but Jack and Jill is most certainly NOT a sorority. Someday I will tenure out of Jack and Jill, but when I die, I'll go to Omega Omega chapter. I'll be a Delta beyond the grave...

The Links, Incorporated emphasizes 'friendship', and uses the term 'friendship' in lieu of 'sisterhood', but would be closer in its' mission to a public service focused sorority than would Jack and Jill. In fact there is a minimum requirements for service hours in order to remain in good standing, but again, some day we will all tenure out of The Links, if blessed to live so long...

I'm not a Girlfriend, but I have a Jack and Jill sister-mom who is, and she gives me the impression that the Girlfriends are a bit more social and relaxed with a much less intense public service arm...

And some of us are legacies of our NPHC organizations, but we are legacies of other organizations as well, and we have fond memories of our mothers enjoying all of their affiliations and grow up anticipating the same for ourselves...

Each organization is unique and can meet a need at a particular point in ones life, that another organization doesn't - or not - but for me the Sorority is set apart. It's not just an organization. It is NOT a club. It's a SISTERHOOD.