GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,427
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, FlorCundif
» Online Users: 2,489
0 members and 2,489 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 04-25-2006, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

ohh i think i got one

I have a brother or sister going off to college this semster what schools have the best community service and anti-Hazing policy in the state of IL, OH, GA, NY, VA, LA, and ever other dang state on the map...LOL
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-26-2006, 03:32 PM
GreekChat Member

I heard that there is an XYZ pin on the moon. Is that true?
Old 04-26-2006, 03:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindz928
I'm not sure this question has an answer. The closest I have come to is, "Some people enjoy being mean to others for no reason."
Wow, I was just coming over here to say the same thing. It's also called lacking self-confidence in yourself. Must suck to be rude to someone on the internet because your life is lacking something.
Old 05-26-2006, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sigmadiva
"I have been through the NM education period, but I just can't remember what AOT means?!? Can someone pm me and tell me, or just send me an e-mail to: obviouslyimnotamember@pleasebuymylameexcuse.edu"
Like, didn't you know? That's the Alpha Omicron Tau Frat, the frattiest frat at Insertnamehere University!

Bwahahahaha...amen to the things not sticking during initiation commentary. I still get ribbed by sisters who remember me as "that chick who fell asleep."

Whoops. I have health issues, I swear!

Last edited by Stef the Pef; 05-26-2006 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-26-2006, 02:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Is it true that you have to pay to get people to be your friends?

Answer: No, I just rent them per semester.
Old 06-01-2006, 01:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you all haze? Do you believe in hazing?

"Haze?" What's that?
"Cadillac" #5 Spring 1988
Kappa Kappa Psi National Honorary Band Fraternity, Inc.
Theta Tau Chapter
Life Member #3922
Old 06-04-2006, 03:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
Quote:
Originally posted by Drunkie679
I know Riverside County is big on that...UCR and Cal Poly Pomona have that rule and I think it is crazy...I think the best part of being in an house is somewhere that you can esacpe the dorms and relax with your organization
I don't know how true (if any) the whole "(fill in your favorite number) women living together in a house is illegal because it's a brothel" is true at Cal Poly Pomona, but it is not true at UC Riverside. Or in Riverside County at all (BTW, Cal Poly Pomona is not in Riverside County, it's in Los Angeles County).

The city of Riverside has an ordinance that actually states that fraternity/sorority houses fall under "community living zones" just like residence halls and dorms at a university/college. They are allowed. The reason for no housing for Greeks at UCR is a whole other long story that can be posted elsewhere.

Just to set the story straight.
Old 06-04-2006, 05:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to James Send a message via AIM to James
http://www.snopes.com/college/halls/brothel.asp

Excert:

Claim: Sororities are outlawed on certain campuses because local "brothel laws" prohibit more than a specified number of females from living together.

Examples:

Variations:
The number of sorority sisters that would supposedly trigger the "brothel" designation varies from telling to telling, with six being one of the more common figures cited.

This legend is told as true on any number of U.S. campuses, always by way of explanation for each school's lack of sorority houses.
Origins: This mistaken belief has been recorded since the 1960s and is probably a great deal older than that. Its possible origin might lie in a mental confluence of half-remembered tidbits about old time "blue laws" mixed with a healthy dollop of badly-parsed newer input about zoning laws adopted by various communities in more contemporary times. Short and sweet, if any so-called "brothel laws" anywhere tie a building's classification as a bordello to the number of occupants, we've yet to find documentation that proves this.

Some municipalities do indeed have zoning laws prohibiting more than a specified number of non-family members (male or female) from living together, but not even in those cases would a household in violation of those codes be labeled a brothel. Brothels earn such designations solely on the basis of what goes on in them, not upon how many women inhabit particular buildings.

Even in communities that carry such housing restrictions on their books, sororities and fraternities are exempted from them. The thrust of such laws is to set limits on how many people may reasonably inhabit what were meant to be single-family dwellings, not to enjoin those who are living in more communal settings in buildings meant for such purposes. Were such laws to apply to those latter forms of housing, local YWCAs would have been shut down and padlocked, as would a variety of nurses' residences.

Collegians have been explaining the lack of sorority houses on various campuses through this flawed factlet for many a year. Richard Roeper noted this legend in 1994, calling it "the most widespread piece of university folklore making the rounds" and estimating from entries on collegiate bulletin boards that it was being told on at least 100 campuses.

The belief that a "brothel law" bars live-in sororities from campuses is so deeply worked into the fabric of collegiate life that few now think to question it. In 1998 a group of eight students at Tulane University unsuccessfully searched city and state laws for the statute, finally concluding they'd been on a wild goose chase. "It was not found in either city or state codes," Adriana Belli, one of the student researchers, said. "We looked in every law book, every ordinance in New Orleans . . . dating back to the 1800s."

We routinely hear from students who are convinced their particular university lacks a sorority because of this non-existent law. Their vehemence aside, none have yet produce a copy of the statute they so firmly believe in, an act that would earn their city and institution of higher learning a measure of fame in the world of contemporary lore.

Barbara "daydream believers" Mikkelson
Old 06-16-2006, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Questions??

And just what is wrong with reading the book PLEDGED?
I am just waiting, and bit scared, for someone to write a book like that about the Fraternity's.
Was an interesting read.
Jon
Old 06-26-2006, 09:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ADPi Conniebama
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryAmanda
Y'all might not think I have a high enough post count to contribute, but I thought this might be funny.

"Why do you keep picking on XYZ? What's so horrible about Chi Upsilon Zeta?"

I know it was a while ago but that was funny
Old 07-14-2006, 05:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kerry4prez
is there like a "big brother" to ask questions to bc im new and i have so much i want to know!!! lol
Old 07-26-2006, 11:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerry4prez
is there like a "big brother" to ask questions to bc im new and i have so much i want to know!!! lol

LOL
Old 07-27-2006, 06:14 PM
GreekChat Member

I have no idea under what law they did it, but the Norfolk cops charged a brother of mine with "Prostitution" because he lived in the house we were having a party at (We can't have parties in our house). Tell him there's nothing like a brothel law.
Old 08-01-2006, 10:12 AM
GreekChat Member

I HAVE ONLY ONE QUESTION!
IS THERE ANY REAL GREEK PERSON HERE?
I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT NO ONE WHO IS POSTING HERE HAS EVEN THE SMALLEST RELATION WITH THE GREEKS APART FROM THE ORIGIN OF THE LETTERS IN YOUR SORORITIES!
AND THAT MAKES ME WONDER.
WHY GREEK LETTERS ARE USED FOR SUCH PURPOSES?
I AM NOT AGRESSIVE, I AM JUST A GIRL FROM ATHENS WHO ALWAYS WONDERED ABOUT THIS...

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!
Old 08-01-2006, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by efip_ro
I HAVE ONLY ONE QUESTION!
IS THERE ANY REAL GREEK PERSON HERE?
I CAN ONLY ASSUME THAT NO ONE WHO IS POSTING HERE HAS EVEN THE SMALLEST RELATION WITH THE GREEKS APART FROM THE ORIGIN OF THE LETTERS IN YOUR SORORITIES!
AND THAT MAKES ME WONDER.
WHY GREEK LETTERS ARE USED FOR SUCH PURPOSES?
I AM NOT AGRESSIVE, I AM JUST A GIRL FROM ATHENS WHO ALWAYS WONDERED ABOUT THIS...

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!!

The CAPS scream agression. What difference does it make if any of us are of Greek heritage? Our Greek letters stand for something, ususally a Greek phrase.
Closed Thread