GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,415
2 members and 1,413 guests
No Members online
Closed Thread

Old 09-11-2013, 05:40 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
If your process allows alumnae to intercede, then yes, that needs to be public.

If your process allows racial discrimination, then yes, that needs to be public.

And so on.
These aren't public organizations you're talking about. The public has no right to know anything.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-11-2013, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
AOII doesn't require a rec for a bid, but if I sent in a no rec (which would honestly be a really serious issue) the situation would be spelled out. When a chapter is discussing invitations for the next party and needs to cut someone, it's a no brainer to release the standards risk. I don't plan on no rec'ing anyone for being black.
I have never seen a "no rec" that didn't give a specific, concrete reason for its use, though I have seen some where the reasons were petty, and they were therefore disregarded.
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PersistentDST View Post
So...being I'm a results type of person...

What are possible solutions to this problem? Are there any? I'm interested in responses since my org runs things differently. I'm just curious.
Outlive the racists? I think short of every group sending reps to recruitment to make sure that this doesn't occur, my first suggestion is going to be it. Even with the HQ suggestion, I'm picturing alum hissy fits and threats in the middle of MS...a big scene. I won't hold my breath.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
These aren't public organizations you're talking about. The public has no right to know anything.
Unless the organizations are presenting themselves as groups where the membership is chosen by a certain subset, i.e. collegians. If that's a fraud then I agree w/ Sen.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I have never seen a "no rec" that didn't give a specific, concrete reason for its use, though I have seen some where the reasons were petty, and they were therefore disregarded.
Exactly my point. If you don't lay down a pretty good reason for your no rec, forget it. You'd better have the dirt...or do as others have suggested, write a note that says, "Call me!"

AOII

Old 09-11-2013, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Even with the HQ suggestion, I'm picturing alum hissy fits and threats in the middle of MS...a big scene. I won't hold my breath.
Maybe if the biddies' heads all exploded and it was made clear how unladylike they truly are, the problem would take care of itself.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Maybe if the biddies' heads all exploded and it was made clear how unladylike they truly are, the problem would take care of itself.
Can I buy a ticket to that show?

AOII

Old 09-11-2013, 05:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Can I buy a ticket to that show?
I second that. It's entertaining to see someone's faulty belief system shut down...especially in public. Lol
Old 09-11-2013, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Unless the organizations are presenting themselves as groups where the membership is chosen by a certain subset, i.e. collegians. If that's a fraud then I agree w/ Sen.
And have you read anything on any NPC group's web site or other public papers that says it is only collegians who vote? I seriously doubt it.

And in 50 years as a member of my group, I have written maybe 4-5 No recs and I was City Sponsorship Chairman for over 10 years. And since our form is out there for anyone to find, yes, there's a place to mark that I do not recommend this woman and that the chapter adviser can call me about it. And believe me they do.
Old 09-11-2013, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
And have you read anything on any NPC group's web site or other public papers that says it is only collegians who vote? I seriously doubt it.
Hence the word "unless"
Old 09-11-2013, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
Someone else mentioned this in the comment of the article and I think it is true.

The irony is that the football team is followed like a religion at this school with their High Priest Nick Saban and it is full of black students. These same Greeks will do anything to follow their football team.

And yet they wouldn't let the sister of one of the players into their own group.

Cognitive dissonance anyone?

THIS. just thinking the same thing.....so ironic and not in a good way.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinder1965 View Post
THIS. just thinking the same thing.....so ironic and not in a good way.
Please kids. These are the same people who would think it was so cool to go to Harlem to see Billie Holliday sing, but damned if they would ever ask her over for dinner. They see black football players as entertainers, not as humans.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Truth! It's fine for blacks to play on the football team as long as they are winning for the individuals. The racists only find blacks useful for them...not equal.

It's like back in the day when black artists/musicians played in "whites only" clubs/bars. "We love your music, but not you."
Old 09-11-2013, 06:19 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Please kids. These are the same people who would think it was so cool to go to Harlem to see Billie Holliday sing, but damned if they would ever ask her over for dinner. They see black football players as entertainers, not as humans.
I'm pretty sure that most people see white football players as entertainers as well.
Old 09-11-2013, 06:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
THIS! Its sad that some women would see no problem in rooting on the black football players (there are plenty in bama) on their football team, but would not allow a qualified black girl to be a member of their sorority.
When you decide to GO GREEK
!
Closed Thread