GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 980
2 members and 978 guests
naraht, Titchou

Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
I live in an area where an 8 is fat for a young woman.
Even that is quite generous. Whats the joke on the Row? "Different colored dresses counts as diversity right?" :-P

Last edited by 28StGreek; 06-25-2012 at 03:54 PM. Reason: correcting typo
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-25-2012, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellebud View Post
Perhaps it is intense. (Please note: I do not wear shorts...ever. I stopped at 24ish.) I have seen far too many women with varicose veins. muffin tops, rolls etc. Perhaps I should have said: Use a mirror...three way. Bubbles, lumps etc. don't.

But also note: I live in an area where an 8 is fat for a young woman. It isn't good and not healthy. It is what it is.....So, I apologize if I offended anyone.
There's also the whole proportion thing...women over 5'9" or so are going to look just fine in a size 8. Of course, it depends on the store...an Old Navy size 8 is like a 12 or 14 anywhere else.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm moderately horrified when I think back on what I wore to recruitment. Of course, it basically conformed to what the guidebook said (jean capris? go for it!), but this was SEC rush, so sundresses were THE thing. Oops.

I also brought a big old messenger bag. I can still remember being at one house and the girls being like "ooh, we love your bag!" and I believed them (and wanted to join their house). Cut to the next year, going through rush on the other side, realizing "oh sweet heavens those girls at ABC were lying to me so hard."

In general, I think every Panhellenic "what to wear to rush" guide is at least a notch or two too casual so as not to intimidate any PNMs, but I actually just think it puts the naive kids (like I was) at a disadvantage.
Old 06-25-2012, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

I used to be big on polyvore a few years ago but forgot about it at the end of high school/college...and now you've all made me rediscover it. Recruitment is a little different at my school because we don't have houses for house tours, and philanthropy/open house are combined so we only have three rounds, but I tried to make some outfits and I think I may have to spend the next couple of hours on here messing around because I forgot how much fun it was!

At my school, this would work for preferences (a surprising amount of us wore patterns to prefs...I don't know if it's just a thing at my school, but it really happened a lot! I loved my prefs dress...) but I don't know how it would work for others.

This would be for skit day, which for us normally means like a day dress/cardigan/sweater and skirt/nice slacks/etc. We also practice deferred recruitment in a place that has winter so this might not be the most appropriate in terms of color but that dress was just too cute. I do love patterns.

For preferences. Very similar to what one of my close friends (and future sister!) wore that day. I'm such a sucker for lace.

Also, one of the blogs I follow mentioned a pinterest account that was posting recommendations with outfits for recruitment. While I'm not sure all of them would work (I think the prefs board is a tiny bit casual, but that's just me), they do have some good ideas, for beauty and hair too!

http://pinterest.com/agracelamb/recr...terhood-night/
http://pinterest.com/agracelamb/recr...nthropy-night/
http://pinterest.com/agracelamb/recr...ference-night/

for hope, for strength, for life

Last edited by happilyanchored; 06-25-2012 at 06:58 PM. Reason: accidentally hyperlinked an image
Old 07-16-2012, 12:54 PM
GreekChat Member

*bump*

The spam is killin' me.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by happilyanchored View Post

At my school, this would work for preferences (a surprising amount of us wore patterns to prefs...I don't know if it's just a thing at my school, but it really happened a lot! I loved my prefs dress...) but I don't know how it would work for others.
If that dress is navy and orange (I can't tell if that's black or navy), it would be popular with the Auburn football crowd! Well, black and orange would work with the new Mercer football team.
Old 07-16-2012, 02:25 PM
GreekChat Member

That is definitely navy! I love orange and navy as a color combination, it's one of my favorites. I have that dress's link favorited and I've been going back and forth about buying it for a while but I'm very tiny so buying things online and sizing is total hit or miss (or requires some creative tailoring that I'm often too lazy to get).

Old 07-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Super Moderator

bump
Old 07-16-2012, 04:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Bump
Old 07-17-2012, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

ttt
Old 07-17-2012, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by happilyanchored View Post
That is definitely navy! I love orange and navy as a color combination, it's one of my favorites. I have that dress's link favorited and I've been going back and forth about buying it for a while but I'm very tiny so buying things online and sizing is total hit or miss (or requires some creative tailoring that I'm often too lazy to get).
I loveeee patterns or brights for pref night! Seriously, that orange and navy dress would be so memorable in a sea of LBDs.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

On my prefs night, I wore green! It had a sort of mottled pattern of darker shades of green and black, with a black bow belt and black heels. I was thisclose to wearing one of my other two black dresses I had brought as backups but everyone said to go with the green because it was more "me" and stood out. And it's funny, because in that sea of LBDs at my prefs party for my eventual home, the only girl I remembered is the one who wore a gold brocade dress (winter recruitment) because she also stood out among all the navys and blacks. Now she's one of my sisters and close friends! Obviously we were meant to be

Old 07-23-2012, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WhiteDaisy128
A while back, I made this thinking about a lot of the southern recruitments where it is hot hot hot -- but where recruitment is pretty formal and serious and lots of walking might be involved.

Old 07-23-2012, 02:13 PM
GreekChat Member

I have serious problems concentrating at work. Not labeled with days because I honestly have no idea what with my weird recruitment and all...

Old 07-23-2012, 03:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul

I *need* that dress. Please, please tell me where it came from.