GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Alpha Theta
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,572
0 members and 1,572 guests
No Members online

Old 12-05-2007, 08:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Amberashley
Question about a Theta tattoo

I am thinking about getting a tattoo that relates to Theta because I'm getting one for the professional fraternity I'm in, and I was just curious what is/isn't acceptable. Like I know it would be very inappropriate to get the letters, but, would it be unacceptable to get our values with the Twin Stars?
Thank you for your time.
TLAM,
Amber
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-06-2007, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amberashley View Post
I am thinking about getting a tattoo that relates to Theta because I'm getting one for the professional fraternity I'm in, and I was just curious what is/isn't acceptable. Like I know it would be very inappropriate to get the letters, but, would it be unacceptable to get our values with the Twin Stars?
Thank you for your time.
TLAM,
Amber

My great grand little had the twin stars tattoo'ed on her big toe. That didnt work out very well though because all of her shoes and sandals (including flops) covered it up. As far as values I'm not sure what you mean by that ,but I wouldnt post the answer to that here in a public board just to be safe.
Old 12-07-2007, 02:46 AM
GreekChat Member

My two cents:

I'm VERY liberal when it comes to... well pretty much everything, and this includes body modification (tattooing and piercing among other things). I myself have about 5 and a half hours in the chair. This being said, I would not feel comfortable getting our Greek Letters tattooed on my body, or the letters spelled out in english. I would feel very comfortable (well haha as comfortable as one can getting a tattoo that is!) and probably will get a tattoo of a symbol like a kite or twin stars. I just feel like letters are something sort of sacred to me. Also, when you are wearing your letters you are an ambassador for your organization, so getting your letters tattooed on your body means that you need to be constantly aware of that. My tattoos are of Girl Scout symbols, and as a result I've become more aware of how I act when others can see them because I am acting as an ambassador for GSUSA.
Old 12-07-2007, 04:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I know not to get the letters, but I was wondering about (insert moral code here).

Last edited by ThetaPrincess24; 12-07-2007 at 05:42 PM. Reason: too close for comfort.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:44 PM

Quote:
I know not to get the letters, but I was wondering about (insert moral code here).

I had a sister get the moral code tattoo'd on the small of her back, but she had the chinese symbol equivalents instead of the words.
Old 12-07-2007, 05:58 PM
Unregistered-

As someone who's spent her share of hours and hours in the chair herself...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThetaPrincess24 View Post
I had a sister get the moral code tattoo'd on the small of her back, but she had the chinese symbol equivalents instead of the words.
Pardon the crash...

But with Chinese (or Japanese or Asian symbols for that matter) symbols, please be extra extra careful because the "equivalents" aren't always equivalents and often have different meanings than what they're supposed to say in English. Just because that's what the book or the tattoo artist says doesn't mean they're accurate.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
Pardon the crash...

But with Chinese (or Japanese or Asian symbols for that matter) symbols, please be extra extra careful because the "equivalents" aren't always equivalents and often have different meanings than what they're supposed to say in English. Just because that's what the book or the tattoo artist says doesn't mean they're accurate.

I would agree with that. I've seen several symbols out there on different items with supposedly the same meanings. It pays to do your own research from credible sources. Thanks for the input Sandy.
Old 12-09-2007, 09:37 PM
GreekChat Member

So, wait, getting it in English is taboo?
Old 12-11-2007, 03:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry, I'm sort of clueless on this sort of thing since we're a new chapter...
Old 12-11-2007, 06:26 PM

Quote:
So, wait, getting it in English is taboo?
Well the explanation of it can be tricky. People will ask you why you chose to have "that" tattoo'd. If you tell them it has something to do with your sorority then you've given away that part of ritual.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:47 AM
GreekChat Member

theta tatoos

personally i don't like tattoos, simply because i change my mind way to much to get one.
but there are a few girls in my chapter who have gotten symbols and words tattooed on them.
one got a kite with stars on each side of it on the middle of her back, it's really cute because it's very small
another got a half a heart, with words filling in the line of the other half, the words being what everyone on this thread seems afraid to say.
i don't think you would have to explain to anyone that the words are connected to your sorority, you could just say you're very religious.
either way i would never get the letters in any language tattooed on me, it'd be like wearing them 24/7.
i was thinking about getting a kite tattoo at some point
Old 12-12-2008, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

One of my sisters got... well, sort of twin stars, two very cute little stars on her foot.

I've been planning on getting a stealth-Theta-tattoo, some celtic knotwork with a kite shape in the center.

In general, I recommend always going more abstract/simple, and never EVER get letters!
Old 12-17-2008, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greekgrrl View Post
One of my sisters got... well, sort of twin stars, two very cute little stars on her foot.

I've been planning on getting a stealth-Theta-tattoo, some celtic knotwork with a kite shape in the center.

In general, I recommend always going more abstract/simple, and never EVER get letters!
Haha. I like that... stealth-Theta... it's like you're a ninja!