GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,261
0 members and 2,261 guests
No Members online

Old 03-01-2013, 05:22 PM
GreekChat Member

oh.my.stars.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Just a few examples:

--Exempting intrastate manufactured firearms from federal regulations entirely so long as they remain within the state.
I agree that it is an end run around the Federal government, but it appears to me at least that they do have a constitutional leg to stand on.
Old 03-01-2013, 09:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
At some point people need to decide if their state's politics are a good fit for them. I would refuse to live in a state that passed some of the laws enacted in other states. I wish more people would take it seriously and do something about it, rather than stay someplace that, well, just doesn't like them or their beliefs. Kevin, at what point do you say 'enough is enough'?
Oh, I agree. I'd say one would have to be mother bleeping crazy to live in states where their total tax burden approaches 55% ,but that's just little old me.

As to beliefs, don't like them get together and vote your folks in and theirs out.

I live in FLA where we're all in a crazy mixed up salad. Hey, it's lively. Obama carried the state, but our Legislature is Republican and so is the Governor. I actually don't mind that there's such a blend of ideas. Somehow stuff gets done and we still can't stop you folks from moving here so it can't be all bad.
Dammit.
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlum View Post
Oh, I agree. I'd say one would have to be mother bleeping crazy to live in states where their total tax burden approaches 55% ,but that's just little old me.

As to beliefs, don't like them get together and vote your folks in and theirs out.

I live in FLA where we're all in a crazy mixed up salad. Hey, it's lively. Obama carried the state, but our Legislature is Republican and so is the Governor. I actually don't mind that there's such a blend of ideas. Somehow stuff gets done and we still can't stop you folks from moving here so it can't be all bad.
Dammit.
A blend is healthy. What I could never do is live in a state where everything was the very opposite of my values. And I would have a very hard time in a state that was apparently obsessed with my sex and ruling over me with an iron fist.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeppyGPhiB View Post
A blend is healthy. What I could never do is live in a state where everything was the very opposite of my values. And I would have a very hard time in a state that was apparently obsessed with my sex and ruling over me with an iron fist.
The problem is, it swings around back and forth in most states. Michigan goes Democrat in federal elections because the majority of the population is one area, which is Democratic. Our Congress and, right now, our Governor, are Republican because of the out state folks. Together, they are wreaking havoc. He will likely be a one term Governor so it isn't worth moving...
Old 03-02-2013, 07:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
I agree that it is an end run around the Federal government, but it appears to me at least that they do have a constitutional leg to stand on.
Not at all. If you can't sell marijuana grown intra state to folks in your own state according to the SCOTUS, why could you sell guns?
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-02-2013, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Not at all. If you can't sell marijuana grown intra state to folks in your own state according to the SCOTUS, why could you sell guns?
Legally, the difference is that marijuana - the substance itself - is federally prohibited, while guns themselves are not. So the legal question is intrastate commerce, not interstate, in a product that is not prohibited.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGTess View Post
Legally, the difference is that marijuana - the substance itself - is federally prohibited, while guns themselves are not. So the legal question is intrastate commerce, not interstate, in a product that is not prohibited.
The law is to allow, for example, fully automatic firearms to be sold intrastate if they're made here. So the firearms in question would be federally prohibited ones.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma
Old 03-02-2013, 01:17 PM
GreekChat Member

You must not have heard about the gems passed in Arkansas in the past week.

The Arkansas Legislature recently passed a a bill that prohibited "elective" abortions after 20 weeks. It was vetoed by the (Southern) Democrat governor, on the basis that it would be overturned by a higher court and would cost the state huge amounts in legal fees. His veto was overturned by the Legislature. See: http://arkansasmatters.com/fulltext?nxd_id=640902

There was also a bill prohibiting abortion past 12 weeks of pregnancy. This has cleared the Senate and House, and is now on the Governor's desk. See: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_2735498.html

Oy.

"Together, Let Us Seek the Heights"

I <3 My KΣ
Old 03-02-2013, 05:23 PM
GreekChat Member

"I'm sorry, I'm no longer willing to have sex because the risk has exceeded the benefit."

If women start saying that, in large numbers, very loudly, they will change their minds.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Read Lysistrata (ancient Greek comedy) and then follow their lead. Hint: the story is about the women on both sides of the war getting together and deciding to withhold sex until their husbands quit fighting. And guess who wins? :-P
Old 03-02-2013, 08:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Indiana just called for a constitutional convention: (http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...nclick_check=1)

And for ultrasounds prior to the dispensing of RU-486:
http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...-passes-Senate

Sigh...
Old 03-02-2013, 09:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Let's see, here in Tennessee, we've got the "don't say gay" proposal, which will make it against the law for homosexuality to be spoken of in schools.

Gun owners are now allowed to keep guns in parked cars anywhere, even at schools and workplaces.

They're proposing requiring ultrasounds before abortion.

Finally, some nut job has proposed a bill to keep the UN out of the state.
Old 03-03-2013, 02:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Read Lysistrata (ancient Greek comedy) and then follow their lead. Hint: the story is about the women on both sides of the war getting together and deciding to withhold sex until their husbands quit fighting. And guess who wins? :-P
One of the better comedies I've seen on Broadway - Lysistrata Jones

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lysistrata_Jones

Unfortunately, it was short-lived.

I swear, most of what I learn of history isn't from history books...

@~/~~~~
Old 03-04-2013, 05:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IUHoosiergirl88 View Post
Indiana just called for a constitutional convention: (http://www.indystar.com/article/2013...nclick_check=1)

Sigh...
I actually respect calling for a convention more then all the states who are attempting nullification, either de facto or de jure.