GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Phi > Phi Mu

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 1,232
0 members and 1,232 guests
No Members online

Old 06-10-2002, 12:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Phi Mu Sweetheart

Ok. I know a lot of other chapters have a Phi Mu Sweetheart. We don't do one because we're not allowed to... I guess Nationally. Our chapter really follows the rules almost to a T. How do you get around having a Phi Mu Sweetheart? Is it really against National? Cuz I've seen websites that feature their sweetheart and these websites are linked to the National site. I'm just wondering cuz I would like to bring it up again to our President/Eboard and I need some things to back up my opinion, but unfortunately I don't know the whole rule on including boys in chapter things.

KLTC
Old 06-11-2002, 01:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to MoonStar17
At our chapter we do "ManeMan" as in the "Mane" of a lion...which is chosen for every formal...

and recently we have started a "Phi Guy" one guy a month who has helped us or done a good job represeting what it is to be a real "Phi Mu Gentleman"

Im not sure on the nationals thing...haven't heard if it was against the rules....something we have always done
Old 06-12-2002, 08:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
You can't have a big brother program or anything, because of our single-sex status, but you can honor one guy a semester. Ours is the "Mu Man." Nationals does not mind, as far as I know.
Old 06-27-2002, 03:18 AM
GreekChat Member

We have Phi Mu "Flames"

We vote on these guys for formal. They are the guys that have "gone above and beyond the call of duty for Phi Mu"

My dad's one, b/c he lets us have bid day at his house every year, and for the last 2 years has let us overtake his lakehouse for retreat! If that's not above and beyond, I don't know what is.
It was cool b/c he and my mom got to go to our formal. He (and I) were completely, utterly honored.
Old 09-30-2002, 09:16 AM
GreekChat Member

We have what's called "King Sir Fidel" at our chapter, and it's basically the male who has hepled out the chapter the most during the year, and we vote on him as one of the awards at the Carnation Ball in the spring. I've never heard that we aren't allowed to have sweethearts officially. Why is that, you think?
Old 10-02-2002, 12:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to HotDamnImAPhiMu
We're definately NOT allowed to have sweethearts.

I wonder if it has to do with something I saw in our history book (it's at our library here at school -- I'm betting it's at y'alls too.) Phi Mus in the early 1900s allowed their boyfriends to wear their pins -- this is back when the pins were much different, the sisterhood was much different, things in general were much different. It was kind of like reverse lavilering.

Anyway, guess things were getting out of hand, because at the next convention someone proposed that men who were engaged to Phi Mus be the ONLY ones who were allowed to wear badges or our letters.

That was met almost immediately with a proposal that NO men be allowed to wear our badge or letters, which passed.

Funny, isn't it? My Dad's an AKL and I know my mom or I can wear his letters.
Old 10-02-2002, 09:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Lovin' that double-standard, aren'tcha Jac?

Pink is my signature color. ~ Steel Magnolias.
Old 10-02-2002, 01:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Ohhhhhhhhhh yeah. :-)

So the one reason I'm glad girls don't lavilere: on my campus, if you lavilere a girl and then you subsequently break up, you're responsible for not only getting the letters back -- but you have to swallow the lavilere.
Old 10-02-2002, 02:06 PM
GreekChat Member

HAHAHAHAHA

Isn't lavilering just the same as pinning?

And PS, Am I the only one who's upset that girls can't letter guys?

Pink is my signature color. ~ Steel Magnolias.
Old 10-02-2002, 04:10 PM
GreekChat Member

you have to swallow the lavalier if you break up? I guess that isn't the worst thing you can put in your body but still, think of where the letters end up in the end...
Old 10-02-2002, 04:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Hahahahaha. In the dumps, that's where.

The way it's SUPPOSED to work (and hasn't really since greek life's heyday in the 1950's) is this:

* a boy lavileres you to show you're going steady. You can wear the lavilere with his letters on it whenever you want.

*a boy pins you (usually with his pledge pin) or pearls you (gives you a necklace or ring with a pearl on it) as a sort of pre-engagement. It's much more serious, and then you can wear the lavilere, the pin, or his letters.

We don't do pinnings or pearlings anymore -- I don't think most campuses do. I am SUCH a dork -- I would love to be lavilered. It just sounds like such a sweet thing, and something that can only happen during the 4 years you're in college.

There's a thread on this in the greek life forum, I think.

love you girlies!
~ Jacquelyn.
Old 12-22-2002, 01:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PM_Mama00 Send a message via Yahoo to PM_Mama00
Ok, so I told our V. President that I want to take charge of Formal this year, since I did semi-formal all alone and now I know what I'm doin.

I'm also hoping that the new eboard will let me get the whole "Mu Man" or "Phi Guy" thing started.

As for the guy wearing our letters, I don't agree with that, but I do know that if it's written out, it's ok.... right?

Actually I'm not eve thinking about him wearing ANYTHING Phi Mu... I was thinking a king's crown and one of those sash kinda things that'll say his title-- Mu Man or Phi Guy... .whichever is decided. I have a question though. Is there a song or anything that any chapters sing to that guy? My chapter says I'm like the queen of making up songs, so I was thinking of doin one to "You lost that lovin feelin" and changing it to "You've got that Phi Guy feelin" or something.

KLTC
Old 12-22-2002, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

I still like "Mane Man" best!

I vote changing the words to "How sweet it is to be loved by you" to "How sweet it is to be loved by Phi Mu."
Old 05-20-2003, 11:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to WCUphimuDIVA
Cool Mane Man all the way

Hey adies... We started the tradition of doing a mane man...we announce it at IGC meetings BUT he doesnt wear letters and he's not in our composite. We usually congratulate him with a lion and carnations... its sweet and flattering... Im working on our website and I plan on including his picture and write up about him.... Lion hugs!! Jess