GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > News & Politics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,308
3 members and 2,305 guests
Cookiez17, PKT4LIFE, Xidelt

Old 04-13-2012, 09:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
As far as I know and understand it, it is still in force. But as I said, as well, let those who truly know and understand the law sort it all out.
As others have said, if the charges were dropped, it is very unlikely that any restraining order was still in force.

Quote:
I originally posted it as something of interest, not a pure matter of law.
And this is how misinformation and confusion get spread in cases like this.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-13-2012, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticCat View Post
And this is how misinformation and confusion get spread in cases like this.
That is how I feel about the "he was warning others about Black people in the area" being touted in news reports, websites, and public discourse.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

George Zimmerman and the Rush to Judgment
George Zimmerman faces charges of second-degree murder for fatally shooting Trayvon Martin in Sanford, Fla., on Feb. 26.
And though Zimmerman has yet to appear before a jury, many people, with little firsthand knowledge of the case, have already judged him guilty or not guilty.
Psychologists say this rush to judgment is part of being human, and we do it all the time. Think of Amanda Knox or former Rutgers student Dharun Ravi or even former IMF chief Dominique Strauss-Kahn, arrested on charges -- later dismissed -- of sexually assaulting a New York hotel maid.
http://abcnews.go.com/Health/george-...6#.T4gm6sh63To
Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 AM
Banned

Speaking of a rush to judgment, it is both predictable and cliche` that some (many?) of the people who urge against drawing conclusions regarding George Zimmerman were quick to judge in previous incidents and cases---such as Casey Anthony who was judged by many people from the beginning and after she was acquitted.

It just goes to show that people's level of patience and response tend to be based on what they deem important or what they deem an "emergency topic."

Last edited by DrPhil; 04-13-2012 at 10:05 AM.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:54 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Speaking of a rush to judgment, it is both predictable and cliche` that some (many?) of the people who urge against drawing conclusions regarding George Zimmerman were quick to judge in previous incidents and cases---such as Casey Anthony who was judged by many people from the beginning and after she was acquitted.

It just goes to show that people's level of patience and response tend to be based on what they deem important or what they deem an "emergency topic."
I disagree. I think this case is different than others in the sense of all of the misinformation and spin being put out by the "legitimate" media. I think its perfectly fine to draw conclusions once all of the facts are presented, but we aren't there yet in the Zimmerman/Martin case
Old 04-13-2012, 11:00 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiKA2001 View Post
I disagree. I think this case is different than others in the sense of all of the misinformation and spin being put out by the "legitimate" media.
I guess you missed all of the misinformation and spin from previous incidents and trials. Misinformation and spin are most likely to occur for incidents that garner public attention, sensitivity, and outrage. Es lo mismo.

Quote:
I think its perfectly fine to draw conclusions once all of the facts are presented, but we aren't there yet in the Zimmerman/Martin case
"All of the facts" are never presented. And people didn't wait for "all of the facts" before rushing to judgment in previous incidents and cases.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Who you calling "boy"? The name's Hand Banana . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOM View Post
As far as I know and understand it, it is still in force.
As far as I know, you're the only one who understands it that way - citation please? Show your work!

Quote:
I originally posted it as something of interest, not a pure matter of law.
Why don't we stick to things like "facts" and "pure law" (if such a thing exists)? Wouldn't that be better than smashing our collective heads against the wall, and/or making ludicrous scenarios real via conjecture or misinformation?
Old 04-13-2012, 11:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I guess you missed all of the misinformation and spin from previous incidents and trials. Misinformation and spin are most likely to occur for incidents that garner public attention, sensitivity, and outrage. Es lo mismo.

"All of the facts" are never presented. And people didn't wait for "all of the facts" before rushing to judgment in previous incidents and cases.
True but there is a big difference between judging a case based on evidence and testimony presented during a trial (Anthony) and judging a case based on half assed reporting (Martin).
Old 04-13-2012, 11:12 AM
Banned

Quote:
True but there is a big difference between judging a case based on evidence and testimony presented during a trial (Anthony) and judging a case based on half assed reporting (Martin).
Are you pretending that people waited for evidence and testimony to judge Casey Anthony? Read the GC threads.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Are you pretending that people waited for evidence and testimony to judge Casey Anthony? Read the GC threads.
No, what I'm saying is the two cases are apples and oranges and really can't be compared to each other, including the rush to public judgment.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
As far as I know, you're the only one who understands it that way - citation please? Show your work!

Why don't we stick to things like "facts" and "pure law" (if such a thing exists)? Wouldn't that be better than smashing our collective heads against the wall, and/or making ludicrous scenarios real via conjecture or misinformation?
Well, I would have to go back to all the material that I have been reading for past few weeks. Do you have any links handy to show why you believe other wise?

And I agree with your second part-Why are we even having this conversation? All I did was post an article, as others have here, that seemed to have some interesting information on it about this case. If one really wanted to track down the evidence behind the story, one should contact the writer of the story directly.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
No, what I'm saying is the two cases are apples and oranges and really can't be compared to each other, including the rush to public judgment.
LOL. The rush to judgment is the rush to judgment. Your response is exactly what I am talking about.
Old 04-13-2012, 11:42 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSig RC View Post
This is GreekChat, not a Florida court of law. People go off uninformed everyday on this site about 100 different subjects. Nothing said here will impact the Zimmerman trial in any way, shape or form. It's a venue to express opinion, nothing more. Anyone foolish enough to take take information here w/out verifying it themselves, gets what they get.

Quote:
Are you suggeting no one had had anything to say about the Anthony case before it was decided?
~ Luke 19:10
Old 04-13-2012, 11:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post

Are you suggeting no one had had anything to say about the Anthony case before it was decided?
No, I'm saying that you can't compare the two cases at this point. There is no mystery regarding who killed Martin, the main question is whether orbit it was murder or self defense.

Having an opinion on Anthony's guilt or innocence post acquittal is totally different than having an opinion of Zimmermans guilt or innocence pre arrest.
Old 04-13-2012, 12:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyB06 View Post
This is GreekChat, not a Florida court of law. People go off uninformed everyday on this site about 100 different subjects. Nothing said here will impact the Zimmerman trial in any way, shape or form. It's a venue to express opinion, nothing more. Anyone foolish enough to take take information here w/out verifying it themselves, gets what they get.
When your opinion includes inventing or misinterpreting facts or just pure conjecture, there are going to be a lot of folks here who will have the opinion that you should probably not share yours.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma