GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,299
0 members and 1,299 guests
No Members online

Old 03-18-2014, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

Your organization's social media

Interested to hear your thoughts/interactions/impressions of your organization's social media. Answers to any and all questions appreciated.
  • Do you frequent your organization's inter/national website? Is there another site that serves a more relevant purpose (ie. your chapter's website, or an unofficial website/blog)?
  • Do you actively follow your organization's inter/national Facebook page? What about Twitter or Instagram?
  • Are there other social media outlets that are relevant/popular (Pinterest, LinkedIn, GroupMe, or organization mobile app)?
  • Is your organization's official publication/organ still in print or electronic? Which do you prefer? Is it as popular amongst members in sharing organizational highlights versus social media?
  • How is your social media integrated into your conferences? Any cool innovations outside of an official hashtag or handle?
Old 03-18-2014, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

1) Yes, I visit alphaphialpha.net regularly. I also maintain www.notablealphas.com which (humblebrag) is a little more timely when it comes to "good news" of chapters. It also serves as a master list (in progress) of notable members of the fraternity.

2) Yes. I actually follow all the NPHC orgs and do a regular unofficial evaluation of how I think they are performing. I don't think Alpha has an instagram.

3) I would like to see more NPHC orgs on Pinterest. Alpha is on Pinterest but I can tell it's not a priority for them.

4) The Sphinx Magazine is in print and PDF. The mailed copies are notoriously late. I prefer the print edition but the stories are not timely. I would say the bros prefer to share chapter news on social media and would like to see more feature articles in The Sphinx.

5) I haven't been to a convention or conference since 2009. Sorry I can't be of more assistance on that one.
Old 03-18-2014, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
4. Our magazine is in both print and electronic. I personally prefer print - always have. But it's nice to have access to older issues through electronic means - like issues from before I joined (our issues online go back to Fall 2000). I hope they can digitize as many as possible. I just wish they were easier to access. We use issuu, and while I like it, it's a pain in the ass to go and download each issue separately. I wish there was a zip of all digitized issues or something.
I didn't know you could download from issuu. I had to acquire my pdfs through other means.
Old 03-18-2014, 03:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sen's Revenge View Post
I didn't know you could download from issuu. I had to acquire my pdfs through other means.
It has to be enabled, but along the bottom of the issue's display, click on Share, and if it is enabled, there's a link that says Download, and it'll give you the PDF file.

Quote:
  • Do you frequent your organization's inter/national website? Is there another site that serves a more relevant purpose (ie. your chapter's website, or an unofficial website/blog)?
  • Do you actively follow your organization's inter/national Facebook page? What about Twitter or Instagram?
  • Are there other social media outlets that are relevant/popular (Pinterest, LinkedIn, GroupMe, or organization mobile app)?
  • Is your organization's official publication/organ still in print or electronic? Which do you prefer? Is it as popular amongst members in sharing organizational highlights versus social media?
  • How is your social media integrated into your conferences? Any cool innovations outside of an official hashtag or handle?
1) I do frequent our national website, which is http://www.sai-national.org/ - I wish there were more pictures and that the officer portal was actually a member portal accessible to all sisters and also allowing for contact between all sisters from all chapters, alumnae/collegiate, and possibly integrating the listserv sign-up in there as well.

2) Facebook and Twitter, yes. To my knowledge SAI doesn't have an official Instagram page—but it's a wonderful idea, lol. I know of chapters that have their own Instagrams in addition to their Facebook and Twitter profiles and I love getting to see pics from their post-ritual celebrations and also fundraisers, musicales, etc, plus it integrates well with Facebook and Twitter both (particularly Twitter) and eliminates some of the need for double/triple posting depending on how you have it set up.

3) The only one of those mentioned that I know we have is LinkedIn, and I am also a member of that group, though I haven't looked at it recently. Man, I wish we had a Pinterest! There are tons of sisters on there, I know. I follow as many of their SAI boards as I can find (though it's been a while since I looked, having only just gotten my good internet back )

4) Both our newsletter (Tempo!) and our quarterly (Pan Pipes) are available in print and in digital. I have the digital links somewhere but I receive the print copies in the mail, too. I'll have to update my mailing address when I renew my dues. As for which I prefer…I love holding the print version, but it's also nice to be able to have past issues and ones since I've been a member on my iPad and not have the extra bulk.

5) At our last conference, in 2012, we had a special hashtag. Other than that, there wasn't really any social media integration. That said, I'd imagine 2015 may be a different story (at least, I hope so!) in that regard. I've seen mention of the apps and things that other organizations have set up and I could think of some excellent ways that could be used for our St. Louis convention!

Old 03-18-2014, 04:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to DGTess
Do you frequent your organization's inter/national website? Is there another site that serves a more relevant purpose (ie. your chapter's website, or an unofficial website/blog)?

I go to www.deltagamma.org when I need to find something. Forms, rules, bylaws, sister directory, and the like are in the members-only area; I seldom visit the open area.

Do you actively follow your organization's inter/national Facebook page? What about Twitter or Instagram?

Facebook, yes. Twitter, when I log on, but I'm not a Twitter fan. Instagram, never been there. On facebook I follow international, my chapter, my alumnae chapter, and other alumnae chapters I've belonged to.

Are there other social media outlets that are relevant/popular (Pinterest, LinkedIn, GroupMe, or organization mobile app)?

We have LinkedIn pages and Pinterest pages. I seldom go unless I get directed for a specific purpose.

Is your organization's official publication/organ still in print or electronic?

We can view the magazine electronically, and can opt to receive it only electronically.

Which do you prefer? Is it as popular amongst members in sharing organizational highlights versus social media?

Paper rules. I do not like electronic magazines.

How is your social media integrated into your conferences? Any cool innovations outside of an official hashtag or handle?

Can't speak to this.
Old 03-18-2014, 07:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you frequent your organization's inter/national website?
Yes, with some regularity.

Is there another site that serves a more relevant purpose (ie. your chapter's website, or an unofficial website/blog)?
No.

Do you actively follow your organization's inter/national Facebook page? What about Twitter or Instagram?
Facebook, yes. I don't do Twitter or Pinterest.

Are there other social media outlets that are relevant/popular (Pinterest, LinkedIn, GroupMe, or organization mobile app)?
No app that I know of. Our Songbook, complete with recordings of every song, is available in a digital edition. The recordings are also on iTunes. Don't know about LinkedIn or GroupMe—I avoid them like the plague.

Is your organization's official publication/organ still in print or electronic? Which do you prefer? Is it as popular amongst members in sharing organizational highlights versus social media?
The Sinfonian is still in print and is available electronically. I prefer print. The Red & Black (the collegiate newsletter) is only electronic. I'd say they're more popular for longer stories or news and for chapter news than for "highlights."

How is your social media integrated into your conferences? Any cool innovations outside of an official hashtag or handle?
No idea. Hashtags annoy the dickens out of me.