GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,265
4 members and 1,261 guests
chi-o_cat, Cookiez17, indygphib, JayhawkAOII

Old 02-09-2009, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Not to be a "debbie downer" here, but be advised that fraternity boys aren't always reliable sources of info when it come to this sort of thing. Especially since membership stuff typically isn't discussed with non-members.
Yep. It sounds like the sorority is trying to do damage control.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
Yep. It sounds like the sorority is trying to do damage control.
Exactly. This sounds like the sorority is trying to avoid hurting your feelings further, by giving you false hopes. Like I said before, be careful believing anything you hear from a guy about why you didn't get a bid because it's probably false.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
Exactly. This sounds like the sorority is trying to avoid hurting your feelings further, by giving you false hopes. Like I said before, be careful believing anything you hear from a guy about why you didn't get a bid because it's probably false.
Definitely true.

Especially in the system you’re in. Again, I come from a smaller Greek system, also. Whether you have formal recruitment or not, it is a difficult situation when a PNM doesn’t get a bid, especially when they come to your chapter members with questions about why they weren’t accepted.

PNMs tend to ask their friends who are Greek (both at their campus and at others) why they didn’t get a bid, and a lot of times, those friends are guys in fraternities. I was actually approached by my boyfriend’s little brother in his fraternity the other night. He is an RA and he asked me about a girl living on his dorm floor who attended a couple smaller activities with some of my sisters. He mentioned that she went to one of their apartments to hang out one night, and she attended a date auction with them (and I didn't go to either event, so I had no idea as to who he was talking about). He said that she loved our chapter, she was very disappointed when she didn’t receive a bid, and then he asked me if I knew why she didn’t get one (talk about putting me on the spot!). I politely said to him, “I’m not really sure, but I’d encourage her to continue to attend as many sorority events as possible over the next semester.” (Notice I said “sorority” events, not “AST” events). I later found out that she didn't receive a bid because of her GPA, and I told him that she wasn't eligible because of that. If it was for any other reason, I wouldn't have said anything.

And I hate to say it but... For sorority members, saying, "You didn't meet enough sisters" is a very easy way to get out of this sticky situation.

Also try to keep in mind that this one fraternity brother you talked to probably didn’t discuss this with the entire chapter, and only asked one member. Maybe that one member has 3 or 4 sisters that she’s friends with who all really loved you. But maybe the rest of the chapter didn’t. I’m sorry if that sounds harsh, but it could be the reality of the situation, and I just don’t want you to get your hopes up because a random fraternity guy said that the CHAPTER (that he's not even a part of) really wanted you.

@~/~~~~
Old 02-09-2009, 04:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilpadfoot View Post
I was just informed through a good fraternity friend that the sorority that I really liked liked me as well, but I didn't meet enough sisters during rush, and that I should come to their events and rerush in the Fall.
Honestly, I always look at these kinds of statements in the same way I look at this phrase when people are breaking up: "It's not you; it's me. But we can still be friends."

If you still feel very strongly about these women, by all means take advantage of the opportunities they present to you to hang out and get to know each other better. But make sure you don't turn into that girl whose only motive for hanging out with us is to get a bid later.
Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyLonghorn View Post

If you still feel very strongly about these women, by all means take advantage of the opportunities they present to you to hang out and get to know each other better. But make sure you don't turn into that girl whose only motive for hanging out with us is to get a bid later.
Also consider that fact that there may be individual girls in the chapters who could very well like you as a person, but not see you as a member of their sorority.

Lakers Nation.