GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,140
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zolivilittlez29
» Online Users: 1,180
4 members and 1,176 guests
g41965, John, Phrozen Sands

Old 01-28-2009, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a few questions...

I'm a sophomore this year, and informal recruitment starts tonight.

Last fall, I went to a few open houses for one sorority, got a bid from a said sorority, and accepted it, before I really knew anyone. Long story short, I don't really fit with that chapter, and didn't get initiated.
My bid ran out in December.

So, I was planning on checking out the other 5 sororities on campus and I just had a few questions.

If a chapter decides to bid me, can they see that I had a bid from another sorority, and didn't finish with the new member program?

If at an interest party, it happens to come up, should I just be honest and tell them the reason I quit? (That I accepted my bid too soon, and then didn't feel that I really fit in with the chapter?)

Should I bring up the fact that even though I'm a sophomore, I'm probably going to be here for another 3+ years?

I'm in a professional fraternity, related to my major/minor, so would it be okay to talk about that a little bit? It's not part of PHC.

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked 293743298 times before, I'm just a little nervous.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 PM

When you say "last fall" do you mean Fall 2007 or Fall 2008?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Fall 2007.
Old 01-28-2009, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by squishygumibear View Post
I'm a sophomore this year, and informal recruitment starts tonight.

Last fall, I went to a few open houses for one sorority, got a bid from a said sorority, and accepted it, before I really knew anyone. Long story short, I don't really fit with that chapter, and didn't get initiated.
My bid ran out in December.

So, I was planning on checking out the other 5 sororities on campus and I just had a few questions.

If a chapter decides to bid me, can they see that I had a bid from another sorority, and didn't finish with the new member program?

If at an interest party, it happens to come up, should I just be honest and tell them the reason I quit? (That I accepted my bid too soon, and then didn't feel that I really fit in with the chapter?)

Should I bring up the fact that even though I'm a sophomore, I'm probably going to be here for another 3+ years?

I'm in a professional fraternity, related to my major/minor, so would it be okay to talk about that a little bit? It's not part of PHC.

I'm sorry if these questions have been asked 293743298 times before, I'm just a little nervous.

*If your school has a small enough sorority community, it is possible that they know who joined what chapter and who happened to depledge. They may not know why though.

*NOTE: Make sure it has been ONE calandar year since you depledged, as you are not permitted to join another group for one year after depledging a sorority.

A sorority can't offer you a bid if it hasn't been one year yet. So just make sure you have followed the rule.

*If it comes up, I wouldn't lie about quitting, but I don't know that I would go into detail about why. It's not neccessary.

*About the sophomore part, if you can bring that up in a way that is tactful, then do so.

*You can talk about your professional fraternity, but don't go on and on about it. The sorority members want to get to know you.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 01-28-2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
*NOTE: Make sure it has been ONE calandar year since you depledged, as you are not permitted to join another group for one year after depledging a sorority.

A sorority can't offer you a bid if it hasn't been one year yet. So just make sure you have followed the rule.
Clarification please: Is it one calendar year from the date you depledged or one calendar year from when the bid card was signed?
Old 01-28-2009, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansas City View Post
Clarification please: Is it one calendar year from the date you depledged or one calendar year from when the bid card was signed?
From when the bid card was signed. And even then it's the "spirit" of a calendar year - i.e. if she signed the bid on Sept 9 & rush ends Sept 1, she can still go through and sign a new bid.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
From when the bid card was signed. And even then it's the "spirit" of a calendar year - i.e. if she signed the bid on Sept 9 & rush ends Sept 1, she can still go through and sign a new bid.
Right, if the bid was signed in Fall 2007, she would be eligible at the beginning of recruitment in Fall 2008, even if it wasn't 365 days.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
I always wondered that.....so a girl who de -pledged ABC in Fall 07 could have gone through recruitment in Fall of 08? I think I got it!

Old 01-29-2009, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
I always wondered that.....so a girl who de -pledged ABC in Fall 07 could have gone through recruitment in Fall of 08? I think I got it!
Yes. Just think of the bid having an "expiration date" on it like a milk carton - whether you use it partially or not at all, by the time the expiration date comes around, time to toss it!