GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
Closed Thread

Old 05-30-2000, 06:03 PM
shalom says

Question White women in black sororities

Have you ever noticed that most white women whojoin black sororities only date and marry black men? Is this so theycan fit in? Mybestfriend and I were talkinabout this. Is this the white person's way of saying you can never have anything of your own....I will always be there to watch over you and regulate....Well watchand regulate are extreme but what are people's thoughts on this. I plan to post this under a new topic.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-30-2000, 06:49 PM
GreekChat Member

To be honest, I never understood why a white person would WANT to join an NPHC or other African-American fraternity or sorority considering our history and culture.

I've always said that when and if I do meet any of the Caucasian Deltas I've heard about, I'm going to ask them why...forget where she pledged, forget where she lives and even if she's active, I want to know WHY.

I'm not going to say I'm against Caucasian members because I don't know if I'd ever be in a position to vote on a white candidate and I wouldn't want that to come back to haunt me. But I can say that, knowing how some Sorors grill prospective African-American members, if a Caucasian woman can come through, survive, not be bitter, and be TRULY COMMMITTED to our cause and identity, then she has nothing but love and respect from me.

But I digress. It may well be a case of some saying now that segregation and separate but equal is "over" you cannot have a greek org or college/university to yourself. I don't personally know any Caucasian women who are in an African-American sorority, so I can't intelligently address the dating and marriage part of the question. That's a good question. I'm interested to see what springs forth.

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 05-30-2000, 11:46 PM

Cool

I'm making a couple of assumptions here so if I'm wrong or if you feel otherwise feel free to share. =)

I'd guess that people who join BGLOs do so because they grow up around African Americans and relate more to "black culture" than "white culture".

At least that's pretty much been my experience with non white members in "white GLOs".

It's like 12dn94dst wrote:
"knowing how some Sorors grill prospective African-American members, if a Caucasian woman can come through, survive, not be bitter, and be TRULY COMMMITTED to our cause and identity, then she has nothing but love and respect from me."

In the end all that matters is how committed the member is, not what color they are.
Old 05-31-2000, 08:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I would say that most of the white members of BGLO's joined because they liked what the orginization stands for, the liked the sisters, and they felt that it was the best place for them.
Old 05-31-2000, 09:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Smile

To be honest, I don't think white's should join black sororities. Why? Simply because they have there own. Why join ours? Could a white person please tell me why they joined or would join a BGLO's? I really want to know....
Old 05-31-2000, 03:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to equeen
When I first thought about rushing, I considered every GLO on campus - NPC, NPHC, and otherwise. I did a lot of research (mostly online) about nearly every sorority (and some co-ed greeks) on campus. It wasn't so much that I was making a choice among GLOs already at OU; I was evaluating what the sorority I was interested in bringing had to offer, compared against other, obviously successful organizations.

I was impressed not only with the niche that my sisterhood had the potential to fill, but also with the niche that many of the GLOs and BLGOs were already filling. I was particularly impressed by two organizations, one a GLO, and another a BGLO. I was really impressed by the seriousness with which the sisters/sorors took their committments, and just how unique they were and the fun they had within their chapters. It never crossed my mind to not to attempt rushing either one, simply because I wasn't white or black. I was impressed by the standards upheld by the ladies, and I felt it would be an honor and a challenge to be a part of their bond.

Obviously, I rushed/pledged/joined neither of those two organizations...A.S.K. grew too dear to me to contemplate anything else, after a while.
Old 06-01-2000, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

i'm proud to say that AKA does not mandate discrimination based on race, that was why there was a need to start our own sorority, we were not excepted. So how backwards is it to deny someone membership if they really want and can do what it takes to get it. Believe me no white woman will easily roll into a black sorority beating out other black candidates unless she is down for the cause and that is at the discretion of the chapter.
Why they would want to join i think SoCalgirl summed it up.
Old 06-01-2000, 02:45 AM
GreekChat Member

Red face

ooooooooooooooooo Shalom girl should I even bother with this one or should i leave it alone? just tell me cause i tend to make people angry!(smile)
Old 06-01-2000, 11:40 AM
GreekChat Member

This is a forum, you should post what you believe. Not everyone is going to like what everyone has to say. If you bump heads, that is fine, I think that it's just important to be respectful. I think you should post what you believe Prettygyrl.
Old 06-02-2000, 12:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Can you clarify who you are talking about? All non black people or only white people because there is a rainbow in-between.
Quote:
Originally posted by Monique:
To be honest, I don't think white's should join black sororities. Why? Simply because they have there own. Why join ours? Could a white person please tell me why they joined or would join a BGLO's? I really want to know....
Old 06-02-2000, 08:30 PM
shalom says

Go ahead prettygyrl you and I are always being cursed out for our views on things or are either butting heads. As you've seen in other topics on this site, I am not easily offended. I enjoy hearing your opinions....we'll either agree...disagree....or agree to disagree.
So you go girl..........
Old 06-03-2000, 12:08 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

WELL........... I think you are right about them not wanting us to have anything of our own. I mean what are their real interest in sororities founded for BLACK Women especially since their are some sororities that are mostly "white" women! I mean we all know that one of the reasons that the black sororities were founded was because we could not get in to theirs. It turned out to be a very positive thing for black people. I personally think that we should take pride in what was started for US and not for them. I mean dam don't yall wonder why they have to have a piece of everything? I know most of you know what your founders had to go through to get their sororities started on WHITE campuses so why now do they want to be down. I mean really now thiry or forty years ag o how many white people were beating down the doors of bglos to be a part of them. I feel the same about this as the dating thing. I MEAN DAM WE HAVE TO LET THEM IN OUR HBCUS NOW, THEY ARE INTRUDING ON OUR FAMILIES ANDNOW THIS........ I mean why are we so accepting of them when hell they still are not all that dam accepting of us...... I mean really we still underrepresented in just about every dam thing. If you watch he news everyday you hear something new about some sort of racism or a lawsuit a Black person had to bring against white people about something. Dam they practically have all of our dam men now they may exist in your sorority and you have to look upon them as your soror(sister) I do not know about yall but I do not and will not ever have a WHITE sister! Its not about hating them or being racist it just about keeping certain things pure for your people! You do not have to dislike a white a person or be a racist to know that you do not want share your heart with them. Ya get what I am saying. I know people say I am racist and I hate White people but that is not true. THE TRUTH IS I LOVE MY PEOPLE AND WE HAVE TO WORK TO DAM HARD IN THIS WORLD FOR ANYTHING WE HAVE SO WHY WHEN WE GET SOMETHING OF SO MUCH WORTH TO US (SUCH AS OUR BGLOS AND OUR FAMILIES) WHY IS IT THAT WE DO NOT MIND SHARING IT WITH THEM! I MEAN DAM YOU LOOK AROUND IN THIS WORLD TODAY AND SEE THAT MOST OF THE THINGS THAT WE ARE NOW "ALLOWED" TO DO WAS NEVER THEIRS TO KEEP FROM US IN THE FIRST DAM PLACE....YET AND STILL TODAY WE ARE STILL HAVING A HARD TIME! I HAVE SAID IT BEFORE AND I WILL KEEP SAYING IT THE FOUNDERS OF ALL THE BGLOS DID NOT HAVE WHITE PEOPLE IN MIND WHEN THEY STARTED THEIR ORGS AND I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT THEY EVER INTENDED ON WHITE MEMBERSHIP. These are just my personal feelings I hope no one allows themselves to get offended. OH AND WHAT DO YOU THINK SHALOM AGREE OR DISAGREE? I JUST WONDERED HOW YOU FELT CAUSE USUALLY WE ON THE SAME PAGE.(SMILE) OH AND SHALOM GIRL WHERE YOU FROM? IF YOU DO NOT MIND WHY DON'T YOU GIVE ME YOUR E-MAIL ADDY.... I LIKE HOW YOU THINK(SMILE)
Old 06-03-2000, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

prettygyrl, e-mail me... a12deltanu94dst@yahoo.com

------------------
Kelli
12-DN-94
SSU c/o 1997
Old 06-03-2000, 04:14 AM
username

prettygyrl wrote:
"I mean dam don't yall wonder why they have to have a piece of everything?"

prettygyrl wrote:
"I mean really we still underrepresented in just about every dam thing."

Kind of contradicing yourself there prettygyrl? First you say that it is not okay for a group of people to have a piece of everything, then you say it is okay for another group of people to have a piece of everything. Yes, I know you wrote "underrepresented in every dam thing" but this does imply that there should be representation in everything.

In order for one group of people to gain equal representation the rules must apply to all people. Otherwise, it would cause unequal representation. It cannot be considered equal for black people to be allowed entrance into a histocially white college/university if white people were not allowed entrance into a HBCU. In order to get equality you've gotta give equality. This is the idea behind equality for all. If you were to stand in the way of a white person entering a HBCU or a BGLO you would be no different than a white person who would stand in the way of a black person entering a HWCU or a WGLO.

prettygyrl wrote:
"I HAVE SAID IT BEFORE AND I WILL KEEP SAYING IT THE FOUNDERS OF ALL THE BGLOS DID NOT HAVE WHITE PEOPLE IN MIND WHEN THEY STARTED THEIR ORGS AND I HIGHLY DOUBT THAT THEY EVER INTENDED ON WHITE MEMBERSHIP."

So are you saying that BGLOS should not allow white members? At the same time the BGLO founders were establishing these organizations there were also many other organizations which felt the same way you describe about black people. Does how these people (white/black founders) felt back then mean that we should not change this? Does this mean that all of society should not change either? Should we all forget about social progress and just go back to the way people thought 100 years ago? Is that what you really want? Segregation/separation?

After reading many of your posts, prettygyrl, I get confused as to what you say you are fighting for. You may say you want equality & justice, but so much more of your words are saying that you want hatred & anger between white & black people. That's only going to get in the way of progress & change, not help it.
Old 06-03-2000, 09:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Finer Woman10-A-91 Send a message via Yahoo to Finer Woman10-A-91
Talking

You know, Black Sororities are sued for many things. The most common is membership. Would it serve any of the 4 NPHC organizations to open themselves up to law racial discrimination suits?

Ah, a new slant on INCORPORATED legally bounded NON-PROFIT organizations, that pay taxes, and receive lots of grant money.

Admittedly I was taken aback when I began meeting white sorors in ALL of the NPHC.But I have noticed, often these girls work just as hard to prove they did not do it "just to be down."

Am I interested in the NPHC becoming a fully intergrated 50/50 mix? No. Some things are simply best understood by other sistahs. It's about identification.

------------------
Zeta Phi Beta Sorority, Incorporated...Every Finer Woman's Dream!
Closed Thread