GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 1,936
1 members and 1,935 guests
Titchou

Old 08-12-2008, 11:39 AM

To all the worried mommies in the thread:

I think it's worth pointing out that while it's great to have a full schedule of invites, not everyone is going to have that. If your daughter happens to get less than the max number of invites everyday, try not to panic too much, because in the end, she can only get one bid (no matter how full of a schedule she has everyday).

In my opinion, this is something worth mentioning to your daughters, should any of them be upset by their invite list at some point.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-12-2008 at 12:07 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-12-2008, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
To all the worried mommies in the thread:

I think it's worth pointing out that while it's great to have a full schedule of invites, not everyone is going to have that. If your daughter happens to get less than the max number of invites everyday, try not to panic too much, because in the end, she can only get one bid (no matter how full of a schedule she has everyday).

In my opinion, this is something worth mentioning to your daughters, should any of them be upset by their invite list at some point.
Well said! Aumom08 - Your daughter has 4 chapters who WANT her back. It's hard when the numbers fall the way they do but there are 1200+ girls going through rush so it's tough. Also, in those chapters who did cut her there are probably some girls who fought for her and may be sad that she isn't coming back for reasons that are probably beyond their control. Please encourage her to stay in recruitment and give the four chapters who WANT her a chance! It only takes one!
Old 08-12-2008, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks for the kind words everyone. Since she first texted me that she only got 4 invites I have spoke to her and she seems fine. It helps that her roommates, who are also sophomore transfers, only got 6 invites each - both girls had better grades than my daughter and one of the girls is a direct legacy to a former chapter president. She is a competitor and has never really lost or didn't get anything so this rejection is new to her. But when we talked she told me that one of the legacies who was an officer and who wrote a rec for her had called her and told her she only got 3 invites back after the first round so that really made her feel better. She also named over all her independent friends at AU and said that everything happens for a reason so she'll just go with what comes. Since my initial post I have browsed around this site and read a LOT of good information. AChiOhSnap if you're reading this you are great lol. This is really a great site and I wish I had found it sooner.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Auburn update

Just heard from my daughter who's going through recruitment at Auburn. She's got a full shedule, although she did get dropped from one sorority after the first round. She's been to three philanthropy parties this morning and enjoyed them all. She's going to five this afternoon (after a two hour break for lunch). Due to rain and humidity this morning, she's running back to her apartment to straighten her hair again. LOL Overall, it's been a good week so far. We didn't know what to expect since she's first in family to go through recruitment -- no legacy status.

Last edited by AUmom08; 08-12-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

AuburnMom08

Good luck to your daughter. As everyone else has said, it only takes one group. Tell her to keep her head up. Sounds like she's a great girl.
Old 08-12-2008, 01:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Ha! My daughter did the same thing - went home to eat and refix her hair. I'm in the same boat, we have no legacies in our family either although I do have a great family friend who told me what rush was like 40 years ago when she rushed at Alabama. It sounded way more dramatic than what my daughter has done so far - she called bid day "the squealer" and said my daughter would stay home all day on bid day and hope she didn't get "the dreaded knock" which would mean that someone (or everyone) in her room was about to get cut from all sororities. lol we found out that now they do it by phone call so at least we won't be sitting around her apartment all day waiting.

She just ran into a girl she met at her job back home a few weeks before she moved and that girl was stressing about rush way back then. She is a freshman with 12 legacies in her immediate family from a certain sorority and they cut her. My daughter said she was devastated. Poor girl. I'm glad it's not THAT big of a deal for us. I have vaguely heard about how competitive southern sororities were but I really had no idea. SO many girls are rushing this fall - you all should have seen that line waiting to go into the meeting Saturday night. There were 1000 easily, most of them looked like models.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to all the girls this week.

AuburnMom, don't worry too much about your daughter. Like others have said - it only takes one bid. I rushed as a sophomore and only had three invites after IWTs but I got a bid to my sorority and couldn't have been happier.

War Eagle
Old 08-12-2008, 02:11 PM
GreekChat Member

AuburnMom08

Wow, that's crazy that that girl got cut with so many legacies. Just shows that you never know. I believe I heard there were a little over 1200 PRMs this week at Auburn. At Alabama, they've got over 1600 this week, and several of my daughter's friends are going through rush there. I cannot even imagine that kind of competition. k

My daughter's PiChi group had several sophomores in it and a majority of girls were from out of state. She said that a lot of girls in her group had heavy cuts this morning.
Old 08-12-2008, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks ((PinkRose))

I can't remember if I've told you (trying to stealth post while working - ha!) but good luck to your daughter, AUMom.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuburnMom08 View Post
...I do have a great family friend who told me what rush was like 40 years ago when she rushed at Alabama. It sounded way more dramatic than what my daughter has done so far - she called bid day "the squealer"...
LOL! Actually it's "Squeal Day" because...that's what they do when they get their bids in the stadium next door to sorority row. I think Auburn has called it that, too, in the past.
Much good luck to your daughter! Being an upperclassman and getting 4 invites is just fine!
Even if she doesn't get a bid in the end, remember that only part of the Auburn's student body is Greek...I think it's around 25%. That means 75% AREN'T Greek.

Old 08-12-2008, 04:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Just heard from my girl again. She's on her way to her 2nd round of parties. She decided to try the tiger transit panhellenic stop and she and another few girls were standing there waiting for the bus when a guy came by and told them the bus was off until 4:00 - lol - so they are walking up to the hill and gonna catch the bus back down after the parties - at least it's not hot today! She is about to go meet with her favorite so everyone cross their fingers. Said her last meeting was really awkward with the questions they asked so she is expecting they will cut her after this round. I'm crossing my fingers things so well with her favorite and they will invite her back on Thursday.
Old 08-12-2008, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Good luck to your daughter AuburnMom08!!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
LOL! Actually it's "Squeal Day" because...that's what they do when they get their bids in the stadium next door to sorority row. I think Auburn has called it that, too, in the past.
Much good luck to your daughter! Being an upperclassman and getting 4 invites is just fine!
Even if she doesn't get a bid in the end, remember that only part of the Auburn's student body is Greek...I think it's around 25%. That means 75% AREN'T Greek.
LOL yes she told me why it was called that. She said they all sat on their bids and everyone opened them at once and you could hear the "squeals" all over campus. Gotta love the south. And yes, I think I read that something like 34% of AU girls are in sororities but we certainly know some fine girls who are not. Thank you for the kind words. I never imagined how nerve wracking this would be for ME!
Old 08-12-2008, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Phi Mu View Post
Good luck to your daughter AuburnMom08!!
Thank you! You guys are great.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Dear Moms - I think rush is harder on the moms sometimes than the girls (which is why I think I am happy that I have a son). There are 16 great groups at Auburn and hopefully all of your daughters will find the right place for them.

And for the mothers of the upperclassmen - it is harder to get in as a sophomore but it can be done. When I was at Auburn my sorority usually had 2-3 upper classmen in our pledge classes - my pledge class actually had 2 juniors in it. I personally had 5 friends from high school who all got cut on either pref or squeal day our freshmen year - they had all set their hearts on one sorority that usually pledged a lot of girls from our school and that year they only pledged one girl. All five went through rush as a sophomore and all pledged that year because they went through with an open mind and looked at all of the groups instead of concentrating on just one because of it's name.