GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,434
0 members and 1,434 guests
No Members online

Old 09-07-2007, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
If quota is 10, the chapter's first bid list (of 10 names) is in alpha order. The second bid list (everyone else attending their pref parties...in your scenario, 10) would be in order of preference.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-07-2007, 01:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post
Two questions, purely for informational purposes only.

If quota is 10, and there are 20 names on the bid list, and 10 girls are not matched, then the girls whose names are at the lower end of the alphabet are cut simply bc their names appear lower on the alphabetical list?

Is it reasonable to say that there is a higher percentage of "no match" situations for girls whose last names start with a letter later in the alphabet?

If these assumptions are reasonable, has the issue been raised on a large scale?

This scenario really supports the fact that a cut can very well be due to something random and non-personal.

If Quota is TEN then only the first TEN girls are done alphabetically.

Everyone AFTER quota is then done in order of preference.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NutBrnHair
Oh my!!!! AlphaFrog and I responded at the same time AND said the same thing!
Old 09-07-2007, 01:34 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to PenguinTrax Send a message via MSN to PenguinTrax Send a message via Yahoo to PenguinTrax Send a message via Skype™ to PenguinTrax
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post

(Nothing against you, PT - the summer of the Retro is OVER and let's not go there again)
No worries, dear AF!

Use the Search, play nice, and don't make me come in there.
Old 09-07-2007, 01:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by REE1993 View Post
Two questions, purely for informational purposes only.

If quota is 10, and there are 20 names on the bid list, and 10 girls are not matched, then the girls whose names are at the lower end of the alphabet are cut simply bc their names appear lower on the alphabetical list?

Is it reasonable to say that there is a higher percentage of "no match" situations for girls whose last names start with a letter later in the alphabet?

If these assumptions are reasonable, has the issue been raised on a large scale?

This scenario really supports the fact that a cut can very well be due to something random and non-personal.

if quota is 10 for ABC, then the first bid list will have 10 names in alphabetical order. so it would look like this, no matter if girl A was 10th or girl I was first, because quota is 10.
1.A
2.B
3.C
4.D
5.E
6.F
7.G
8.H
9.I
10.J

the second bid list would have the rest of the girls in number order

11.Z
13. Q
14. BB
15. K
16. M
17. L
18. AA
19.GG
20.Y

so for Z to move up to the first bid list, one of the first 10 girls matches to another sorority or she doesn't have ABC on her preference card.

i can see where your concern about later in alphabet girls, but if a girl whose last name is Z, she would only be last on the first bid list, which is up to quota, so if quota was 20, she would be 20 and if she had XYZ on her preference card and she was on the first bid list when it came out she would be an XYZ. it is done alphabetically so when going through the cards, it is just easier.

if you don't recieve a bid and you have maximized your options, it means you were just too far down on a bid list, which is why quota additions are used. but if you suicided DEF and lets say your last name starts with a W, and you didn't make it onto the first bid list, it not because your name, its because you were not high enough (girl 45) and they filled quota(25) before they got to you.

hope this makes sense.

ETA: hahaha, it took me so long to write this, that other people answered it first!

seek the noblest
Old 09-07-2007, 02:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Many many thanks. It's very clear to me now.

Old 09-07-2007, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
Reading this reminds me of a LSAT prep question, oye.
Old 09-07-2007, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Final question: is it a Panhellenic rule, as in it's in the "Green book", that the A list is not ranked? As in everyone is just considered #1? And so that would mean that alphabetizing, or randomly sorting, or whatever has no effect so long as the A list contains the same # of girls as quota?
Old 09-07-2007, 06:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by altered View Post
Final question: is it a Panhellenic rule, as in it's in the "Green book", that the A list is not ranked? As in everyone is just considered #1? And so that would mean that alphabetizing, or randomly sorting, or whatever has no effect so long as the A list contains the same # of girls as quota?
The fact that the first bid list is alphabetical has no affect on what members are chosen, because the first bid list is equal to the number of women in quota.

If quota is 10 and all 10 of the ladies who are on DEF's first bid list put them first, it makes no difference whether Polly PNM is listed 2nd, 5th, or 10th on the list. She's one of the first 10 to match, so she gets a bid.

The only time the rank matters is once you move off the first bid list.

I have a copy of the Green Book around here somewhere - I'll have to pull it out to see whether its specifically stated that the 1st Bid List is alphabetical. (Not sure if its an actual rule, or if its something that has evolved b/c its easier to implement in practice and has no affect on the bids issued from the 1st bid list.)
Old 09-07-2007, 06:04 PM
GreekChat Member

I think that GLO can turn in the list sorted anyway they want right, with the understanding that girls will be matched in order? They just have to follow their own internal policies, which I think might require alphabetizing so that from the group's perspective all first list is number one.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UGAalum94 View Post
from the group's perspective all first list is number one.
It can be easier to comprehend by thinking that all of these girls are in a big "tie" for first place - doesn't matter what order they're listed in, b/c they all "came in first."
Old 09-07-2007, 06:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasmile View Post
It can be easier to comprehend by thinking that all of these girls are in a big "tie" for first place - doesn't matter what order they're listed in, b/c they all "came in first."
I like to think of the first bid list as a "box". If you're in the box, order doesn't matter. If you're in the box you can be matched to that chapter. You stay in the box until you are matched somewhere. If you're not in the box, you "wait in line" (aka the second bid list). You stand in line in order. If you are the next one in line to go in the box, you can only move into the box if someone already in the box matches elsewhere.

Yes, it's lame, but it might help people who are more visually oriented understand bid-matching.

Last edited by violetpretty; 09-07-2007 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:43 PM
GreekChat Member

I have the Green Book. We haven't solved the problem, but if this has a happy ending, I'll let y'all know. Thank you so much for your help!
Old 09-07-2007, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetpretty View Post
I like to think of the first bid list as a "box". If you're in the box, order doesn't matter. If you're in the box you can be matched to that chapter. You stay in the box until you are matched somewhere. If you're not in the box, you "wait in line". If you are in line, you can only move into the box if someone already in the box matches elsewhere.

Yes, it's lame, but it might help people who are more visually oriented understand bid-matching.
Actually, that's a pretty good way of describing it. I might just have to borrow that analogy from you.
Old 09-07-2007, 07:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarasmile View Post
(Though a few of the posters from Illinois can share an example of a problem they had there several years ago...but I think that was right around the time a new system was implemented. And it was a widespread problem that affected many women - not just one person who didn't match the way she wanted.)
That was my rush! It was actually in the middle, though, so corrected invitations were issued a few days later (we had a week off between rounds).