GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,324
1 members and 1,323 guests
Cookiez17

Old 07-06-2016, 09:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Delta Gamma at Texas says they will accept PDFs of the sponsorship form via email but PREFER snail mail. And, they actually say snail mail.

Delta Gamma does not have the online form and it drives me crazy when I hear someone say, "It's easy! They're all online now!"
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-06-2016, 09:22 PM
GreekChat Member

That's true...Alabama and Auburn chapters prefer the hard copies as well.
Old 07-07-2016, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm writing two Alabama recs and both young ladies (and there mothers) have *insisted* that it must be done by mail. I know this to not be true (as Sciencewoman noted, we have moved to all online) but the young ladies/mothers are in an absolute tizzy.

One actually attached the green postage confirmations to her pre-addressed envelopes. When I explained I wouldn't be mailing them, she asked if she needed to go find another alumna who was willing to make that effort. The other mother merely lamented how her daughter was going to make the right impression if I wouldn't be forwarding on the resume and card stock mounted photos so that the chapter could appreciate the effort put into selecting her coordinating stationery choices.

I do hope the continued push towards online recs eventually tones down the crazy folders as they seem to grow more elaborate each year. I received one this year that incorporated ribbon in addition to the half-dozen usual coordinated monogrammed pieces.
Old 07-07-2016, 09:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Interesting. Tell me about the Way Back machine that has them rushing in 1950. Coordinated stationery for a resume and a couple head shots? Clearly this is no rush I'm familiar with.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

The impetus for the Reference Revolution was not chapters like the one I work with -- which received a sum total of 6, yes 6, references last year. It was intended to help chapters who are inundated with recommendations manage/streamline what had become a mountain of overwhelming paperwork, and to help alumnae submit references efficiently. Why would anyone insist on being the snowflake PNM or PNM mama who won't get with the program that will help these chapters and alumnae? That just makes you stand out in a negative way -- no matter how coordinated your stationery is.

This system will be more efficient for chapter members. Without giving too much away, there are new questions on the reference submission that will be helpful...such as adding a PNM's social media links. This will be helpful for all chapters.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 07-07-2016 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

From my observation as a member of our local reference board, the new process of online references has, as you can well imagine, not only been confusing and new for the reference writer but for the pnm as well. It seems that each group has different requirements and it is almost like applying to different colleges depending on how many chapters are on the campus you are attending.
It is my understanding that for Kappa Delta online references are preferred but paper will always be accepted. This year in Dallas, we processed close to 300 references and I would say 1/3+ were online and reference board reviewed, bundled and sent the rest snail mail. Those who used the online method found it easier and less time consuming and they loved that they immediately received a receipt from the chapter that their reference had been received. I work pretty closely with two collegiate reference teams and it is my understanding from them that online is much easier to process and it is time and cost effective to have everything really filed for them and easy to use.
Old 07-07-2016, 01:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Interesting. Tell me about the Way Back machine that has them rushing in 1950. Coordinated stationery for a resume and a couple head shots? Clearly this is no rush I'm familiar with.
That practice was pretty standard even as recently as the late 1990s. My rush packet had several headshots and a résumé on nice paper, since that's what my hometown alumnae Panhellenic had me do. My hometown is a huge feeder for the SEC and SEC-style schools so I wouldn't be surprised if they still expect that.

After I rushed and was initiated, my big told me all about this package they received about me. They were quite surprised!
Old 07-07-2016, 05:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenidallas View Post
I do hope the continued push towards online recs eventually tones down the crazy folders as they seem to grow more elaborate each year. I received one this year that incorporated ribbon in addition to the half-dozen usual coordinated monogrammed pieces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubaiSis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchkin03 View Post
That practice was pretty standard even as recently as the late 1990s. My rush packet had several headshots and a résumé on nice paper, since that's what my hometown alumnae Panhellenic had me do. My hometown is a huge feeder for the SEC and SEC-style schools so I wouldn't be surprised if they still expect that.
Recalling the 1990's resume that included an outdoor, full-length photo of a rushee wearing a skirt and shoulder wrap made from her family's tartan colors (a fact ever-so-casually mentioned within her info pack). Wonder if she wore same outfit during Open House parties?
Old 07-07-2016, 05:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Alabama's Greek Chic (recruitment handbook) definitely makes the statement for paper recs...that's where the PNMs are getting it. See pages 20 & 21 here:
http://www.uapanhellenic.com/greek-chic.html
Old 07-07-2016, 10:37 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been sending hard copies although my GLO has online forms. Why - I'm technologically outdated and do not have a printer that scans. I haven't been told by any of the schools I have sent them to that they won't be accepted. They may prefer them on line but I feel confident they will accept them "old school".
Old 07-08-2016, 12:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Who's going to tell a precious 75-year-old alumna who doesn't have a computer that her hand-written copies won't be accepted?
Nobody, of course.

Every year - and I do mean EVERY year - I receive at least one "fancy" packet. Monogrammed, color-coordinated stationery, card stock (which drives me nuts - the damn stuff is heavy!), color-coordinated clips and bound with a ribbon in one of my sorority's colors.
This year's gem was a pastel gem clip binding it all together.

But most are on plain paper.

Back in the day, we heard tales of chapters receiving big tins of popcorn during work week with the rushee's photo on the top. Or stacks of pizzas delivered to the house with the rushee's photo on each lid. I personally never saw it but I heard about it!

Old 07-08-2016, 01:35 AM
GreekChat Member

Interestingly, my organization moved to exclusive online submissions several years ago. We have a 75 year old member in our alum group who caught on to this process very easily. Sometimes she has a few questions, usually when a PNM does not give us docs in the correct format (JPeg photo, pdf resume). The decision to move to total online was so that the recommendations could be tracked at our HQ and then sent to the right chapter's inbox. It was a bit of a transition to go paperless but I haven't heard a chapter complain, including our Alabama girls. The girls submit to our APH in paper and online format and that way everyone can work it out as their organization requires. I still use the hard copy as a reference so I don't go blind trying to read this stuff online. Sure don't miss my trips to the post office!
Old 07-08-2016, 01:43 AM
GreekChat Member

Interestingly, my organization moved to exclusive online submissions several years ago. We have a 75 year old member in our alum group who caught on to this process very easily. Sometimes she has a few questions, usually when a PNM does not give us docs in the correct format (JPeg photo, pdf resume). The decision to move to total online was so that the recommendations could be tracked at our HQ and then sent to the right chapter's inbox. It was a bit of a transition to go paperless but I haven't heard a chapter complain, including our Alabma girls. The girls submit to our APH in paper and online format and that way everyone can work it out as their organization requires. I still use the hard copy as a reference so I don't go blind trying to read this stuff online. Sure don't miss my trips to the post office!
Old 07-08-2016, 07:10 AM
GreekChat Member

I agree about the trips to the post office. The folders are the rule, not the exception here. I had to put a basket on my front porch for overflow mail when I was our area reference coordinator as the postman couldn't get the oversized envelopes into my mailbox.

Having worked the "back room" during recruitment at several chapters, the online recs will be wonderful. Almost all campuses have moved to online applications to manage PNMs (ICS is what I have seen at all the schools I've worked with) and organizations have developed their own software and mobile apps to interface with it and manage parties, membership selection, etc.

Frankly, this makes information MORE accessible to general members of the chapter who have a greater chance now of seeing a PNM's rec than in the past where all that paperwork was managed in a back room where only a few chapter members ventured during those long recruitment days.
Old 07-08-2016, 07:31 AM
GreekChat Member

OOOH! All the chapter members can see all the recs???? Even the 'no" recs? Boy, that could be a can of worms!

Last edited by FSUZeta; 07-08-2016 at 08:31 AM.