GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,453
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zamesyandext578
» Online Users: 1,682
0 members and 1,682 guests
No Members online

Old 07-31-2008, 02:01 PM
keystone 209

All Greek Events

a

Last edited by keystone 209; 09-05-2008 at 02:21 AM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-31-2008, 02:12 PM
GreekChat Member

As far as recruitment -
My campus hosts an activities fair day each semester. It basically gives all student organizations a chance to "recruit" for freshman/transfer students. We have tables, booths, food (free from the University), and other activities that go on during the fair. Since it's hosted by the school, it always has high attendance.

As far as Greek image -
An all-Greek social will usually help improve communication between councils/chapters, but if you're wanting to improve your image with the general population, I'd suggest some kind of large scale service event. One thing that my campus does (during Greek Week) is "Fit and Fun Day." It's hosted by our MGC and is basically a carnival for Boys and Girls Club/YMCA. We have field day activities and programs that promote healthy eating and lifestyles. Greek Life also hosts an all-Greek Halloween Carnival for children in the community (alternative to walking around in neighborhoods).

If you search the community service threads, you should be able to get some more ideas.

Old 07-31-2008, 03:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keystone 209 View Post
Hi everyone. I'm the new IGC president at Rowan University. I had a past post describing the current (crappy) state of Greek life here right now, I guess it got deleted? No idea, not here anymore. Anyway, in an effort to promote more Greek unity on campus, my e-board is trying to plan a few events this semester that gets all the chapters involved and promotes an overall good image of Greek life to the campus, especially admins. We've had some trouble in the past few years and Greeks are getting a bad rep because of a few select people/organizations' mistakes. I was just wondering, what kind of events do other campus' hold for everyone to get together? I know a plan for an all-Greek social is in works, but besides that, we don't know what to do that will both foster good relationships beyond our individual organizations as well as entice unaffiliated students with more "benefits" of being Greek at Rowan. I apologize if this topic has been covered before, I tried to search but didn't get many relevant posts back. We already do homecoming and Greek Week, but that really tends to drive us all apart in fierce competition.
Have a day a week where all groups wears their letters (greek pride day). Sponsor speakers that would interest the entire student body, then as the IGC president, get up and do an introduction of the speaker and put in a subtle plug for greek life. And then, campus-wide philanthropy projects. Try and get the student paper to cover the speakers and the philanthropy projects to get some free positive PR going.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 07-31-2008, 04:12 PM

If you want to make your Greek community stronger, do that first, and THEN worry about recruitment. Have a round table or something similar where the groups can work out any conflicts they might have in PRIVATE. And impress that if people don't change their ways, sanctions will be forthcoming.

I mean an all Greek community event sounds good, but if you have problems with groups interacting in a positive manner, the last thing you want is for the whole college community to see it.
Old 07-31-2008, 04:15 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Excellent point.

Old 07-31-2008, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

A good idea for both Greek unity and a way to attract students: study groups

Break down the Greeks into majors (engineering, political science, international business, etc.), or even general categories (math, history, science, etc.), depending on the number of Greeks on your campus. Create groups within those categories to form study groups (hopefully having every member of each group from a different Greek org.)

Advertise to the students on campus that you’re offering a group for them to study with. Establish dates and times that each member of the group can make it to. Two or three dates would be good for each group. And study in neutral places. The library, the lobby of a dorm, etc.

And even if no one comes, the Greeks can study with each other… and find someone else who might be able to help them with homework in the future!

Another idea: Faculty/Staff Appreciation Day

Some schools sponsor an event like this anyway, but that doesn’t matter. The faculty will love you for it. Send out personal invites describing the event. Have it in an open area all day. Provide food. If you have to charge for it, have a portion of it go toward a charity. Do a 50/50 raffle, again donating money to a charity. Have the Greeks vote beforehand for faculty superlatives. Maybe even make a small “yearbook”, or pamphlet with their pictures and their new title. The funniest faculty member, the shyest, the one that is always seen in a certain eatery on campus, etc. Vote for the professor and/or faculty member of the year. And make sure to invite your dean/chancellor. Present them with a small gift on behalf of the Greeks. Or… present a gift to the campus, similar to a class gift.

@~/~~~~