GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,416
0 members and 2,416 guests
No Members online

Old 05-14-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
Since NPC says you have to be enrolled full time at the institution where the chapters are, how does this impact the chapters' ability to pledge the woman? In other words, being allowed to participate in recruitment may not = being allowed to pledge.
If this is a NPC rule, how could a Blinn Team PNM pledge any chapter? Can the national/international group have rules that contradict NPC rules?
Old 05-14-2014, 01:02 PM
GreekChat Member

If certain groups are unable to pledge these women due to national rules, then why should they even attend their parties?
Why waste anyone's time; the chapter and the PNM's?
It seems unfair for a PNM to visit a chapter that she will not be able to join due to her status. Not that it doesn't happen with grade cuts, but this is pretty outright.

Last edited by BAckbOwlsgIrl; 05-14-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-14-2014, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishpipes View Post
If this is a NPC rule, how could a Blinn Team PNM pledge any chapter? Can the national/international group have rules that contradict NPC rules?
The University determines who is enrolled properly. The individual group determine all other requirements.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Meanwhile, Bama, Auburn, and U.Ark. are happily accepting the students from the 9-10% from those top uber competitive schools....
Yes. Don't forget OU, LSU, and Ole Miss.

The schools have more or less invented a new category of student here. Are they full-time enrolled undergraduates? Kinda. At least, there's an argument for treating them that way.

What Texas is doing is unique AFAIK. Montana State also allows students enrolled in its junior college to live in MSU housing, use student services, etc., but I don't think they've made a path to Greek life.
Old 05-14-2014, 02:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titchou View Post
The University determines who is enrolled properly. The individual group determine all other requirements.
What Titchou said. My understanding (and I really could be wrong, because it is such a different program & it is being looked at from all angles) is that they ARE, in fact, considered full A&M students, just taking some/most of their prerequisite courses at Blinn. Which is why they are allowed A&M housing, etc... But the PERCEPTION is that they aren't "real" A&M students. Someone who knows the intricacies of the BT program can/should speak to this more clearly than I have...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAckbOwlsgIrl View Post
If certain groups are unable to pledge these women due to national rules, then why should they even attend their parties?
Why waste anyone's time; the chapter and the PNM's?
It seems unfair for a PNM to visit a chapter that she will not be able to join due to her status. Not that it doesn't happen with grade cuts, but this is pretty outright.
I'm not sure anyone knows for sure if/which groups are acting as if they can't take BT groups in a black & white manner. Since the argument can be made either way (are they full-time A&M students? Are they not?) then I think this year will be a learning curve for all groups with relationship to their nationals, the interpretation of the rules both nationally and locally, and taking a look at each candidate personally. In the example I gave earlier, I think a local chapter could make the argument to bid Person A.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I was wondering that too--and also wondering if they had a local (or locals) that were associate members of the college panhellenic council that perhaps did not have to follow the NPC rule on that? Just a thought.

Warning: The above post may be dripping in sarcasm and full of smartassedness.
Old 05-14-2014, 03:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by summer_gphib View Post
I was wondering that too--and also wondering if they had a local (or locals) that were associate members of the college panhellenic council that perhaps did not have to follow the NPC rule on that? Just a thought.
No...there aren't...they are all NPC http://cpc.tamu.edu/sororities

OOPS Didn't see that last one! So I'm an idiot, and missed Zeta Beta Sigma! Maybe that's what's driving it?

Last edited by shirley1929; 05-14-2014 at 03:27 PM. Reason: I'm an idiot
Old 05-14-2014, 03:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry for double-post I never knew ZBS existed (and it's logo is not inline or in color with the others, so I never noticed it on their website)! Interesting!
Old 05-14-2014, 04:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I am a NPC member in an area of Texas where as many kids go to A&M as Blinn due to the competitive nature of our local 5A schools. For what it's worth, fraternities have been able to rush and pledge Blinn Team guys but until now, sororities were not able to. I think that is why sophomore quotas came in to play at A&M and UT and a few other schools followed suit. That change caused many questions, issues, opinions as this will but it has been more positive than negative once people got used to the idea. It will be the same way here. For the most part, Blinn Team students ARE considered a part of A&M. To answer the OP question, I think it's worth it to go through recruitment provided you are able to get references lined up and you have a solid GPA. At the very least, you will meet many girls (PNM's and members) and get to have an inside look at Greek life at A&M. Since we don't know how the week will really play out since this is new to everyone, you can make your decision whether or not to pursue it after you see who invites you back. It's the old cliche "you won't know unless you try"....and who knows, you just might find your sisters!
Old 05-14-2014, 09:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Zeta Beta Sigma is a Jewish interest sorority which has been on A&M's campus for several years. They are an affiliate member of panhellenic. The have been approved by the collegiate panhellenic to seek NPC affiliation. This is in the early stages.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:24 AM

Soooo...

-This wasn't decided until May 1 leaving BT girls less time to find recs.

-The school is saying there are chapters who can't take BT girls.

Is it just me or does this sound like a hot ass mess waiting to happen?

It would be one thing if this was a school with a laid back rush that requires little money investment (both in rush oufits and fees) and where you don't really need recs. Since this is neither, it doesn't seem fair to use these girls as guinea pigs before all the kinks are worked out.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

First of all, you can't spit in Texas and not hit an alum of all the groups at A & M. So getting recs in Texas is not that difficult. Second, there are always groups who can't take a segment of the PNMs who are allowed to participate(GPA - remember?).

Do you purposely take the negative side just to stir things up or do you just see the glass half empty? Maybe you just like to play devil's advocate. At least you're consistent.
Old 05-15-2014, 07:21 AM
Super Moderator

I think it was done due to parent pressure, just like that formal spring rush that UGa did about 5 years ago for the same reason. Tons of smart and fabulous girls coming in at midterm due to numbers and then being cut in the fall bc they were sophomores.
Old 05-15-2014, 08:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Well, I was "hearing" about BT girls being able to rush before May 1, so even though the OP said A&M CPC said they decided on May 1, I'm a little skeptical.

I'm not Nancy-in-the-know about A&M, so I think they've been talking about it for awhile... And I do think (for the most part) these BT girls know they will likely face hard cuts, but they are just grateful to participate in the process.

I was generalizing again, but I'm sure Sally Snowflake who barely made BT and doesn't know anyone, but is SURE she's going to be the top rushee is out there...
Old 05-15-2014, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

I have had many friends do Blinn team and unless they tell someone they are blinn team no one knows. I realize the sororities will know they are BT. BT students can now do everything a direct admit can. Including living on campus, dining, sports pass, rec center, medical center and more. Also many students take basics at blinn even when fully accepted at TAMU. I think its a great move. In fact the rumor is by 2025 there will be no direct admit freshmen, bli n will be the freshmen campus. Blinn just purchased facilitiesto begin this process .