GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Recruitment Stories
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Recruitment Stories This is the forum where you should place posts about your Recruitment experiences. General questions about Recruitment should be posted in the main Recruitment forum.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,478
2 members and 2,476 guests
John, Phrozen Sands

Old 09-09-2010, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Maryland "not-so-retro" Recruitment Story!

I had participated in formal recruitment at a school in the south and it didn’t work out for me. ☹ I was completely devastated seeing as all of my friends got into houses that they loved. I ended up transferring to Maryland and after talking it out with my mother chose to go through formal recruitment AGAIN! She warned me not to put my whole heart into it because she was afraid that I would feel rejected and hurt like I did the year before but I wanted to do it anyway.

I know my name gives away the ending to the story but I’m going to tell you guys anyway if anyone cares to listen? I could even do the first recruitment story afterwards.

I’m going to name the chapters after Friends characters..

Rachel
Monica
Phoebe
Ross
Chandler
Joey
Marcel
Gunther
Richard
Janis
Mike
Carol
Susan
Emily

KICKOFF!
Round 1: Union Tours
Round 2: House Tours/Philanthropy
Round 3: Skit
Round 4: Pref Night
BID DAY!

I'll post the first round soon!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 09-09-2010, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

if will be fun to read your story!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:30 AM
GreekChat Member

yay!
Old 09-09-2010, 09:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Yay Janice! You LOVE me Chandler Bing!
Old 09-09-2010, 01:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Yay a Maryland story!! I can't wait for it!

Old 09-09-2010, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Kickoff !!

I went to kickoff and was slightly nervous because unlike my southern school I did not know anyone else rushing and I was a sophomore. Luckily when I met with my group I realized that I was not alone. There were 3 other sophomores in my rush group and everyone was very friendly.

Each person was very different and I could already tell we would all have different opinions on the houses that we liked! My Rho Gam seemed really nice but she was a bit spacey and throughout the process was not the most helpful! (I guessed her house correctly the very first time I saw her!!)

The next day Union Tours began and they were split up into two days of seven chapters. I was told they do recruitment in the student union the first round so that people do not form opinions based on houses and things like that because a lot of sorority houses are under renovations!

UNION TOURS DAY 1

I arrived to the student union and met with the Rho Gam to figure out what chapters we were seeing that day! She gave us the sheet and it said Monica, Chandler, Gunther, Janis, Mike, Marcel and Ross. I was so excited! There were definitely some houses I was interested in on this list and I had heard a lot about Monica so I was excited to go there first!

Monica – Just as I thought, I really enjoyed talking to the girls at Monica. They were all very friendly and outgoing! I was slightly intimidated because almost all the girls in the room were gorgeous! I had heard that this chapter was considered one of the prettiest. I definitely wanted to go back!

Chandler – The girls at this house were very cute. They weren’t as gorgeous as the Monica’s but they all exuded an air of confidence that I really liked. I hit it off with the girl I talked to and she was from the same small town as a friend! I really wanted to go back and talk to more girls at this house too!

Gunther – I hadn’t heard much about this house before going into recruitment so I thought it would be neat to talk to the girls. One girl from my high school is a Gunther and she said hi to me. Conversation here was very awkward and the girl asked me my major twice. I couldn’t tell if she was nervous or just an awkward person. I didn’t really feel a connection with this house although their sisterhood seemed strong.

Janis – The girl I talked to at this house also rushed as a sophomore and transferred which made me feel good because I was told that this house did not take very many sophomores. Conversation here flowed easily but I never felt comfortable talking to her. I wanted to go back based solely off their “status.”

Mike – There were not as many sisters present at this chapter. The girl I talked to made me feel very uncomfortable because she was so nervous and didn’t know what to say or ask. I had heard that this house was the “worst” and tried to go in with an open mind but I really just couldn’t see myself as a sister here. I did not want to go back.

Marcel – All the girls in Marcel seemed to look EXACTLY alike and I did not fit the mold at all. From seeing them around campus they all dressed the same too. Other than that they were all very sweet girls although sometimes the girl I talked to kept bring up the designer and name brand things that she has which I thought was strange. I liked this house more than Mike and Gunther but I do not see myself at this chapter.

Ross – Last House of the Day! I REALLY liked the girls at Ross! I talked to three different girls including the President and the conversation was more interesting and lively than any of the other houses! We talked about things I was actually interested in instead of the same old conversation at every other house! I DEFINITELY wanted to go back here!
Old 09-09-2010, 08:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Of course I want to hear a Maryland story!
Old 09-13-2010, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ZetaGirl22
OMG a Maryland story! Keep going
Loved by a Zeta Psi