GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,450
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zluspitt7200
» Online Users: 2,233
4 members and 2,229 guests
naraht, Phrozen Sands, Xidelt

Old 08-27-2010, 11:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by USM2012 View Post
Recruitment is coming up very soon, and we have a large number of black ladies signed up for recruitment. We are in the deep south, so even though it isn't always obvious, racial tension is here. There are 2 black girls that i would LOVE to have in my chapter. They would be great assets and would fit in, I think.

A few days ago in meeting, we asked if anyone would have a problem with giving a bid to a black woman. No one said anything, and I can't think of anyone in particular who would be bothered enough to complain. Our recruitment chair said to contact her privately if you wanted to. Well, someone apparently talked to her, and now they're saying they don't want to give a bid to a black girl because it will split our chapter, and nothing is worth splitting the chapter over.

It's not really for "racist" reasons, but more for a concern of what others will think (which I don't particularly think is an excuse at all, but that's just me). A few members are concerned because no one on campus in CPC has ever done it before, and we lost a huge group of seniors and half of my pledge class is gone. We have been one of the largest on campus for years, but in the last couple months, are numbers are suffering, and they don't want to do anything that nobody else is doing to risk making quota. I understand not risking whatever it is we're apparently risking by giving a bid to some random girl we don't really care for, but I think that if we really really love a girl, it's completely racist to cut her just because of her race.

This is really eating away at me and I would love some objective opinions. I love my chapter more than life itself, but the idea that we could be so shallow really hurts me. What do you guys think?
I am reading a dissertation about what positive changes could happen if NPC sorority women would live their lives according to their rituals. I'm only about 40 pages into it (written by Mari Ann Callais... a great read, I must add). If these women fit your ideal, they have the grades, can fulfill every other requirement (full-time student, campus involvement, can pay dues), there should be no concern. I don't get it. Maybe I am naive, but I don't get it.

ONE PERSON spoke against it (privately). Is this really something that can "split" your entire chapter?

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-27-2010, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Sorry guys, I wasn't trying to start drama. I wanted to post both sides so that other greeks could give me advice. I feel like the whole thing is shallow and we should be past things like this, but it's not me.

So my question is now? What should I do?

Last edited by USM2012; 08-27-2010 at 08:07 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kddani View Post
Please tell me this is made up drama....
I wish.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDaisy128 View Post
What do your advisers think of this? I know our recruitment/membership advisers in school would NEVER allow this to even be an issue. We looked for certain qualities in PNMs regardless of race, religion, disability, etc.
You're lucky. At some schools, the advisors are the very ones who are clinging to this mindset when the chapter itself is completely color blind.

To the OP: I could tell you to be a martyr, self-terminate and make sure everyone knows exactly why. That's asking a lot of you though.

Are these girls freshmen or are they older - that is, have they already had time to think about NPHC groups. I'm just saying this in the context of are they jumping on NPC because it's all they can jump on now, or because they truly want what your sorority has vs what an NPHC group has.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Well, at the end of the day, you can only follow your chapter's member selection policies, and hope that others do as well. You can talk it into the ground, but it might not change anything.

Members of your chapter cannot bar these women from going through recruitment at all, so if theyr'e worthwhile, meet standards, and [insert member selection criteria + voting results here] for your chapter and recieve a bid, then cross that bridge when you get there. If they don't and/or don't get the dart through their name while you're wearing all of your catsuits, then hopefully they'll meet another chapter's standards and will be picked up.

Members of miniorities in chapters on my campus was a not-altogther uncommon thing (considering the overall racial makeup of the school population), but my campus is a-typical in just about every way and probably a complete 180 from yours.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by agzg View Post
Well, at the end of the day, you can only follow your chapter's member selection policies, and hope that others do as well. You can talk it into the ground, but it might not change anything.

Members of your chapter cannot bar these women from going through recruitment at all, so if theyr'e worthwhile, meet standards, and [insert member selection criteria + voting results here] for your chapter and recieve a bid, then cross that bridge when you get there. If they don't and/or don't get the dart through their name while you're wearing all of your catsuits, then hopefully they'll meet another chapter's standards and will be picked up.
Thanks for the reply. I really hope that things work out. I like to think that my sisters will do what's right when the time comes, but I can't know for sure. This is my first time going through recruitment, so people won't really listen to me. I will quit the chapter if we love a girl but cut her only because of her race. I love my sisters, but I can't be a part of something that goes against everything I stand for.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

Are these girls freshmen or are they older - that is, have they already had time to think about NPHC groups. I'm just saying this in the context of are they jumping on NPC because it's all they can jump on now, or because they truly want what your sorority has vs what an NPHC group has.
It's a long story, but we know both personally. They know what the want.

Last edited by USM2012; 08-27-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Thanks for the reply. I really hope that things work out. I like to think that my sisters will do what's right when the time comes, but I can't know for sure. This is my first time going through recruitment, so people won't really listen to me. I will quit the chapter if we love a girl but cut her only because of her race. I love my sisters, but I can't be a part of something that goes against everything I stand for.
I do understand that. Please understand that if you terminate your membership you will be ineligible for membership in any other NPC or NPHC sorority at any point in time.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm aware of that. I have no interest in going through recruitment again. I love my sisters dearly and could never see myself anywhere else.

Last edited by USM2012; 08-27-2010 at 08:06 PM.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm aware of that. I have no interest in going through recruitment again. I love my sisters dearly and could never see myself anywhere else. Plus I will be a senior next year so that would just be a waste of my time.
OK cool. We get that question a lot more than you would think.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:40 PM
GreekChat Member

I know this doesn't fix the problem but I really wish that minority women especially would consider ALL their options including NPHC (not that we can be sure these ladies haven't) because if I see one more "I'm in an NPC but now want to pledge NPHC" on sites like yahoo answers...

Do the research people. So you can make an informed decision.
Old 08-27-2010, 12:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post
I know this doesn't fix the problem but I really wish that minority women especially would consider ALL their options including NPHC (not that we can be sure these ladies haven't) because if I see one more "I'm in an NPC but now want to pledge NPHC" on sites like yahoo answers...

why do that when the internet can think for you?
Law and Order: Gotham - “In the Criminal Justice System of Gotham City the people are represented by three separate, yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, the District Attorneys who prosecute the offenders, and the Batman. These are their stories.”
Old 08-27-2010, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhoyaltempest View Post

That's exactly why I posted what I did. Then again, if everyone had deferred rush it would help remedy this a lot, but that's another story.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Back away from the keyboard and figure this out for yourself.
Old 08-27-2010, 01:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Quote:
Back away from the keyboard and figure this out for yourself.
And stop being so indiscrete. Maybe you used your middle name, but now you're providing information about the PNMs, and I'm betting many people from your school reading this thread could put all the pieces together without much trouble. That's not fair to your sisters or to the PNMs.