GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,230
2 members and 2,228 guests
Cookiez17, PGD-GRAD
Closed Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 08:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to preciousjeni
Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
There is a possibility that seems to have been overlooked. It is possible that the poster is a Christian and was only invited back to one of the predominantly Jewish sororities. If this were the case, it wouldn't make sense for her to return if she felt she could never be comfortable there.

I have no idea if this is the case. But there are possible explanations that a PNM might not feel expressing in a public place with the PC police on the troll throughout the world.

Just a thought.
You are reaaaaaaaaaally reaching.

Talented, tested, tenacious, and true...
A woman of diversity through and through.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-09-2009, 09:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swtlilsoni View Post
what about people who dont accept bids? Is that not okay?
Personally, no, I don't think that's okay. When you sign an MRABA (pref card, bid card, etc.), you are saying that you will ACCEPT a bid to any chapter listed. So if you get a bid and don't accept it, you are going back on your word. If you know you will refuse a bid, you shouldn't list a chapter. This brings up other issues with ISP'ing (suiciding) and whatnot. I think PNMs should have the right to do that if they want. But I am also for having PNMs give a chapter a chance with their new member period.

Quote:
Basically, are you saying that its wrong to not want to join a certain sorority or have preferences among chapters?
I don't think that anyone said it is wrong to have preferences. But some believe it is wrong to disrespect a chapter that has issued an invitation to you by not showing up. As others have mentioned, if you had gone back, you might have been preffed by your future BFF or big sis. Just because you hadn't already made a personal connection doesn't mean the potential isn't there. Had you already met and spent time with every single member?

Quote:
I mean, after attending each party we have to rank the chapters in order of preference .. is that wrong?
No, that is part of the mutual selection process. You rank, and chapters rank. It has to work somehow, and this way works the very best. It is designed to try and create parity amongst the chapters on a campus and keep the already huge from getting bigger. If there is no semblance of parity, chapters will start to fail. Then PNMs are left with fewer options.

Quote:
If a girl is in a certain chapter that fits her, are you saying that she would have been just as fine in any of the other ones?
Perhaps, perhaps not. That girl will never know, because she's not in that chapter. I think many of the women on GC will attest to the fact that they could have very easily been a member of a different organization on their campus. In fact, I think there are even several threads about this.

Quote:
I still feel like there are certain chapters you fit in and certain chapters that arent right for you ..
But that is based on observations made during a couple nights of formal recruitment and what you may have heard from other people or briefly observed during fall semester as an outsider. You don't know for a fact whether or not you will fit if you don't give it a chance. It's like brussels sprouts. Other people might think they are nasty. And then when they are placed in front of you, you might think they look unappetizing and smell bad. But until you actually put one in your mouth and chew, you can't honestly say that you don't like brussels sprouts.

Quote:
I'm really not trying to argue or anything I'm just trying to understand if by what your saying, you mean any sorority is good for any girl and one can fit in any of them? or are you saying since they think I was a fit they must have been correct?
Yes, maybe. Nothing in life or recruitment is black and white. But they saw qualities in you that they were looking for in a new member. You can't say that even you know all of your talents right now. And I would venture to say that most sororities are diverse in their membership. Everyone has scholars, leaders, athletes, partiers, etc. So, yes, any girl who is interested in sorority membership will find a way to fit in with the chapter that finds her worthy of membership.

Quote:
Well sometimes a girl finds a connection but the sorority eliminates her right? So why is it not okay if a sorority finds a connection but a girl doesnt?
Again, you might not have had the appropriate time or situation to find that connection. They have found one. They are willing to take the chance on you and try to give you the opportunities to make connections through their new member program. I have seen new members bawling on Bid Day because they got their second choice, but then go on to become highly successful leaders of their sorority. Things work out. But it is a two way street - you have to give a little, too.

Quote:
And those girls that I know .. I know them but it doesnt mean I'm good friends with them. Think back to highschool, didn't you know a bunch of people but you fit in and had a bond with others? I know these girls and I speak to them and see them around every now and then but we never had enough of a connection to become good friends.
And perhaps they have lamented that fact and now want to get to know you better by inviting you to their sorority recruitment functions.

Quote:
And you're probably right that even in my top choice there are going to be a few girls I dont have a bond with .. but does that make it equivalent to another choice in which I haven't found a bond with anyone save one or two in?
A bond with one or two is a lot more than some people have found in their first choice prior to Preference.

If recruitment was organized in a way such that all PNMs just got to join whoever they wanted, it would be terribly chaotic and uneven. This mutual selection process helps to manage chapter sizes and the Panhellenic system and provide opportunities for most PNMs to find a sorority. Bottom line here is that a chapter decided that you would be a good match to them. Perhaps they saw your leadership skills in an area that they are lacking.

Not necessarily speaking about you here swtlilsoni, but I am a little put off by PNMs who decline invitations to chapters that they deem to be beneath them. If you are so fantastic and have such an awesome leadership background, join this chapter and take a leadership role. If a PNM thinks she knows so much about a chapter and what's wrong with it, she should join and make it better. All chapters are recruiting future leaders.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:12 PM
GreekChat Member

This scenario isn't new. Every PNM is going to have favorites and there may be a chapter or 2 were they know they would not be happy at. Fair or not, right or wrong, their reasonings may be based on knowing numerous members, gossip, gut feelings, who knows.

I'm sure we all agree that it is not fair for a chapter to string along a PNM with party invitations knowing they will cut her before Pref. One of the primary reasons RFM was created was to cut/eliminate this. But the same thing applies to a PNM who strings a chapter along with no intention of accepting a Pref invite or bid. Don't accept their early round invitations just to have a full party schedule. It's not fair to that chapter who gave an uninterested PNM one of their limited number of invites/bids. It's not fair to the other PNMs who would have gladly accepted that invite/bid, but never got the chance.

Last edited by Zillini; 02-09-2009 at 12:15 PM.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
hmm well I have a question for you
what about people who dont accept bids? Is that not okay?
It's fine to not accept a bid: It's when the person doesn't accept the bid and (1) they haven't given the sororities a chance and (2) they complain about why they haven't been given a bid.

I dropped out of formal my freshman year. I felt lost in the sea of goregeous blondes and wasn't even sure I wanted to be in a sorority. (I honestly didn't think it was right for me. I felt really uncomfortable with every chapter on campus.) So trust me, I'm not judging you for dropping out of formal and looking for alternate recruitment routes. It's what I did... but my reasons were quite different. I also (even as a naive freshman) never thought a chapter was beneath me. I never whined and complained about why I hadn't been offered a bid to a good group.

Quote:
Basically, are you saying that its wrong to not want to join a certain sorority or have preferences among chapters?
Nope: everyone does.... unless you were an idiot like me and had no idea going through recruitment what any of the letters even meant. ("Why the heck does this girl have three triangles on her sweatshirt?").

When I started doing COB, I had preferences. Everyone does. It's (once again) the total dismissal of a group that was offering you a chance to get to know them.

Quote:
If a girl is in a certain chapter that fits her, are you saying that she would have been just as fine in any of the other ones?
I still feel like there are certain chapters you fit in and certain chapters that arent right for you ..
There are certain chapters you may never fit in: you'll never know if the one you ditched was one of them. Read through the recruitment threads and you'll find dozens upon dozens of women who's minds completely switched at pref party.

And for many more of us (including myself) it wasn't until halfway through the new member period that we knew we were home. It took until my pledge retreat to feel like I really fit in and until my sophomore year to feel 100% at home. Now, I couldn't leave my sisters for anything!

Quote:
I'm really not trying to argue or anything I'm just trying to understand if by what your saying, you mean any sorority is good for any girl and one can fit in any of them? or are you saying since they think I was a fit they must have been correct?
What I was saying is that:
* ladies from the chapter knew you going in from elsewhere
* You had attended several pre-recruitment events they hosted

And they still offered you an inivite to pref, meaning you would end up somewhere on the bid list. They had a pretty good idea of who you are and they know how the chapter works. I was saying there was a pretty good chance (better than normal) that they were right!

Quote:
I think what your trying to get at is that the sorority thought I would be right for them so they were probably right..
Well sometimes a girl finds a connection but the sorority eliminates her right? So why is it not okay if a sorority finds a connection but a girl doesnt?
I'm not saying this was the case with you.... but sometimes girls pick sororities by the fact that they mix with the best fraternities, have cute colors, are the pretty ones, etc. That "connection" some of these girls feel is really just a desire to be an ABC. That's why recruitment is mutual.

Quote:
And those girls that I know .. I know them but it doesnt mean I'm good friends with them. Think back to highschool, didn't you know a bunch of people but you fit in and had a bond with others? I know these girls and I speak to them and see them around every now and then but we never had enough of a connection to become good friends.
And you're probably right that even in my top choice there are going to be a few girls I dont have a bond with .. but does that make it equivalent to another choice in which I haven't found a bond with anyone save one or two in?
Maybe you never had enough of a connection because you felt they were beneath you as you feel their chapter is.

How do you know you'd only have a bond with one or two people in your last choice? How do you know you wouldn't be like that in your first? You have not been in any of the groups in question: you do not know who you will or will not bond with.

LET'S GO BIG RED!
Let me teach you how to Bucky!
Old 02-09-2009, 12:28 PM

1) There are 26 NPC sororities, ergo, there are 26 different membership selection procedures. There might be a sorority who penalizes you for meeting too many members. There might be a sorority who cares about nothing but grades and cuts everyone else. I have no clue. I (and everyone else on here) am only in one and therefore only privvy to the procedures of one.

2) You should have asked your Rho Chi or someone else for a ride to the pref party. There are lots of stories on here about how someone was "meh" about a sorority through rush and then loved them at pref. You missed that chance.

3) I like thinking about airports in Paris.
Old 02-09-2009, 12:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
1)
3) I like thinking about airports in Paris.
I'm a CDG fan myself, but ORLY is fun too.

To the OP:

I'm going to be really honest with you. I went through informal recruitment, and I only gave one group a shot. I really wish I wouldn't have done that. There were so many fantastic women in each group that I would have loved to have called my sister, and I only got the chance to meet them by becoming more active with and in the Panhellenic Council.

I almost didn't get a bid to my organization. In fact, I don't even know why they bid me in the end, because even I would have probably cut me. I'd like to say I would have been devastated, and confused, but I don't think that's true. I just wasn't that in to being greek at the time. Fortunately I came around while I was a new member, but that doesn't happen for everyone.

If you aren't pinning all your hopes and dreams on being a member of a sorority, then by all means, cut them, blow them off, don't go when you're invited. If you really want to be a member of a sorority, at least go to the sorority that invited you to their preference. That's the closest you're going to get to actually being a member during the recruitment process, it's like trying on an outfit. THEN decide if they're not for you. That's why you rank after preference rounds, and that's why you sign a preference card. If you still thought you wouldn't have liked to have been in that chapter, don't fill out the preference card, just sign a blank one.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post
I'm a CDG fan myself, but ORLY is fun too.

If you aren't pinning all your hopes and dreams on being a member of a sorority, then by all means, cut them, blow them off, don't go when you're invited. If you really want to be a member of a sorority, at least go to the sorority that invited you to their preference. That's the closest you're going to get to actually being a member during the recruitment process, it's like trying on an outfit. THEN decide if they're not for you. That's why you rank after preference rounds, and that's why you sign a preference card. If you still thought you wouldn't have liked to have been in that chapter, don't fill out the preference card, just sign a blank one.
This is why I love you.

This is great advice.

Lakers Nation.
Old 02-09-2009, 01:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
it is completely fair
This is more for the benefit of other PNMs reading the thread than for the OP, but...no selection process in life is completely fair. College admissions and job interviewing are a long way from being completely fair. Legacy policies are quite unfair to unconnected applicants, but they persist because they carry other advantages for the institution. Sometimes people get cut unfairly because the people making the selection are jealous or bitter. It's not fair that good-looking people have a leg up in life compared to ugly people. But it happens.

Groups have a right to use any process they want to choose members, whether it's fair or not. But I think we'd serve all young people better if we don't pretend that things are fair when they are not. Groups STRIVE to be as fair as POSSIBLE. Some come closer than others. But sometimes people get cut from a process and it's not fair at all.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
This is why I love you.
My dad and I went to Paris for Spring Break last year. He said it was a graduation present. When we got there I realized that he took me because he wanted to go but didn't want to learn any of the language, so he figured his kid had a degree in foreign languages, she could be a translator. Probably the most exhausting vacation of my life (although yes, we did have a great time!).

He also used me as his personal tour guide because I had been to Paris before.

While we were setting up ticket reservations, I made sure we were dealing with Charles de Gaulle. Because every time I think of Orly, I think:

Old 02-09-2009, 04:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Wow. beneath me? I never claimed to be better than them. I think everyone would agree that there are some sororities that you connect with, and some you dont. Most people say you just know, as soon as you step into a house, talk to the girls, feel comfortable, feel at home you know its for you. There are others you know arent for you. This was one of them. It seems like your twisting everything up and putting words in my mouth so you can belittle me.
Agreed.

This entire thread is a great example of people thinking they are reading what someone is posting, but instead they are reading things into it.

This PNM never said the group she chose not to pref was beneath her. She said she knew she would not accept a bid. Last I knew that wasn't a crime and in fact we tell people all the time to not accept an invite to pref if they know they won't accept it because they are potentially taking the spot of someone who might really want to be there.

People jumped to conclusions that she somehow felt she was superior. She never said that she would only join a top chapter. People are reading things into her comments.

I also don't think she ever complained about not getting a bid. She made comments that she was trying to sort out what happened with people who might have more insight than she has. Just because dozens of rude PNMs have asked these questions before and annoyed people here doesn't mean that she is another one of them.

And, no, I am not reaching in my comment about perhaps she is a Christian and didn't want to pref a historically Jewish sorority. I'm sure this happens quite often going both ways.

My recruitment story: My sorority membership changed my life.

Last edited by TriDeltaSallie; 02-09-2009 at 04:52 PM. Reason: Quick fix
Old 02-09-2009, 04:49 PM
GreekChat Member

You were perfectly within your rights to decide the group wasn't for you. It's called "mutual selection" and you, as a pnm, decided to drop.

The other houses decided, for whatever reason, which are all confidential so you will never know, that they would not invite you for pref.

Nowhere in your posts did you say that you felt you were "better" than the house that you dropped, nor did you say that they were "beneath" you. That has been inferred by other posters and repeated as if you had originally posted either disparaging thing.
I wish you well in the future. Perhaps COB will work out, perhaps not.

BTW - jwright, after trying brussel sprouts once in my life many years ago, I can unequivocally say - I don't like brussel sprouts. I will not be bullied into liking them, nor made to feel bad about my decision to not want to eat them.

Wow, we cross posted trideltasallie - my thinking exactly!
Old 02-09-2009, 04:52 PM
GreekChat Member

I think more people have a problem with her not going to the pref that she was invited to because at pref most PNMs get the truest sense of what it means to be in that chapter.

Preference ceremonies are ritual for a reason.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Oh please. Whenever a PMN comes here complaining about being cut from all chapters except one or two, it's never because they weren't cut from the "top tier/beautiful model/rocket scientist/fraternity favorite/insert your tent talk hyperbole here." It's always because they "don't click/fit in" with the "struggling/smallest/fatty/ugly/lamest/insert your tent talk smash and bash here." They don't want to be one of those.

It's like a secret code that few here want to admit. And it's the reason why struggling chapters continue into a death spiral in spite of RFM.

Last edited by LadyLonghorn; 02-09-2009 at 05:01 PM. Reason: I hate typos
Old 02-09-2009, 05:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Part of me wishes silence was between PNMs, too. More damage is done to a chapter by tent talk than a sister saying hello to a PNM when she's not supposed to.
Old 02-09-2009, 05:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriDeltaSallie View Post
This PNM never said the group she chose not to pref was beneath her. She said she knew she would not accept a bid. Last I knew that wasn't a crime and in fact we tell people all the time to not accept an invite to pref if they know they won't accept it because they are potentially taking the spot of someone who might really want to be there.
No...actually, GCers recommend that PNMs attend ALL prefs that they can but only sign a bid card if they are willing to accept a bid. Accepting an invite to pref will in no way take a spot away from someone who might truly want it. Going to a pref party will only give the PNM and the chapter one last chance to find a connection. Though I agree that the OP did not say she was better than the chapter that invited her to pref, but I also agree that she made a hasty decision to decline the pref invitation. In the end, she only hurt herself.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Closed Thread