GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,445
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Avalanchejqr
» Online Users: 2,253
0 members and 2,253 guests
No Members online

Old 01-13-2009, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senusret I View Post
I don't know if this is the proper place to say so, but I think it's cool that the OP is an African American NPC legacy. I don't see that too much where I am.
It's a beautiful thing, isn't it! We'll be seeing more of that when our newer African American NPC sisters begin having children. I don't know that every chapter of an NPC group would pledge an african american tomorrow, but I sure hope we are moving in the right direction. I'm just not foolish enough to think that prejudices don't still exist in some places.

To the OP, good luck. I hope you find open women in the Bama chapters who will welcome you with open arms.

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-13-2009, 10:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I don't know if this is the proper place to say so, but I think it's cool that the OP is an African American NPC legacy. I don't see that too much where I am.
I think we are just now seeing the daughters of the first generation of African American women who started to break the NPC color barrier in the early 70s. These women are now in their 40s to early 50s and are at the age where they will have college-bound daughters. As years go on, it will be come less unusual as NPC chapters gradually became more diverse.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

This isn't something that the OP should attempt herself by any stretch of the imagination, but is this an area where it might make sense to notify someone higher up in the NPC than just the chapter of the legacy status?

Certainly, the chapter makes its own membership decisions, and I like to think that all the chapters would be delighted to have a well qualified African American PNM legacy come through. But knowing that some cases have made the paper in the past, I wonder if HQs wouldn't want to make sure they were proactive in terms of all policies being followed?

On the other hand, it might make the chapter so angry that they weren't trusted to do the right thing that it would backfire. What do you all think?

I'm emphatically not suggesting that someone attempt to strong arm the chapter, but it just seems like the recipe for a PR disaster if the PNM is dropped that you'd want to make all your i's were dotted on your legacy policy and that every member of the chapter knew your GLOs policies about discrimination.
Old 01-13-2009, 10:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We had a very smart and very beautiful African American member in my chapter back in the late 80s/early 90s. Sad to say that not only did our NPC system lack diversity, so did our entire campus. So... we felt very special to have her in our chapter. (BTW- campus and greek life is much more diverse now.. so yes, "someone" does have to be the trailblazer)

She was a senior when I was a freshman so I didn't really know her well, but I know she was loved by all. I guess she is almost old enough now to have a daughter going off to college in a few years. So perhaps another African American NPC legacy soon.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Of course, an adopted daughter is a legacy as well...and because international and transracial adoption were huge in the South in the eighties, there have been several non-white legacies rushing lately, 3 of my daughters and 1 of my nieces included. I can think of several others.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AOII Angel View Post
It's a beautiful thing, isn't it! We'll be seeing more of that when our newer African American NPC sisters begin having children.

I was just talking about this the other day with one of my sisters.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-13-2009, 11:44 PM
GreekChat Member

aww I'm happy to have so much support
Old 01-14-2009, 12:06 AM

If you're a high school senior, I would really suggest contacting your local Alumnae Panhellenic for assistance in obtaining recs. Those are important to have at Bama.

Lakers Nation.
Old 01-14-2009, 06:37 AM
GreekChat Member

ksuviolet I did that. I have 13 out of the 15 sorority recs, im just waiting on a response from the last two alum groups
Old 01-14-2009, 11:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Wow, I truly can't imagine being in an NPC Sorority, then again, I can't imagine being in ANY OTHER Sorority!
Old 01-14-2009, 11:05 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blondie93 View Post
We had a very smart and very beautiful African American member in my chapter back in the late 80s/early 90s... but I know she was loved by all.
These qualifiers could've gone without saying. Unintentionally, this is classic "token language."

Senusret: I also think it is cool and part of that has to do with how rare it is.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Senusret: I also think it is cool and part of that has to do with how rare it is.
This is a random thought, but does anyone else think daily of the unique opportunities GC allows for by lumping NPHC, NIC, NPC, and other multicultural groups together?

I've had an interest on how BGLOs work, because although my campus had access to AKA and also Delta (later in my undergrad), "white" fraternities and sororities (who, as I mentioned before, did have African-American actives) had a much more visible presence on campus. I obviously learned a little about them through my new member period, but just names. I didn't have anything to put a picture to.

It wasn't until I was in grad school and lived next to a Pitt undergrad that I learned more about NPHC fraternities. She called me after she crossed, said thanks for answering her questions about NPC sororities as it further solidified in her mind that she should join (or be an interest for?) one of the Divine 9. I told her I was happy to help.

I just thought it was neat that initially she questioned which way she should go, so obviously both were options to her.

I don't know where I'm going with this, yet again.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphagamzetagam View Post
This is a random thought, but does anyone else think daily of the unique opportunities GC allows for by lumping NPHC, NIC, NPC, and other multicultural groups together?
Yes, it is extremely unrealistic. As are internet interactions, in general.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:59 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Quote:
I have three little Black legacies (sisters) in my house! You should come by.

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 01-14-2009 at 12:03 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 12:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
These qualifiers could've gone without saying. Unintentionally, this is classic "token language."
Ooh... I can see how demeaning that unintentionally came out.

The way I intended, but poorly articulated, was that even by our chapter standards she was a standout. She was our chapter's homecoming court nominee, her grades were stellar at a time when the rest of our chapter's grades were average, and those of us who were younger just thought she was the coolest thing ever.

I was attempting to point out that she wasn't taken by our chapter simply for the sake of diversity.. that she was an awesome member that *we* were truly lucky to pledge. Those qualifiers were to emphasize that this was someone who made our chapter better.