GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,015
1 members and 1,014 guests
LaneSig
View Poll Results: Does your chapter haze?
Yes. 324 24.77%
No. 868 66.36%
Not sure. 116 8.87%
Voters: 1308. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2006, 12:01 PM
GreekChat Member

My chapter doesn't haze. Quite the contrary. I got nothing but gifts, and encouragement during my new member period.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NikkiB
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
The thing is that our current risk management policies specify a lot of things that really can't carry the possibility of harm to another.

Lineups for example -- or activities which result in "mental discomfort" as most of our hazing policies specify have no possibility of causing anyone any actual harm.

I don't think I've ever heard of a chapter anywhere ever being put on probation for causing mental discomfort in a pledge though.

I hate that our policies contain such ambiguous terms. Mental discomfort can really encompass a lot. What if a brother is driving a car full of pledges and doesn't pull over the instant one of them tells him they need to go to the bathroom? Is that creating 'mental discomfort?' I think it could be.

My sorority has rules that specifically state that they cannot do anything to pledges that they would not do themselves, not want to tell an administrator or parent about, or not want to perform in front of an administrator or parent. It also says this includes mental distress, or emotional discomfort. I think that's a school wide sorority policy as well, and FSU is a big greek school. I, too, was showered with gifts my entire pledge period..I still am, lol.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille View Post
Even if he only lowers its reputation slightly

But he doesn't, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:11 PM
GreekChat Member

The question was does your chapter haze? He made it clear that his chapter does. It's not your chapter or your sorority so get over it. 15 other people responded to the poll saying that their chapters do haze, so clearly he's not the only one.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
But he doesn't, as far as I'm concerned.
Such is your opinion. But that wasn't the point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLPDaisy View Post
The question was does your chapter haze? He made it clear that his chapter does. It's not your chapter or your sorority so get over it. 15 other people responded to the poll saying that their chapters do haze, so clearly he's not the only one.
It was more the "we don't haze, but we do" that caught my attention. Don't be a hypocrite about it. If you're going to say that your hazing is a positive force for your pledges then stand behind that. Several other GCers manage to do so and even if you disagree w/ them, they're being honest about it.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Such is your opinion. But that wasn't the point.
What was the point?

Quote:
It was more the "we don't haze, but we do" that caught my attention. Don't be a hypocrite about it. If you're going to say that your hazing is a positive force for your pledges then stand behind that. Several other GCers manage to do so and even if you disagree w/ them, they're being honest about it.
Does he really have to stand behind it until you all approve of his defense? He shouldn't have shared in the first place but he darn sure doesn't have to defend himself against nonIotas. That doesn't mean I agree with him or disagree with him. I just don't see how his posts translate to a slight against Iotas, in general.
Old 11-06-2006, 12:55 PM
GreekChat Member

its not a slight against them, but it does kind of cast Iota in a negative light, just like the JHU situation makes Sigma Chi look bad. Whether you agree or disagree or what your opinion is kind of doesn't matter in that respect, because it will cause [some] people to look at them negatively.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:01 PM
GreekChat Member

While I don't necessarily agree with the content of his post, no organization is perfect. There are plenty of Iotas on this board. If they think that his post makes Iota look bad, they should be the ones calling him out, not every other person on GC.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centaur532 View Post
Good job paying attention smart one. Yes.
LOL, what Im saying is we don't haze at all. We have an intake process thier is a very big difference between the two that I cannot and will not go into great detail over the internet. Movies like "School Daze", "Skulls", and "The Hazzing" are films that take what really happens too far. I know it may sound confusing, but ceremonies and the process is a thing that if you're going through it then you know, if you're not going through a process then you skated. Skating is not cool! lol...
Old 11-06-2006, 01:05 PM
GreekChat Member

I think it was meant to be a "nudge, nudge, wink, wink, say no more" type statement. Or, saying "We don't do X" while shaking your head. I don't believe he was trying to be hypocritical, regardless of our opinion of the act of hazing.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Im sorry but who is the Iota that everyone is talking about? B/c if it is me I will answer any question that is directed towards me.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:26 PM
GreekChat Member

I forget who it was, and it really wasn't as big of a deal as some people make out, just a loose lipped commet about what a certain chapter does
Old 11-06-2006, 01:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RU OX Alum View Post
its not a slight against them, but it does kind of cast Iota in a negative light, just like the JHU situation makes Sigma Chi look bad. Whether you agree or disagree or what your opinion is kind of doesn't matter in that respect, because it will cause [some] people to look at them negatively.
Well it actually does matter when people disagree with this notion because the premise of your post is that people are easily influenced and opinions matter.

If their opinions about Sigma Chi as a whole matters then it's important for others to say "that's dumb to make the actions of one JHU Sigma Chi be a negative against such a great, big organization."

Last edited by DSTCHAOS; 11-06-2006 at 01:29 PM.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlawz4lIfe
Im sorry but who is the Iota that everyone is talking about? B/c if it is me I will answer any question that is directed towards me.
It is in fact you. Your later comment sort of clarified things but that's why I asked you the question in the first place.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drolefille
Did you basically just say "you shouldn't haze but just keep it quiet" and "we don't haze but we do" ?
How discreet is it to say "wink wink wink" ? See the other posts that replied to you. It's cool that you have a pledging "process" and only you can determine if that is hazing. But I maintain that it makes you look bad.

As another example of a bad reputation: Pikes at Howard. People were opposed due to a racist image (among other things) and yes, it's easy to say that Pikes aren't like that, but the image was still there and deeply ingrained in some people. I don't think less of Iota, but I think it presents a negative image.
Old 11-06-2006, 01:54 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSTCHAOS View Post
Well it actually does matter when people disagree with this notion because the premise of your post is that people are easily influenced and opinions matter.

If their opinions about Sigma Chi as a whole matters then it's important for others to say "that's dumb to make the actions of one JHU Sigma Chi be a negative against such a great, big organization."
no, it doesn't...it doesn't matter at all if the allegeagtions are true, from a public image stand point, because the damage is done.