GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Community Service / Philanthropy

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 965
1 members and 964 guests
No Members online

Old 04-04-2015, 11:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Exclamation AOII Derby Days-UCSD

CALLING ON ALL AOII IN THE NATION!

Your sisters at UCSD need your help! They're just coming into their second year at the university and can use all the assistance they can get to KILL IT during Derby Days! It would be fantastic for this sorority to get third place. UCSD's Sigma Chi Derby Days raises around $22,000 for John Huntsman's Cancer Foundation. ITS A LOT! But what would be even MORE SICK for me as a coach would be the fact that, my team (AOII) would be placing in the top 3 out of 13 teams as a second year chapter at our school!

I will be leaving my e-mail below for any AOII that happens to read this post or anyone that wants to help out! It's VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU HELP YOUR SISTERS OUT! Apparel sales are already out and end on MONDAY APRIL 13TH. It would be great if you could help buy apparel right now to place is far ahead in the lead! More events such as liking a Facebook picture and donations towards AOII are coming up!

E-mail me regarding this ASAP!

ykolarov@ucsd.edu (careful with the spelling)

#alphalove
#AllwedOiswiΠ
Old 04-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykolarov View Post

It's VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU HELP YOUR SISTERS OUT!
OK, this line will turn off a bunch of people.
Old 04-06-2015, 07:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ykolarov View Post

Your sisters at UCSD need your help! They're just coming into their second year at the university and can use all the assistance they can get to KILL IT during Derby Days! It would be fantastic for this sorority to get third place. UCSD's Sigma Chi Derby Days raises around $22,000 for John Huntsman's Cancer Foundation. ITS A LOT! But what would be even MORE SICK for me as a coach would be the fact that, my team (AOII) would be placing in the top 3 out of 13 teams as a second year chapter at our school!

I will be leaving my e-mail below for any AOII that happens to read this post or anyone that wants to help out! It's VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU HELP YOUR SISTERS OUT! Apparel sales are already out and end on MONDAY APRIL 13TH. It would be great if you could help buy apparel right now to place is far ahead in the lead! More events such as liking a Facebook picture and donations towards AOII are coming up!

E-mail me regarding this ASAP!

ykolarov@ucsd.edu (careful with the spelling)

#alphalove
#AllwedOiswiΠ
So you want strangers to donate to your campuses Derby Days?
Old 04-06-2015, 08:04 AM
GreekChat Member

My dear sister,
No. Just no.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkAOII View Post
My dear sister,
No. Just no.
I think the OP is the chapter's designated Sigma Chi coach, not an AOPi.

A month or so ago we had an alumnae chapter FB request to "like" Gamma Phi during Derby Days at a school far away. It was an "impassioned plea" for votes. FB voting contests are pretty silly and annoying.

Beyond being silly, though -- Panhellenic at my daughter's school has had discussions this year about Derby Days. They are questioning all fraternity-sponsored events in which sororities compete against each other. They already said "no" to a proposed "jello wrestling" fundraiser proposed by another fraternity.
Old 04-06-2015, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
Beyond being silly, though -- Panhellenic at my daughter's school has had discussions this year about Derby Days. They are questioning all fraternity-sponsored events in which sororities compete against each other. They already said "no" to a proposed "jello wrestling" fundraiser proposed by another fraternity.
I think that "no jello wrestling" is a good policy, but what's the line of thinking behind the others? Just that it's not Panhellenic to compete?
Old 04-06-2015, 11:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I think that "no jello wrestling" is a good policy, but what's the line of thinking behind the others? Just that it's not Panhellenic to compete?
That's part of it, but it's really coming from a feminist viewpoint about male dominance of the campus social scene and that there is an issue with men getting women to compete against each other -- in events that may be seen as demeaning.

From the February issue of the student newspaper:

"Last fall, all six W&L sororities joined together in deciding not to participate in Phi Delta Theta’s Jell-o wrestling philanthropy event. In years past, members of Phi Delt have asked women from each sorority to participate, and paired them up against one another to wrestle in a pit of Jell-o in front of bleachers of student spectators.

Similarly, Panhellenic has had discussions about boycotting Sigma Chi’s Derby Days event in which the women compete and are judged based on who cooks the best meal for the fraternity members."

- See more at: http://ringtumphiwlu.com/1105/news/s....FgDRodXP.dpuf

I'm actually interested in discussing some of the ideas raised in the larger article. It will get buried in this thread, and there are some definite historical errors in the article's first paragraph but I was alternately amused and intrigued when I read some of the ideas expressed by the Panhellenic officers, and the student life staff responses.

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 04-06-2015 at 11:53 AM.
Old 04-06-2015, 12:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
That's part of it, but it's really coming from a feminist viewpoint about male dominance of the campus social scene and that there is an issue with men getting women to compete against each other -- in events that may be seen as demeaning.

From the February issue of the student newspaper:

"Last fall, all six W&L sororities joined together in deciding not to participate in Phi Delta Theta’s Jell-o wrestling philanthropy event. In years past, members of Phi Delt have asked women from each sorority to participate, and paired them up against one another to wrestle in a pit of Jell-o in front of bleachers of student spectators.

Similarly, Panhellenic has had discussions about boycotting Sigma Chi’s Derby Days event in which the women compete and are judged based on who cooks the best meal for the fraternity members."

- See more at: http://ringtumphiwlu.com/1105/news/s....FgDRodXP.dpuf

I'm actually interested in discussing some of the ideas raised in the larger article. It will get buried in this thread, and there are some definite historical errors in the article's first paragraph but I was alternately amused and intrigued when I read some of the ideas expressed by the Panhellenic officers, and the student life staff responses.
Gotcha...I didn't realize that was what derby days entailed. I agree there are serious problems involved with anything that involves fraternity men judging, or pageantry, or stuff like that. The prize for winning Derby Days at my alma mater was a party with the Sigma Chis. Um....?

That said, there are some that seem pretty harmless, like ultimate frisbee tournaments or whatever. I remember one year there was a sorority that didn't have enough players, and so we just played split squad with them and it was really fun, but I guess chapters want to take home a trophy and some bragging rights at the end of the day.
Old 04-06-2015, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
The prize for winning Derby Days at my alma mater was a party with the Sigma Chis. Um....?T
Hahaha...Their Derby Days mostly consists of typical field games too; I think it's mostly the cooking contest that Panhellenic isn't happy about.
Old 04-06-2015, 05:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayhawkAOII View Post
My dear sister,
No. Just no.
Quote:
I think the OP is the chapter's designated Sigma Chi coach, not an AOPi.
Sciencewoman, I think you're right. It looks to me that the email address does belong to a young man who is a UCSD Sigma Chi member.
Loyal, forever, Alpha to thee
Old 04-06-2015, 05:29 PM

Yes, he's the team coach.

Chapter competitions at UCSD (not just Derby Days) often are based on votes (FB posts for example) and fundraising (buy tshirts for example).

There will be different events every day. In past years for Derby Days these have included canned food drive, In and Out food truck purchases, etc. The final night of Derby Days is the lip sync contest. There's a panel of judges, not just Sigma Chis, that determine the winners.

It's fierce competition and major bragging rights. Yes, in past years at least, the winners got a party with Sigma Chi. But that was back when they had the Ranch House. (I feel very old right now.)

The sororities and the other fraternities follow this model for their various philanthropies.