GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,271
0 members and 2,271 guests
No Members online

Old 02-10-2014, 07:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy9413 View Post
Would it be weird to wear letters as a grad student at a school with a chapter of your sorority? Some of the schools I'm looking at for grad school have a Delta Zeta chapter and I'd love to keep representing DZ, but I feel like I might get judged by the undergrad DZs at that school.
Of course it would not be weird. Just so that they know you are not a perp, how about introducing yourself to several of them in advance? Find out if they have a local alumnae group that supports the chapter and go JOIN it! I bet they would love to welcome a young women who might be a good advisor or at least sort of an unofficial "big sister" to the chapter. Then wear those letters with pride
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-10-2014, 07:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy9413 View Post
Would it be weird to wear letters as a grad student at a school with a chapter of your sorority? Some of the schools I'm looking at for grad school have a Delta Zeta chapter and I'd love to keep representing DZ, but I feel like I might get judged by the undergrad DZs at that school.
If you think it will be weird, contact them. Just send a friendly email saying that you'll be on campus, that you'd love to attend an event or two if you can, that you're willing to help them if they need it, and casually mention that you might be wearing letters from time to time.

Be friendly and I'm sure no one will think much of it. If the chapter knows you exist and that you'll be around campus, I don't think you'll get any stares and sisters wondering, "Who's that girl wearing our letters?" Active sisters aren't scary I'm sure they'd be willing to say hello if they saw you.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 02-10-2014 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
Of course it would not be weird. Just so that they know you are not a perp, how about introducing yourself to several of them in advance? Find out if they have a local alumnae group that supports the chapter and go JOIN it! I bet they would love to welcome a young women who might be a good advisor or at least sort of an unofficial "big sister" to the chapter. Then wear those letters with pride
You beat me to it!

@~/~~~~
Old 02-10-2014, 09:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I kinda think jerseys/stitched letters are a bit weird after graduation, whether or not you are on a campus with your GLO. Event shirts and stuff are fine, though.
Old 02-11-2014, 07:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sigmagirl2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I kinda think jerseys/stitched letters are a bit weird after graduation, whether or not you are on a campus with your GLO. Event shirts and stuff are fine, though.
I disagree. Frequently the chapter I advise gets stitched letters, and I certainly don't turn them away . I also still rock my stitched letters to events on the campus where I advise and around the house/ to run quick errands in town. (Though I still likely pass as a college student 10 years out of school, so maybe that makes a difference?)

::: waiting for someone to post in Irishpipes 2013-2014 chapter listing thread that quota was .25 ::: - ASTalumna06
Old 02-11-2014, 07:54 PM

When we all reconnected on facebook, the thing that was heard the most was I WAAAANT A SWEATSHIRT. Women had either given them away or they (ahem) shrunk in the closet.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I kinda think jerseys/stitched letters are a bit weird after graduation, whether or not you are on a campus with your GLO.
For the record, it is not weird for BGLO, LGLO, AGLO, MCGLO, etc.
Old 02-11-2014, 09:54 PM
GreekChat Member

When yall say "jersey", I think of a mesh basketball or football jersey. So... like this?
Old 02-11-2014, 11:50 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
When yall say "jersey", I think of a mesh basketball or football jersey. So... like this?
Here's a pic of me sporting a jersey (almost 10 years ago.. ahhh!). All of our chapter sisters received them the night of initiation. They have our nicknames and scroll numbers on the back.

While I still have my jersey, I don't know that I'd wear it out, but I'd definitely be willing to wear stitched letters; I'm just not sure that I really have any of them anymore. Actually, I never really had many to begin with. But I have a few event shirts that I wear from time to time, and I frequently throw on my AST sweatshirt which has our letters on the front and our coat-of-arms on the back.

@~/~~~~

Last edited by ASTalumna06; 02-11-2014 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-12-2014, 12:04 AM
Banned

I'm not a fan of jerseys (GLO or non-GLO) but if I saw someone wearing a GLO jersey I would think it is wonderful they still wear the jersey. That includes people who became a member generations ago.
Old 02-12-2014, 08:59 AM
GreekChat Member

As an alum I do wear my letters, sometimes just doing stuff around the house. But if I'm at a sorority event with my sisters I will wear my letters, especially at philantrophy events.
Old 02-12-2014, 09:27 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen View Post
I wear what I want.
Why did I envision Jen saying this while pushing other GLO members and posing with her arms crossed? Tell 'em, Jen!!!
Old 02-12-2014, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

After graduation, I'll still wear letters....but I'll wear my badge or lavaliere or locket that I had engraved with Beta letters more often than my lettered shirts or sweatshirts.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
Why did I envision Jen saying this while pushing other GLO members and posing with her arms crossed? Tell 'em, Jen!!!
I imagined her ending a sorority girl rant with "I wear what I want" standing like this:
Old 02-13-2014, 03:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tld221 View Post
I guess because I'm older, I think of cotton jerseys, not mesh, like this:

This was the standard style of a Greek shirt back in the day.