GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Locals
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,330
2 members and 2,328 guests
Pinkmagnolia921, Xidelt

Old 05-15-2011, 10:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Art school sorority

I saw these ladies at Relay for Life this weekend & looked them up - pretty interesting.

http://www.scaddistrict.com/?p=15034

From the article: "Prior to the creation of Zeta Kappa Delta, SCAD had a no-Greek-life policy. However, they have shown that the negative stigma attached to Greek life can be removed and can have a positive impact on students’ lives.

In Fall 2009 this playful idea manifested from a simple Facebook status to development of the first sorority-like social club at SCAD. It was a smooth process to start the group and it all fell into place from then on."
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 05-15-2011, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

SCAD thought that *Greeks* were a negative influence? Are they kidding? I am picturing some of the SCAD students I've known.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
SCAD thought that *Greeks* were a negative influence? Are they kidding? I am picturing some of the SCAD students I've known.
That's a really closed-minded thing to say. How someone looks or dresses has NOTHING to do with what kind of person they are.

And yes, it makes sense that they would think Greeks are a negative influence, for the time factor if nothing else. When you're in art school, you are doing art, period. You're not there to socialize or be a student athlete. It's not for everyone, but neither is "normal" college. The people who said in the comments that they were disappointed there was no Greek life should have known that when they applied and were accepted...and I wouldn't be shocked if people who entered art school with that mindset end up flunking out or transferring out. They just don't get it.

I know I get pissed on here when people talk about "fake" Greeks, but I have to say...this is that.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not talking about what they look like. I'm talking about what they ARE like and I've known several of them pretty well.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
I'm not talking about what they look like. I'm talking about what they ARE like and I've known several of them pretty well.
Same applies. Different strokes for different folks.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:32 AM
Super Moderator

Fine, but I bet you wouldn't want to be teaching with the SCAD-grad who bites her toenails in the faculty lounge.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:34 AM

That's a tic, not criminal behavior. I'd rather put up with that than the sorority girl who's a total bitch.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Not a tic. She just pleasantly comments that that's the most efficient way for her to trim her nails and goes back to gnawing.

Sure clears the faculty lounge.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:34 PM

Not SCAD, but we have a chapter at Pratt Institute (NY), which is known for art/graphic design/etc. I believe Theta Phi Alpha does too. It was a risky venture with the type of school it is (architecture/graphic design/etc. students have limited time for extra activities) but our chapters are both thriving. I met the Pratt ladies at Convention and they were cool (I witnessed no biting of toenails in public.)

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 05-15-2011 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Sure clears the faculty lounge.
Mission accomplished, maybe?

So...since we're talking about all the SCAD students you know, care to share any other stories, or are we done basing the SCAD population on one anecdote?
Old 05-15-2011, 04:50 PM
Super Moderator

Nope. They could be too identifiable to people in the Atlanta or Savannah areas.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

at SCAD students being horrible just because one person happens to know a couple that chew their toenails or whatever. I seriously considered SCAD as a teenager before deciding to go liberal arts (I had a hard time committing to one direction as far as my future went, so I wasn't ready for an art school) and would LOVE to be able to earn an MFA from SCAD one day. It's my first choice should I ever get around to an MFA. Actually, one of the best professors I've ever had graduated with an MFA from SCAD. Coincidentally, he's also one of the most "normal" professors in our art department.

"Artsy" does not automatically mean "not sorority material". Sincerely, Alumiyum (B.A. in Art w/French minor and B.F.A. concentrating in drawing and printmaking)

ETA: Those who have said students at SCAD and similar schools likely do not have time for Greek life are correct, IMO. It was hard enough to earn a studio art degree at a liberal arts school as an alum, and those that do it while remaining active are extremely good at time management...they have to be. I'm sure at a "real art school" it's about 543504309 times harder to fully commit to a sorority, and faculty probably wouldn't be jazzed about students participating in an activity that is so time consuming.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx

Last edited by Alumiyum; 05-16-2011 at 07:23 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alumiyum View Post
at SCAD students being horrible just because one person happens to know a couple that chew their toenails or whatever. I seriously considered SCAD as a teenager before deciding to go liberal arts (I had a hard time committing to one direction as far as my future went, so I wasn't ready for an art school) and would LOVE to be able to earn an MFA from SCAD one day. It's my first choice should I ever get around to an MFA. Actually, one of the best professors I've ever had graduated with an MFA from SCAD. Coincidentally, he's also one of the most "normal" professors in our art department.

"Artsy" does not automatically mean "not sorority material". Sincerely, Alumiyum (B.A. in Art w/French minor and B.F.A. concentrating in drawing and printmaking)

ETA: Those who have said students at SCAD and similar schools likely do not have time for Greek life are correct, IMO. It was hard enough to earn a studio art degree at a liberal arts school as an alum, and those that do it while remaining active are extremely good at time management...they have to be. I'm sure at a "real art school" it's about 543504309 times harder to fully commit to a sorority, and faculty probably wouldn't be jazzed about students participating in an activity that is so time consuming.
Exactly. One of my best friends from high school went to SCAD, and she's just about the smartest person I know. She received a 4.0 there, and she was in the Architecture program. Who WOULDN'T want that kind of person in their sorority?!

The only obstacle I would see is the time commitment. I think she slept in the studio more nights than she slept in her dorm/apartment.

ETA: I just saw your ETA. Obviously I agree

@~/~~~~
Old 05-16-2011, 07:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Exactly. One of my best friends from high school went to SCAD, and she's just about the smartest person I know. She received a 4.0 there, and she was in the Architecture program. Who WOULDN'T want that kind of person in their sorority?!

The only obstacle I would see is the time commitment. I think she slept in the studio more nights than she slept in her dorm/apartment.

ETA: I just saw your ETA. Obviously I agree
Holy shit. I envy no Architecture student...a 4.0 in that program...da-yum.

"A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five."
Groucho Marx