GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,468
Threads: 115,513
Welcome to our newest member, dizzycmaarleyy5
» Online Users: 2,211
2 members and 2,209 guests
abobbygoglet246

Old 07-19-2007, 03:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post

The OP was told to go to family, friends etc - she came back 2 days later and said she had "exhausted all her personal resources." Take that as you will.
As I've said before, I'm not interested in working on internet recs, BUT we don't know that she hadn't exhausted those options even before she started the thread.

I think it would be possible for someone who had more of the milk of human kindness than I do, to find out the PNM's name and hometown, go to the sister search database on your website if you've got one, and email a couple of people who come up to see if they know the OP.

They may be women whom the OP has no idea were Greek or whom she hadn't had a chance to ask.

But as long as Nancy Newbie isn't an idiot, it could be done and perhaps done well. And if Nancy Newbie is an idiot, then it doesn't really matter what the rest of us think anyway; she's recommending questionable women for your org right now!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-19-2007, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaGamUGAAlum View Post
I think it would be possible for someone who had more of the milk of human kindness than I do, to find out the PNM's name and hometown, go to the sister search database on your website if you've got one, and email a couple of people who come up to see if they know the OP.
I have my name on the list for helping to find Recs.

I had a PNM send me a very nice PM asking for me to help her find recs, because she lived in one state and was going to school in a different state. I got in contact with BOTH the Alum group near her hometown AND near the school she was going to. I got someone from each group and gave her their contact info and her info to them. She started this process in May.

This is the way to use GC to get recs. NOT posting a list and hoping people come to you. NOT waiting until a few weeks before.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaFrog View Post
This is the way to use GC to get recs. NOT posting a list and hoping people come to you. NOT waiting until a few weeks before.
I get the feeling that katestar may be the first person in her family to go greek and did not know this. No one in my family is greek and if my school had required recs, I may have done the same thing. If my cousin decides to rush next year, I can warn her against it.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:42 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by cuteASAbug View Post
I get the feeling that katestar may be the first person in her family to go greek and did not know this. No one in my family is greek and if my school had required recs, I may have done the same thing. If my cousin decides to rush next year, I can warn her against it.
Got to agree with you. If my school required recs I might have gone this way at all. Before I went Greek I knew no one at all that was Greek. Not a single person.

If my sister decided to rush and went to a school that required recs, I would have advised her (and helped her) get her recs in the right way, but before me and my sisters and the rest of my Greek friends she knew no one who was Greek as well. If I never went Greek she wouldn't know a single Greek as well.

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 07-19-2007, 06:46 PM
GreekChat Member

Just a little bit for y'all to know;
Yes, I am the first in my family to rush.
I have been looking on here for a while. I had never even heard of a Rec or its importance untill I found this site. I did not use "2 days" to exhaust my personal resources,I have been working on that quite longer. Yes,it is close to rush,that is why I am using GC,my last resort. No, this thread was not my only attempt. I sent nice pms also and got a few responses.Therefore I resulted to this thread. I have offered to contact the ladies helping me however they prefer and I can verify all of the information I provide them with.I realize that using GC isnt the best source but when you are totally unexperienced with Rush and done as much as you can,it starts to look like a good option.Also,I am sorry that I don't use the apostrophe key for my contractions when typing.I have learned alot through here. Im unsure about some sororities now because of the way their proud members have acted.
In closing,thank you to the helpful people on here.
Old 07-19-2007, 06:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
Quote:
Originally Posted by katestar View Post
Im unsure about some sororities now because of the way their proud members have acted.
Please, please, please do not judge sororities just based on the actions of some GC members. Go through rush (recruitment) and see what happens. Each chapter is different from each other, and sorority members are a very wide range and while you will have those that....don't represent their organization to the best that they can, there are many more out there that are nice and helpful.

While that is said, please contact alumnae associations both near where you live and where you are going to school. That's your best bet for rec's, and not from over the internet. Also check out your school's Greek Life page it should have some info on recs for you there.

Good luck!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 07-19-2007, 06:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Remember too that the sororities at your school have your information, and may be getting recs for you . Don't count on it, but don't panic too much if you are missing one or two.
Old 07-20-2007, 01:34 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttonz View Post
Please, please, please do not judge sororities just based on the actions of some GC members. Go through rush (recruitment) and see what happens. Each chapter is different from each other, and sorority members are a very wide range and while you will have those that....don't represent their organization to the best that they can, there are many more out there that are nice and helpful.

Good advice Buttonz. This honestly isn't meant to be snarky, and not really directed at the OP in general, but I would highly advise any GC PNMs against going into recruitment saying "Well, some people on the internet with those letters in their signatures were mean to me so I'm not going to give them the time of day."

Honestly, people will look at you like you've got three heads if that's your explanation for why you don't want to be an XYZ. If someone said that to me during recruitment I'd probably have been like "Ummmm... okay....sorry you had a bad experience on the internet, peace out."

Buttonz is absolutely right, many NPC sororities have HUNDREDS of THOUSANDS of members and you know what? You're probably not going to like everyone from any particular group on the internet, or within an individual chapter, or even your pledge class. That's okay, it's life, just please keep an open mind about every group when you're going through your recruitment. Even if an XYZ from the internet, or another campus, or whatever was mean to you at one point.

To let my lyre send forth the chords of love, unselfishness and sincerity