GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,404
1 members and 2,403 guests
naraht

Old 07-24-2013, 11:15 PM
GreekChat Member

That's why I think it's an issue for Panhel. There needs to be a consistency. In addition (as an example), at Iowa there were rules to what things could cost (no more than the dorms and meal plan), so nobody could be WAY more. The preferred result for everyone listing full and fair accounting is the rushees would say, OK, I got it. They all cost give or take X number, and I'm cool with that. When you have girls choosing chapters based on cost, all hell can break loose.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
In my experience, the matrix listed above wouldn't work at a small campus with only 2 or 3 chapters because then you run into a situation of one chapter appearing to be more affordable than another, but yet on another campus with more chapters, you don't want to be known as the "cheap sorority" either.

I don't know if this is a problem anymore, but a few years ago on one campus I work with, it was like pulling teeth to get accurate, fair information to provide to PNMs. One chapter on campus was reporting the bare minimum to panhellenic, and NOT telling the PNMs about how they fined out the wazoo (which is why they were able to afford listing their dues so low). My chapter preferred to list our dues as all inclusive, but finally had to pull a few things out and list as separate "optional charges" just to appear more financially competitive. Again, I don't think this is an issue anymore... but it definitely used to be, and it was a complete nightmare and a headache.

Recruitment strategy should not stoop to being dishonest about financial obligations
This is EXACTLY the situation my chapter is currently in, and why I posed the question. Panhel only lists "total cost per year" prices with no explanation and does not provide an opportunity for PNMs to ask about financials or for chapters to provide a breakdown of where the money goes except during recruitment parties. We have been taught how to discuss financials should they come up during a party, but it makes us look bad (we chose to go all-inclusive as well, and nobody else has even though that's the price we were asked for) and frankly, it sucks to have a party full of awesome women who you want to join your chapter who have already decided they wouldn't accept a bid because your number is so much higher, even if it actually isn't that different from the others in the long run.

It's definitely a Panhel issue, I agree 100%. It's just frustrating and wanted to get opinions from others on whether PNMs asking was a good idea or not (as on, encouraging rho chis to tell the PNMs to ask at houses or not).

I apologize for the slight hijack of the thread and all of the typos. I'm not so great with my new phone yet and was trying to type way too quickly.

Last edited by lilabelle; 07-24-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:28 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was our regional housing director, a particular chapter kept telling me that they were more expensive than everyone else because of house corporation and that it was hurting them in recruitment. PH published the numbers the chapters gave them. it took me THREE years of asking to see the numbers before I got all the information. PH sent a form to the chapter PRESIDENTS (what? why not the VP:Finance???) and she filled it out. Well, our president was filling it out incorrectly every year because she didn't understand the form...which really did attempt to make it apples to apples. When I completed the form, their fees - according to the layout by PH - were almost $1000 less than they had been reporting. I think it's very important that the numbers are computed by someone who really understands the form and the fees and that PH publish it correctly. While all chapters are supposed to discuss fees during recruitment (according to NPC), the PNMs really just cannot absorb it all in that environment.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amanda6035 View Post
In my experience, the matrix listed above wouldn't work at a small campus with only 2 or 3 chapters because then you run into a situation of one chapter appearing to be more affordable than another, but yet on another campus with more chapters, you don't want to be known as the "cheap sorority" either.

I don't know if this is a problem anymore, but a few years ago on one campus I work with, it was like pulling teeth to get accurate, fair information to provide to PNMs. One chapter on campus was reporting the bare minimum to panhellenic, and NOT telling the PNMs about how they fined out the wazoo (which is why they were able to afford listing their dues so low). My chapter preferred to list our dues as all inclusive, but finally had to pull a few things out and list as separate "optional charges" just to appear more financially competitive. Again, I don't think this is an issue anymore... but it definitely used to be, and it was a complete nightmare and a headache.

Recruitment strategy should not stoop to being dishonest about financial obligations
The way you make them honest is by sharing what they turn in with their headquarters. HQ ought to know the finances of the Chapter.
Old 07-25-2013, 11:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
My alma mater does something very similar

Every chapter hands out sheet with a table on it with the following cost items :

NM Fee
Badge Cost (most basic)
Initiation fees
Dues (fall)
Dues (Spring)
Room & Board
Live-in requirement (1 or 2 years)
Live-out/parlor fees
Estimated social costs (date parties, etc.) and y or n if they are inclusive.
Fines (indicating if they fined for anything like missed chapter, etc.)
Payment plans offered (y or n)
Optional costs (eg extra tees for events, etc.)
Total costs for 2013-2014

You get one of these sheets at EVERY chapter. By the end of the first day, you know exactly what you're getting into cost-wise.

They were given out at COR as well.
Maybe this sounds ridiculous, but did you all allow them to keep the sheets of paper? This came up our recruitment chairs meeting and at UC Davis they do hand these out, but because you cannot give anything to a PNM, the chapters have to collect them back or be fined. I can't imagine a PNM is really memorizing this data at each party... I would think just putting it in the recruitment booklet would be much better!
Old 07-26-2013, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
Maybe this sounds ridiculous, but did you all allow them to keep the sheets of paper? This came up our recruitment chairs meeting and at UC Davis they do hand these out, but because you cannot give anything to a PNM, the chapters have to collect them back or be fined. I can't imagine a PNM is really memorizing this data at each party... I would think just putting it in the recruitment booklet would be much better!
This is where your NPC AA needs to step in say enough is enough and get that out of the recruitment rules. Setting fines for things that aren't measurable is a no-no anyway. Fines because your list was late, sure. Within reason. No $50 per minute craziness. Fines because PNMs need educated about the financial obligations, no way. As you mentioned, the booklet may be the best place anyway.

This is also why NPC recommends publishing ranges so no group is judged as the most or lease expensive. I've found the ranges also prevent the intentional under estimators.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Just wanted to submit UCF's cost sheet for last year - I think it's a good example of how things should be laid out. http://fsl.sdes.ucf.edu/docs/pan/Pan...er%20Costs.pdf
Old 07-26-2013, 09:02 AM
Super Moderator

That is good Leximarie.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
They keep them, but it was something we had to have a discussion with our area peeps at NPC about. They decided that it was fine as long as it was the ONLY thing they got to keep, and that it truly is just a plain sheet (e.g. no personal letters, or anything else.) It has been done since before I joined, so I don't know the details of the exact discussion.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-26-2013, 02:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
They keep them, but it was something we had to have a discussion with our area peeps at NPC about. They decided that it was fine as long as it was the ONLY thing they got to keep, and that it truly is just a plain sheet (e.g. no personal letters, or anything else.) It has been done since before I joined, so I don't know the details of the exact discussion.
Yeah, this is one of those things like glitter on the shoes. Just make a standard form, hand it out, and stop being petty assholes.
Old 07-26-2013, 03:57 PM
Super Moderator

I remember that we got financial forms from each of the sororities that we attended on house tour day and we were allowed to take them with us. I also remember that we were not allowed to take anything else out with us on any of the other days.
Old 07-26-2013, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thanks, you all, for the great info. I'll let our recruitment team know to get in contact with our AA about getting to keep the sheets.
Old 07-26-2013, 08:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Yeah, this is one of those things like glitter on the shoes. Just make a standard form, hand it out, and stop being petty assholes.
OMG I can just hear it! The ABCs put theirs on nicer colored paper with prettier font!
Old 07-30-2013, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
Yes. That's basically what it is. You can print it on any color paper you want, but the financial info is ALL you can print on it. The PNMs get a little folder that they can put them all in when they leave parties.

We're able to do it because (like you said) we are not being petty and all "omg they taking something from the chapters!!!"

It's important to focus on the spirit of the rule here: Is taking it home infringing on a PNMs right to a fair recruitment? No. Ok then.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:45 PM
GreekChat Member

This is from my daughter's school. It's very helpful. It was printed in the rush guide booklet last year, but I notice it's not in this year's. But the link is quite obvious on the Greek Life home page.

http://www.wlu.edu/Documents/student...bligations.pdf

Just to put it in perspective, here's the fraternity version. Yikes.

http://www.wlu.edu/Documents/student...bligations.pdf

Last edited by Sciencewoman; 07-30-2013 at 06:56 PM.