GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Academics
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,452
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, saphqueen
» Online Users: 1,423
1 members and 1,422 guests
babobygooglet93

Old 03-13-2005, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Online Master's Programs in Social Work and Guidance Counseling Education

Hi, does anybody know about any accredited online Master's Programs in Guidance Counseling or Social Work.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-14-2005, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

That seems difficult when so much of both of those programs are very interactive and would need the practice aspect to be a part of the program.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roqueemae
That seems difficult when so much of both of those programs are very interactive and would need the practice aspect to be a part of the program.
Very good point.

Even if an online program were available, I really don't think you'd learn nearly as much. Not to mention that online programs are looked down upon by some people, and I would imagine especially in a field that's in-person interaction intensive
Old 03-14-2005, 12:23 AM
GreekChat Member

Yes, I start "practicing" counseling next semester. Doesn't that seem scary?
Old 03-14-2005, 12:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by roqueemae
Yes, I start "practicing" counseling next semester. Doesn't that seem scary?
I know how you feel! When I had my first client at a legal clinic I worked at this time last year, I was terrified. It does get easier with practice But you need practice!
Old 03-14-2005, 07:02 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't think there is anything ACCREDITED in Social Work, and honestly, I wouldn't recommend doing an online degree in Social Work, or even counseling. You will truly be wasting your money. You don't realize how much you truly do NOT know until you are actually doing your internships and courses in this field. I'd be pissed personally if my boss were to offer the other SW position to someone who didn't bust their ass in grad school like I did. I meet people a lot who go to this school in Manhattan that offers "A Masters in Human Services in a year" (it's not accredited in Social Work). I have such a hard time keeping my mouth shut when they try to say they are a "Social Worker". Yeah, right. In my honest opinion, that is taking the easy way out and you really aren't getting ahead at all cuz you don't have the actual degree and experience.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:03 AM
GreekChat Member

P.S. You can't take the licensing exam in NY State to be a Social Worker unless you actually graduated from an accredited school of Social Work.
Old 03-14-2005, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by winneythepooh7
I don't think there is anything ACCREDITED in Social Work, and honestly, I wouldn't recommend doing an online degree in Social Work, or even counseling.
CO-SIGN!!

As a Licensed therapist, I can honestly say that my practicum experience was more helpful to me than all the coursework in the world!! An online program would help you with theory, but the human interaction is more important than any theory or textbook....
Old 03-14-2005, 01:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AChiOAlumna
CO-SIGN!!

As a Licensed therapist, I can honestly say that my practicum experience was more helpful to me than all the coursework in the world!! An online program would help you with theory, but the human interaction is more important than any theory or textbook....
There's nothing like actual fieldwork and experience, as well as intensive supervision that helps me with the most difficult problems I am faced with daily in my work with clients. No course can actually prepare anyone for this. It is scary to think that with the advance in technology and courses being offered online that this could be the wave of the future in our field. I think that universities are doing a poor job in preparing new grads for the realities of the field. It totally shows too that universities are just trying to make a buck whatever way they can, and by offering online courses this is certainly a way to make a buck.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Online degrees

Quote:
It totally shows too that universities are just trying to make a buck whatever way they can, and by offering online courses this is certainly a way to make a buck
I just wanted to chime in and say a bit about online degree's. In all actuality, many more prestigious universities are offering degrees online and it isn't looked down upon in the academic community. What is looked down upon are the so-called diploma mills that are the unaccredited universities that churn out diplomas like counterfit bills.

How do I know this? I work for a university that offers online Master's programs (I actually work for the off campus programs department) and it is highly successful. There are many people out there who are not located near a university and through these DL (distance learning) programs, they are able to complete their degrees. Many of our students are military personel stationed overseas who are required by the US goverment to comlete their degrees. My school, in addition to others like the University of Maryland, helps to fill this need.

Online coursework does not mean isolation. Online chats with other classmates and instructors are a requirement for the class and the classwork is no easier than attending a live onsite class.

I can't speak specifically on a social work program, but our school offers over 25 different majors available online. I think that some people are quick tend to knock things that they aren't familliar with...
Old 03-14-2005, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

I think I am pretty familiar with the requirements and lengthy obligation it takes to become a Social Worker/Therapist. The school I went to in fact offers a special program for students who live in rural areas so they are able to come and take their classes during the summertime in NYC and do their internship at a social service agency near where they live during the school year. And this program is in fact accredited. I don't see how anyone could have the appropriate knowledge they need to become an effective Social Worker or Therapist by only taking classes online. The major part of learning in the SW program is through classes and the face to face interaction you get with your peers who are dealing with complex client issues as well. Even if an internship is offered along with the online classes, I still think that the person will be missing out on a whole lot, but who am I to judge, I only went through an MSW program and I am a Social Worker, as well!!!
Old 03-14-2005, 04:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I also wanted to add that professional education is difficult for everyone. When I was in school there were a lot of people who had to drop out because they couldn't meet the requirements they needed to graduate due to personal obligations they had in their life. I don't think that is reason to just hand a professional degree to just anyone. It wouldn't happen in a law or medical program, why should it be any different for a Social Work/therapy program?