GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Alpha > Alpha Kappa Alpha
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,323
1 members and 2,322 guests
PGD-GRAD

Old 11-11-2003, 05:27 PM
GreekChat Member

The Ivy Center: Alpha Delta Omega Chapter

Great job, ladies!

Sunday, 11/09/03
Sorority to burn mortgage note of Ivy Center today

By AILENE TORRES
For The Tennessean

Nestled in the quiet brush of Ashland City Highway, a celebration is brewing. And if you hurry, you can catch the fireworks or, more accurately, flames.

At 3 p.m. today, members of the Alpha Delta Omega Chapter of the Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority will burn a copy of their mortgage, marking a milestone in their history. After only five years, The Ivy Center, worth almost $500,000 and located at 4344 Ashland City Highway, belongs to them.

''I never thought it was impossible,'' said Ida V. Black, who along with Ethel Thomas pioneered the fulfillment of the 50-year-old dream that the house represents.

The African-American sorority is known for its success in the community and business. But this achievement was questioned until now.

The idea of a chapter house originated with the late Erma Parker but did not cement until a phone call six years ago.

Black and Thomas, nicknamed ''Keepers of the Dream,'' worked diligently, often seen in hard-hats and high heels, and on Nov. 15, 1998, the organization celebrated the grand opening of the center.

Although The Ivy Center belongs to the group, it is used by the entire community.

The center offers piano lessons and computer and bridge classes, Francine Gilmer, chapter president, said. The building also can be rented out for weddings, reunions and other parties.

''Those who have seen it … are extremely proud,'' Black said. ''People are continuously learning about it.''

The generosity of the 196 members has impressed but not surprised the organization's leaders. They asked each member to purchase a chair for the center. Some members purchased more than one, and others made items, Black said.

''A lot of members did creative things for the building,'' said Geraldine Butts, Alpha Delta Omega Foundation chairman. ''All of the paintings on the wall were donated by sorors.''

Even nonmembers made donations, Butts said. Among a long list of donations, the foundation received a $40,000 grant from the Memorial Foundation that provided for furnishings, appliances and computers.

Two anonymous members pooled resources for a combined $17,000, which went to create a gated entrance. The Alpha Delta Omega Foundation still is accepting tax deductible donations.

Even though the chapter has reached its goal, members plan to continue the growth by becoming a multi-million-dollar chapter, Black said.

There will be continued expansion of our community outreach programs, Gilmer said.

http://www.tennessean.com/local/arch...nt_ID=42208323
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 11-12-2003, 08:05 AM
GreekChat Member

"Burning a note." I know the sorors are EXTREMELY happy.
Old 11-12-2003, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by AKA2D '91
"Burning a note."
After only FIVE years! That's a wonderful accomplishment.

If you seek me with all your heart, you will find me. Deuteronomy 4:29
Old 11-12-2003, 10:24 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Paradise359
Wow! That is phenomenal. I love to see sorors doing their thing!
Old 11-13-2003, 12:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking

Congrats Sorors

It's reasons like this that make me proud of making the decision to give my heart to AKA. It's women like my sorors that will make me aspire to reach my greatest goals.
Old 11-13-2003, 01:53 AM
GreekChat Member

Congratulations Sorors!
That is truly an amazing accomplishment--especially in only five years.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by toocute
After only FIVE years! That's a wonderful accomplishment.
DITTO! *clapping*
Old 11-18-2003, 06:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up Job well done!

One of my line sisters is in this chapter now! I had to send her a congratulations email! This is truly a wonderful AKAmplishment.
Old 11-23-2003, 08:45 PM
GreekChat Member

CONGRATULATIONS SORORS!!!!

I had my graduation banquet at the Ivy Center and it was beautiful. I also got a chance to meet Soror Ida Black and she is a whipper snapper. I just love her.

She also told me that she gives lectures on how to create Ivy Centers of your own. So if your Chapter or chapters in your area want to get together and build or purchace an Ivy Center of your own just contact the Ivy Center of Nashville at (615) 255-1908, leave a message for Soror Ida Black and she definitely will call you back.

So, again, Congratulations Sorors and keep up the great work.
Old 11-25-2003, 02:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Congrats to the Ladies of AKA on such a wonderful accomplishment not only to your organization, but for representing the black community so well. As others before me have echoed, it is truly a blessing (combined with your hard work) that you all were able to do this within only 5 YEARS (Shoot, many people die without owning the homes they live in)!!!

Again, congrats, and you all keep up the good work!

Last edited by Sugar_N_Spice; 11-25-2003 at 02:54 PM.