GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Chapter Operations

Chapter Operations Share plans, ideas, and brainstorm problems related to chapter operations. Topics also include parliamentary procedure, national programs, innovations & etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,130
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zmaisongoogleto

Old 07-15-2003, 09:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
Quote:
Originally posted by cristinasmile
Yes, Mount Ida had a fraternity back in the day and no their not around. There are honor socities that I could talk to if we wanted to create a sorority on our campus, but we are not doing that.
Your nastiness to FuzzieAlum's attempt to help you out is quite inappropriate. If you are not interested in starting a sorority any longer, I would suggest that you leave Greekchat.com immediately, because all that I see you doing is being inflamatory and refusing the offers of help and advice that you supposedly came to GreekChat for.
Old 07-15-2003, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by cristinasmile
Yes, Mount Ida had a fraternity back in the day and no their not around. There are honor socities that I could talk to if we wanted to create a sorority on our campus, but we are not doing that.
Honor societies are really nothing like sororities - so they wouldn't be able to help you anyway.
Old 07-16-2003, 12:10 AM
GreekChat Member

A legit question

I hope....You at first said you wanted to form a social sorority and then said you did not want to start a social sorority but instead a women's organization. So, can you explain how YOU define a women's organization and a sorority? What do you perceive the differences to be? A sorority is technically a women's organization, so I need more clarification on YOUR perceptions of the difference.

I mean absolutely no malice. I think this my help us understand what direction to point you in and what advice to give.

Last edited by DGMarie; 07-16-2003 at 12:13 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:20 AM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by absolutuscchick
Your nastiness to FuzzieAlum's attempt to help you out is quite inappropriate. If you are not interested in starting a sorority any longer, I would suggest that you leave Greekchat.com immediately, because all that I see you doing is being inflamatory and refusing the offers of help and advice that you supposedly came to GreekChat for.
I didn't interept her response to that post as rude. Just a straight out response. :shrug: That's the problem w/ the internet. We interpret every post based on what we're feeling or think of the poster.

Cristina~

I know you had mentioned a friend of yours was doing this with you and that she had been in a sorority at her school. I think it's *very* important that you both, as well as any other initial members, choose the name together. Get together a small group of interested women and then start laying foundation of the organization. Your group's name, whether Greek letters or not, should be something meaningful to all of you.

fun example: You all meet and discuss your interests and what inspires you. You all decide that the Care Bears are the absolute best thing in the world and everyone should strive to be like the Care Bears. You want to have members that exemplify Care Bear Love. So you name your group Chi Beta Lambda. CBL The secret meaning is only revealed on initiation. OR You all may decide that you don't want a name with a secret meaning. You may just decide that you want a name that clearly states your group's intentions...so you name it the Mount Ida Ladies Liesure Society.

Either way definitely discuss with the women who will be your sisters. Their opinion will matter, not those of us on GC. If you haven't already, read wishinhopin's thread. At least the first 50pages or so. Definitely read the locals forum. Reasearch, reasearch, reasearch. What does the school require to be a student group. Will you be required to have a constitution. To paraphrase What About Bob? "Baby steps. Start with baby steps." Get your group recognized. Build up your membership. Create bonds of sisterhood. Then worry about all the parties you'll throw and fun you'll have.

The reason there aren't more sororities and fraternities out there is that it takes a ton of work. If you're frustrated now and worried about what some people on GC say, I worry that you won't have the stamina to get your group off the ground.

=
To all of my GC Panhellenic sisters!

Love you all!!!

I know that Cristina has been confusing. If she's serious, she'll create a new organization at her school. If she's goofing around, she'll get bored and moved on. Let's all try to be as helpful as we can, and if we can't help, no need to respond.

Last edited by SoCalGirl; 07-16-2003 at 01:23 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Hey SoCalGirl,
The only problem here is that CristinaSmile's posts have been numerous (in atleast 5 or 6 threads) and almost the exact same suggestions have been made in each. I am not trying to be mean or anything, but it really bothers me that someone would repeatedly ask the exact same question and waste my time as well as the time of others. If she really wanted to start a sorority, she would have been appreciative of all that the girls in this forum are doing for her and helping her out with. Instead, she responds with remarks that are hurtful. While her response to FuzziAlum wasn't extremely rude, she did not even bother to say thank you. I really doubt that CristinaSmile is for real, and I am no longer willing to respond to her posts when I have responded already like 7 times on various threads. I hope I don't sound like a totally mean and bitchy person to you, I am just way frustrated!!!
GC Love,
Rachel
Old 07-16-2003, 02:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by absolutuscchick
Hey SoCalGirl,
The only problem here is that CristinaSmile's posts have been numerous (in atleast 5 or 6 threads) and almost the exact same suggestions have been made in each. I am not trying to be mean or anything, but it really bothers me that someone would repeatedly ask the exact same question and waste my time as well as the time of others. If she really wanted to start a sorority, she would have been appreciative of all that the girls in this forum are doing for her and helping her out with. Instead, she responds with remarks that are hurtful. While her response to FuzziAlum wasn't extremely rude, she did not even bother to say thank you. I really doubt that CristinaSmile is for real, and I am no longer willing to respond to her posts when I have responded already like 7 times on various threads. I hope I don't sound like a totally mean and bitchy person to you, I am just way frustrated!!!
GC Love,
Rachel
I don't think you're being bitchy at all. I realized you're getting frustrated which is why I mentioned that w/ the internet we read our own feelings into each post. I think I've read every post Cristina has made, and yes, it took me a bit to figure out what's going on too. I've lost track of the number of threads devoted to this. My hunch, is that she's trying to cover her bases and get as many responses as possible.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:08 AM
GreekChat Member

SoCalGirl, I LOVED your care bears example btw, it CRACKED ME UP!!!!!

As for Cristina, I'm not sure if she's legit or not, but we all have given her advice, so if she wants it, she'll take it.

Last edited by absolutuscchick; 07-16-2003 at 03:16 AM.
Old 07-16-2003, 03:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
Quote:
Originally posted by Cristinasmile
Oh my god... I really want to smack someone silly right now.

Look people-
I am starting a social women's group, not a sorority right now. Maybe some point down the road become affiliated, but not this very moment. Yes, there's a hope to affiliate with Sigma Kappa, but for now we are a women's club, not a sororority.

We may call our group Sigma Kappa Peristeri or Sigma Kappa Eirini…
Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
I think she's being shady...you don't come on here and say "I want to start a local, Kappa Kappa Gamma Rho" unless you have an intention of affiliating with KKG - she wants to be called Sigma Kappa, but it sounds like there's no intention of affiliiating with SK. We look out for each other in the NPC.
****Just my .02 cents****
I agree w/ most of you that posted about "Cristinasmile". What will she say to a friend or sister that upsets her....We cannot offer her any more help since she is NOT interested in starting a local GLO.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GeekyPenguin
Honor societies are really nothing like sororities - so they wouldn't be able to help you anyway.
I beg to differ on that statement, but this is neither the time nor place.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Is this thread being moved b/w forums. It just seems like its everywhere I go. LOL
Old 07-16-2003, 11:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnsDGsweethrt
Is this thread being moved b/w forums. It just seems like its everywhere I go. LOL
Haha, no, cristinasmile just created a thread in half a dozen forums about it. And they're all the exact same conversations. Which is a big part of the reason so many people are frustrated!
Old 07-16-2003, 11:47 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh ok! I just thought I was going nuts! LOL
Old 07-16-2003, 11:49 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnsDGsweethrt
Oh ok! I just thought I was going nuts! LOL
You might be. I think a lot of us are especially with some of these threads on GC lately.

We need a GC staff therapist
Old 07-16-2003, 11:56 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to uwwsweetie
So I have put off responding to all of Cristina's posts because I have wanted to stay nice. But I must say it is getting a little old. While I agree that she has not been the nicest we have not been the nicest in return.. So i think that i twould be a smart idea for us to all just disregard all of her posts and not give her the attention she so desperately obviously needs. If the girl doesn't know how to use google.com ther org. will never survive. She won't know how to do research to make sure that everything is running smoothly. That is just one example.

Cristina when you figure out what it is you want to create on your campus, come back to us and let us know then we may be able to help you out. For now It seems you don't even know what you want. Nor does it seem you have the motivation to actually do it. You spend too much time trying to explain it to us and it doesnt seem like enough time doing research to figure out how to make it happen. Like the other girls said, go to the locals board do some searching on the 'net and figure it out.

Someone else already said this (i think it was a Good Flowers Bloom person but I am not positive) but why don';t you try to just get a group going. Don't worry about names colors symbols, get a group of women together hang out do a service project... start with trying to just get the women, then if you are happy with the women you have, try and sit down with them and figure out if THEY ALSO want to start a sorority/official womens "group" and go from there. YOu can't start a women's group with two ppl. That is just ac ouple of friends getting together.

And I must end this post with Thanking all the GCer's on here that have posted funny comments cause you have really brightend my day. Thanks ya'll..
Old 07-16-2003, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by PiKA2001
I beg to differ on that statement, but this is neither the time nor place.
Oh we might has well - this has gotten off topic anyway. I'm in two honor societies - Omicron Delta Epsilon and Order of Omega. Order of Omega obviously isn't pertintent to her campus as they have no social GLOs, which is who the OofO members consist of. In ODE, you do nothing exceptional to be invited to membership other than take a certain amount of economics classes and maintain a high GPA. After that, you get a letter, you fill out a form, and you're in. We have meetings a few times a year and discuss pertinent issues, competitions, etc.

Contrast that with Gamma Phi (or any other social GLO) - you have to show interest in being a member, be selected based on some subjective criteria in addition to the objective standards of membership, go through a new member period to learn about the org, become initiatied, and then spend hours weekly running the show.

I don't think they have very much alike other than that they promote academic excellence and have Greek letters. I have a lot of Greek friends in other honorares (Tau Beta Pi, Psi Chi, etc) and we've all experienced hostility from members of those for also being in a social GLO. In ODE, there were two Sigma Phi Epsilons and myself, and everyone else was a GDI - notice I did not say independent, but GDI. I'm not sure where you're seeing similarities...