GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Beta > Beta Theta Pi

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 796
0 members and 796 guests
No Members online

Old 02-04-2008, 06:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Disappointed

I have been disappointed in efforts to improve communication between brothers of this brotherhood.

I did some investigating earlier and found the Phi Delt had their own Private Social Network. When I brought it up to general, they said there was no way they were going to pay the supposedly $10,000/mo. I just recently did more investigating and found a solution.

I knew there are ways for orgs to get their own private social networks for free; you just had to find them.

I am currently looking into 3 sites
one is fraternitylive.com (i got this from The Beta Theta Pi Magazine)
which I am waiting because they need to verify you.

I am also waiting for a private community website that is in Beta stage but I will give more details later.

But the site I am using is basically a private "myspace" if not better. This site allows one to create a Private Community that allows you to share video, pics, audio, formatted with Forums where you can speak on anything from Job offers to Housing Corps, Groups so certain interest groups can identify and communicate (for instance, if we had one community for the whole fraternity, it can be Betas in California), among other things. I think with the coming of the 21st century, and the availability to really find and use each other as resources; we should really get into linking together.
I have used a free webforwarding service to host this site
check out www.zhbetathetapi.tk
what do you guys think?

Last edited by zhbeta158; 02-05-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 02-04-2008, 12:30 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

I like the idea.

I do undertand how the GF/AO could have a highly cautious stand or even "NO."

Proof of concept will help start the ball rolling. So, some how the Phi Delts are doing it, the available options, costs, etc....and present it to the Brotherhood.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:00 AM
GreekChat Member

sorry the website is www.zhbetathetapi.tk
Old 02-05-2008, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Could be a good idea.

There was a set of forums available on the General Fraternity website for a while, but those are gone now. They are expensive and time-consuming to maintain, plus it can be hard to keep them truly private and also regulate content. As much as I would like there to be more dialogue, I can appreciate why GF does not want to host an online forum.

I think any online solution would be desirable provided it could be truly private and also be fairly heavily moderated to prevent inappropriate discussions. These are key to getting serious Betas to really open up and have a sincere dialogue.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:48 AM
GreekChat Member

I think it's not so bad that we keep it private as it is that we maintain membership communication. How are we to act as a fraternity if we don't know what's going on with everyone else.

I think it should be made clear that no ritual discussion should take place. I have a Google Group with 170 alumni, most of which are from other chapters. I make all go through an extensive background check before they get in. I think this can work.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

I can't say much more that Oldest Pledge, zhbeta158, and EE-BO haven't. I think it could be a great idea, but it would definitely need to be kept private in some way and ritual discussions kept to generalities.

"There is a destiny that makes us brothers, No one goes his way alone;
All that we send into the lives of others, Comes back into our own."
~ Edwin Markham
Old 02-05-2008, 05:42 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think we'll see an AO sponsored site for discussions and such for the Beta population. It's too easy for one mad Beta to type out ritual stuff and anothe rmad Beta to screenprint or copy it off and post to an open forum such as GC. It'd take literally 3 people to moderate a board like that just to keep it clean, and they'd have to be online 24/7. The AO wouldn't put their name on a site that talks about '50 year old hazing' traditions, and 'modified rituals'...etc. They can't support such things, therefore they won't house a forum for it to be discussed.

Cost isn't the issue, it's the politics around it. The AO used to have a private message board on their site about 10 years ago, it got so out of hand, they axed it.

Sites like that can be hacked, trust me, I had full roam of the Kappa Sigma 'brothers board' for years....

Until then, we have GC...and that is all.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:18 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to NickoJCU
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-kai- View Post
Sites like that can be hacked, trust me, I had full roam of the Kappa Sigma 'brothers board' for years....
Hahaha.... Nice.