GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,428
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, baangelasteaxdy
» Online Users: 2,254
2 members and 2,252 guests
Cookiez17

Old 08-28-2008, 01:05 AM
GreekChat Member

Sensitive question

I really need help with a situation and don't where where to turn. I don't have any hometown girlfriends at my school and can't ask casual friends or my sorority sisters. I've called up a few of my BFFs from back home who are off to their own colleges now, but they either didn't rush or will early next year. One of them suggested this site. My mom is great, but had the opposite advice of what I wanted to hear.

I'm attending my dream school. I definitely wanted to join a sorority and had a lot of fun during rush week. I received a bid from my sorority of choice and Bid Night I was in a dream world, starting to feel like I belonged.

The ?problem is that I was known by many people on campus before I got here because someone in my family has a familiar name. When I went through rush with the other girls, they knew who I was and were very excited to meet me. I never had that reaction at my other schools growing up because I had the same friends for so long. I liked make new friends with the other pledges, but a huge part of me wanted to fade into the woodwork whenever they fussed over who I "was.". During rush, thesisters in the houses didn't say anything at all if they recognized my name---not once the entire rush week. I was hugely happy when I got a bid to the house I wanted.

However, since Bid Night a few older sisters have rather suddenly brought up about "knowing" me, asking questions, and paying more attention to me than the other girls in my pledge class--very nicely, but still I felt awkward. Maybe I'm paranoid, but it seemed some of my pledge class didn't like it. I did everything I could to be kind to the house sisters and also include my new pledge sisters, but I'm definitely getting a lot of extra attention. Only a small part of me likes it because it doesn't seem it's really about the real me. None of the sisters paid this huge amount of attention to me in comparison to the other girls during recruitment and it was one of the big reasons why I wanted to join this sorority.

I really don't want this to be the case, so trust me when I say I'm not imagining this. The sisters in the house are making a fuss over me and a few of the other sisters and at least a few girls in my pledge class seem to look at me like they think I'm being treated special and they don't like it. I'm doing every single thing I can to make that not happen, but the sisters coming up to me seem to be important at the house and I'm sooo confused how to even act at this point. I find myself making a huge effort to include a few pledges more deeply in the visits when the older sisters start talking with me, but the convo always seems to turn around to something to do with me. I know I'm being ambiguous, but I don't know how else to say this here without being vague and I don't know where else to go. My brother and parents think it's great and I really don't, because I want to be liked for who I really am here. I can't imagine changing schools.

I know first impressions are very important and I don't want the girls in my group to resent me. They are still friendly with me, but I sense a little friction. My very BF told me iit's only been a couple weeks and this will all die down, but another friend said that I have to nip it in the bud or my pledge class will not bond with me. I have a real tendency to believe my best friends from home because they know the real me.

Gosh I hope this makes sense. I've battled with how to write it because I don't have any other place to turn. This IS my dream school, I'm excited about my classes, super excited about the sorority and the sisters there, but do not want to wreck things up.

If I'm right and some influential older sisters in the house are paying special attention to me (to the point of near embarrassment), what would you suggest for how I can make sure I don't alienate my own pledge class in any way at all?

I'm really trying hard and posted here after thinking this through and coming up with no other solutions than what I'm already doing. I'm hoping this makes sense because it's been a long day, I'm tired, and I have to be vague. I hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-28-2008, 01:17 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Maybe have a heart to heart with your Pledge Chair/Officer/whatever they call the sister who is in charge of the pledge class? She's there to make sure you transition in well and should be able to give you perspective within your pledge class and she can maybe address issues within the sisterhood (tell the initiated members to be sure not to pay too much attention to some pledges and not others, etc.). And I tend to agree with your friend that said to nip it in the bud with your pledge class -- the same officer should be able to help you set up a heart-to-heart between you and your pledge class where you can explain exactly what you said above. I think you did a fine job explaining your situation and came off as really earnest and sincere. I'm sure both your pledge sisters and the initiated sisters would receive the information well (they are obviously excited that you're there!).
Old 08-28-2008, 01:21 AM
Unregistered-

Are you sure these girls are paying attention to you for the right reasons?

If you're happy where you're at and really feel that this sorority is the one for you, then keep doing what you're doing. It's important to have a pledge class united, but honestly? Your pledge period is only for a few weeks. Your sisterhood lasts a lifetime.

When I was a collegian, I found myself hanging out more with the older girls because we had similar interests. Same when I became an alum -- I still hung out and partied with the older girls. When you've got a huge group of girls, there's bound to be drama. It's up to you to decide whether or not it's even worth it to be worrying about this.

Be active in your pledgeship and be kind to all the sisters. If they still don't like you, that's their problem. Remember...no one can make you feel inferior without your consent.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:35 AM

It seems as though you are doing the right thing in trying to include others and deflecting the extra attention. I feel like alot of new members would just be like "oh wow I'm so cool everybody loves me" and the fact that you are concerned shows maturity.

Honestly, I don't know how long it has been since you got a bid, but generally such "fuss" over new girls dies down after a few weeks (at least in my experience). By next semester, I'm willing to bet that they will have moved on and gotten over it.

If the attention really starts to bother you, you can talk to your New Member Educator and let her know. She can probably bring this behavior to the attention of the active sisters and let them know that it's not appropriate.

All you can do is be an active and contributing member, and try to hang out with everyone (not just your class OR the seniors). Yes, your class is important, but it's important to make a variety of friends within your sorority. You can't really control whether someone resents you or not for it.

Lakers Nation.

Last edited by KSUViolet06; 08-28-2008 at 01:41 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:02 AM
GreekChat Member

Okay, so I said I was going to bed, but I couldn't sleep--even though I'm exhausted--and it's only like 10:30. I thought I'd read some of the other posts and stickies. I was so surprised some of you replied already!

I was really down just after I wrote my post, thinking I made a mistake going to school away from home, but still mad because I love it here and have always wanted to go here, it works with my major/career goals, everything. Add to that, major PMS (should have known), and then my roommate asked what I was doing online because I looked weird (must have seen me struggling or something!). While I was writing my first post some loud guys had put a note under our door about meeting them in their room tonight (yeh, right, I just can't wait?!). That's when I decided to sign back on, so major thanks for replying.

You gave me some really calming advice, just what the doctor ordered. I'm so happy what I said made sense because I can't really talk about it anymore than what I've said. I agree with the advice that things will die down and liked the idea that as long as I'm friendly with everyone things should all work out. There are so many girls and personalities, it's just a lot to deal with at first.

You made me feel so welcome. I should have come here a while ago. Thanks! Those same guys are at it again and my roomie wants to open the door to see who they are, but I look like a wreck, so I'm off to go hide in bed. I hope to "see" you soon with an update after a while.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:10 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by RisingSun View Post
Okay, so I said I was going to bed, but I couldn't sleep--even though I'm exhausted--and it's only like 10:30. I thought I'd read some of the other posts and stickies. I was so surprised some of you replied already!

I was really down just after I wrote my post, thinking I made a mistake going to school away from home, but still mad because I love it here and have always wanted to go here, it works with my major/career goals, everything. Add to that, major PMS (should have known), and then my roommate asked what I was doing online because I looked weird (must have seen me struggling or something!). While I was writing my first post some loud guys had put a note under our door about meeting them in their room tonight (yeh, right, I just can't wait?!). That's when I decided to sign back on, so major thanks for replying.

You gave me some really calming advice, just what the doctor ordered. I'm so happy what I said made sense because I can't really talk about it anymore than what I've said. I agree with the advice that things will die down and liked the idea that as long as I'm friendly with everyone things should all work out. There are so many girls and personalities, it's just a lot to deal with at first.

You made me feel so welcome. I should have come here a while ago. Thanks! Those same guys are at it again and my roomie wants to open the door to see who they are, but I look like a wreck, so I'm off to go hide in bed. I hope to "see" you soon with an update after a while.
You hit the nail on the head up there. It'll seem like it's overwhelming, but that feeling goes away.

That said, enjoy your time on GreekChat. Make sure to post in your sorority's forum so that you can introduce yourself to your new sisters!
Old 08-28-2008, 02:36 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OTW View Post
When I was a collegian, I found myself hanging out more with the older girls because we had similar interests.
You're a girl?
Overall, though, it's the bigness of the car that counts the most. Because when something bad happens in a really big car – accidentally speeding through the middle of a gang of unruly young people who have been taunting you in a drive-in restaurant, for instance – it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It's like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn't really concern you too much. - P.J. O'Rourke
Old 08-28-2008, 02:38 AM

^ You're quick.
Old 08-28-2008, 03:34 AM
Unregistered-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elephant Walk View Post
You're a girl?
You're really quick. I'm an Alpha Gam.

For years I thought coramoor was female, but he isn't.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
You're really quick. I'm an Alpha Gam.

Ha! I always thought Mystic Cat was a chick...I was wrong!

AOII

One Motto, One Badge, One Bond and Singleness of Heart!

Old 08-28-2008, 09:36 AM
GreekChat Member

RisingSun, I know of a very similar situation as the one you are presently in. My very best friend from my pledge class was in the same position. She was highly recruited in all of the houses on campus. When she made her choice there was friction among the various groups that she did not select.

She found her home and was very happy and then after bid day you could see how things were going. (we happened to majorly hit it off on bid day and became quite close) The actives were showering her with so much more attention than the other pledges, she received the big/mom that she wanted with no questions asked, and the list goes on. It was quite obvious that she was being favored for who she was and it was uncomfortable. It made her feel awful and to the point that she was feeling different.

She did have numerous thoughts of leaving the sorority. Luckily, we bonded and she confided in me. Our friendship grew and I feel that was very important because she could talk with me about it and it helped ease the pressure/stress/tough feelings she had. It did carry on for a good while, but in time it passed and the women realized she was not perfect and really not that different than anyone else. She may have had a strong family name etc., but once people move beyond that they learn to find greatness in everyone. Things then change.

What I find most funny is other sororities always looked at her with those "big" eyes because they always wondered, but our family just welcomed her like she was just another sister. It will get better and it will feel wonderful in time. You are fortunate to be happy at your university and to have also been invited to the sorority you really wanted! Enjoy- time does move along quite fast!

Last edited by baci; 08-28-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 09:50 AM
GreekChat Member

But, on the other hand, if it does start to seem like your pledge class seems to be splintering at some time, I'd talk to your pledge trainer to try to get things back on track.

Not your same situation, but a pledge class last year from a "top" sorority at a college splintered due to the forming of some real exclusionary "cliques" and it caused a number of unhappy members to transfer. Splintering of the class can not only cause unhappiness in the pledge class, but can also have a detrimental effect on the whole house.

Good luck to you. I hope that things die down on their own, but if you feel that it is lingering or causing some rifts, you might have to take the step of talking to someone about it.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmom View Post
But, on the other hand, if it does start to seem like your pledge class seems to be splintering at some time, I'd talk to your pledge trainer to try to get things back on track.

Not your same situation, but a pledge class last year from a "top" sorority at a college splintered due to the forming of some real exclusionary "cliques" and it caused a number of unhappy members to transfer. Splintering of the class can not only cause unhappiness in the pledge class, but can also have a detrimental effect on the whole house.
I agree. Your entire pledge class doesn't have to be BFFs, but it helps if you're all at least cordial with one another. My pledge class had a clique of about 7 girls who kept to themselves and had little to do with most of the other girls in our PC for their entire 4 years at school. It caused a lot of issues and hurt feelings, not just with our PC, but with the entire house. A similar situation happened at the chapter I advised, but to an even more extreme degree.

I hope things settle down for you soon. Good luck!
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:29 AM
GreekChat Member

I think if you remain warm, friendly and down to earth (as your post seems to be) with everybody, it will all calm down. Eventually people will say "Can you believe ______? She's SO down to earth!" Most are impressed with someone who has some level of celebrity or fame who is unaffected by it and it helps THEM be unaffected by it too.
Old 08-28-2008, 10:37 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:

wooooooow...... I didn't know either.