GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,426
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Abisha55
» Online Users: 2,525
1 members and 2,524 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-06-2000, 06:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Question Change

I'm new to this forum and I have an important question to ask. For all of the Greeks: I am considering pledging fall semester and I want to know how becoming a member your org. has changed (good or bad) your religious belifs? I went to a Bible study arguement that talk about GLO good vs. evil. I found some interesting insites about how the bible view GLO's. But what I really want to knoe id through all the parting, drinking, and other "UnGodly" activities, did you lose or gain you sense of spirituality?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 06-06-2000, 08:02 PM
GreekChat Member

ok. From my experience, becoming part of a GLO has simply addeed to my life. Just because you join does not mean the person you are goes out the window. It has open a third eye, I see certains things diff., I learned about my past under a different light.
It is also a network. I would suggest to anyone to pursue, but I also acknowledge the fact that GLO are not for everyone. It is also lots of work, dues to be paid, community service to do and, hey, partying too!!!! When I say partying I mean supporting fellow greeks and their functions.
hope it helps.
Old 06-06-2000, 09:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Caramelattsu,

From your post, I'm assuming you are a Christian, or at the least a follower of the Bible to some extent.

If you are concerned about spirituality in general, I think that you will find your GLO experience only enhances that side of you. (Assuming it's something you pursue). You'll find many GLO members (and BGLO members) who are strong believers of a variety of religions, etc. In fact, many organizations have "religious" aspects to their rituals, etc.

As for the partying, drinking, etc. Your brothers/sisters should respect your individual beliefs. If you choose not to drink or 'party', they're not going to force you. In my personal experience, there wasn't a lot of peer pressure among GLO members to drink and party. In fact, many students (members and non-memebers) looked at those who didn't drink with respect. So you can still attend parties, have a great time, etc. without the alcohol or other substances. In fact, many organizations are going "dry" these days.

While partying is usually the most immediate thing you see among GLOs or BGLOs, it's least of their priorities. When you do some research and talk to members, you'll find that each GLO/BGLO has a number of community service and philanthropy events each semester (or quarter). The main purposes of any GLO or BGLO are service to the community and building character of the individuals involved, as well as networking (as Ghostface said).

Also, there areChristian GLOs. If you do a search on Yahoo! I know you can turn up at least a few of them.

If you have any specific questions regarding the Bible and GLOs, or related questions, please feel free to email me!

------------------
SilverTurtle@greekchat.com
Phi Beta Fraternity
Phi chapter
Old 06-06-2000, 09:48 PM
melanie

Thumbs up

As a dedicated christian and member of a GLO I'm very happy to hear your interested in joining. Greeks are often (at least on the campuses I've been on) shunned by the christian organizations on campus. We need more christians to be in both these organizations to help bridge the gap. (I could go on for hours). To your question I have seen people fall I have seen It help people myself included. It is a tremendous experience and a tremendous ministry opportunity. There are christian GLO's but I would recomend joining a regular GLO. I think there are more opportunities and you meet more diverse people than you would otherwise. If you have anyother questions email me at roberma@wku.edu or hilbilymel@netscape.net
Old 06-06-2000, 11:34 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to tickledpink
I am also a Christian, and you do not have to compromise your beliefs to become greek. You can choose other activities other than drinking and partying to support your organization (such as other fundraisers that they may have, community service...). If you choose to engage in partying & drinking against what you believe in as a Christian, then you will loose your "sense of spirituality".

Always remember to keep God first and foremost in your life and do not IDOLatize the organization that you wish to become a member of. Hold fast to your beliefs, you'll be respected more and your actions may witness to someone else.

------------------
>>>"Many women do noble things, but you surpass them all."
Charm is deceptive and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised... Proverbs 31:29-30

[This message has been edited by tickledpink (edited June 06, 2000).]
Old 06-06-2000, 11:53 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to ElleDelta3
My sorority holds very close Christian ties. Granted, not everyone in my sorority is Christian, but many rituals are based on Christinity and its beliefs. Obviously, I cannot go to deep here, but I can tell you that our rituals are beautiful and involve Christian beliefs. I normally cry during inition because it inhances my own Catholic beliefs.
Old 06-07-2000, 04:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Caramelattsu,

who did tell you what the bible says about GLO's?
How can the bible say anything about GLO's that evolved in the last two or three centuries......?

Be careful of the wannabe saints that can find a bible citation for every thing they want to proove - they do find one, because the bible is written that way.
You will also find that Jesus attended the Canaa wedding and transformed water into wine - so I doubt he is all against partying!

As a practising roman catholic I see no problems in combining one's spirituality with the sense of friendship, social activity and also partying and drinking alcohol in a fraternity. It is always a matter of quantity... and that is in your hands.

Go ahead and pledge and try to get your own picture of things. Try not to have other people, who often do not know what they are talking about, create this picture (in this case of GLO's).
Old 06-08-2000, 08:07 AM
GreekChat Member

I don't have the scriptures on me, but what was told to me was that the bible says that joining any orginazations in which the initiation is secretative or selective. It says that God doesn't discriminate so org. shouldn't. I'm not an expert in this field and I WILL do a lot more research before I decide any thing. Thank you for your repose!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by matthewg:
Caramelattsu,

who did tell you what the bible says about GLO's?
How can the bible say anything about GLO's that evolved in the last two or three centuries......?

Be careful of the wannabe saints that can find a bible citation for every thing they want to proove - they do find one, because the bible is written that way.
You will also find that Jesus attended the Canaa wedding and transformed water into wine - so I doubt he is all against partying!

As a practising roman catholic I see no problems in combining one's spirituality with the sense of friendship, social activity and also partying and drinking alcohol in a fraternity. It is always a matter of quantity... and that is in your hands.

Go ahead and pledge and try to get your own picture of things. Try not to have other people, who often do not know what they are talking about, create this picture (in this case of GLO's).

[This message has been edited by Caramelattsu (edited June 08, 2000).]
Old 06-08-2000, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Skype™ to SilverTurtle
Arrow

Caramelattsu

I'm not sure (because, as you said, you don't have the scriptutes) but I imagine those scriptures referring to staying away from selective/secretive organizations referred to 'pagan' sects back in the old, old days (i.e. Moses).

Right after Christ died (and then rose again, and then ascended to Heaven) Christians often had to be secretive! Not that they weren't evangelizing, but they had to keep their meetings pretty quiet and such to protect their lives. Many of the Christian "symbols" you see today (like that little fish) come from this time, when Christians used them to identify each other!

I have heard people say that GLOs are anti-biblical because you take 'oaths'. I did make a couple of pledges (not oaths), and if you heard them I can almost gurantee that you would agree they're not anything but "Christ-like".