GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,444
4 members and 1,440 guests
Phrozen Sands

Old 08-26-2008, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Community College Fraternity?

I just wanted to know if there has ever been a fraternity in a comminity college, if not is it possible?
Old 08-26-2008, 12:22 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Sigma Epsilon at Wildwood Community College
Omega Kappa Chi at Riverside Community College

That was from wikipedia. The rest you will have to research on your own. Good luck.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:05 AM
GreekChat Member

I think there was (is?) a chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity at Miami-Dade Community College.... though now it's just Miami-Dade College (they recently changed into a 4 year institution).
Old 08-26-2008, 03:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdonline View Post
I think there was (is?) a chapter of Sigma Phi Epsilon Fraternity at Miami-Dade Community College.... though now it's just Miami-Dade College (they recently changed into a 4 year institution).
There was, along with a TKE chapter, back in the 70s but Greek life didn't survive there.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Its worth a shot... the lack of on-campus living at most community colleges would make it tough but some nationals obviously allow it.
Old 08-26-2008, 04:23 PM
GreekChat Member

Vincennes University has Sigma Pi and one other NIC fraternity. They have recently started offering a limited number of 4-yr degrees, but the fraternities were there when it was exclusively a 2-year school.

Oh, and they have dorms so many of the students do live on campus.

So I depart that I may now better serve my fellow man, my country & God
Old 08-26-2008, 05:12 PM
GreekChat Member

To be truthful, it has happened and it really doesnt work.

The simple fact is that if there were this happening, it would and could be hard to transfer to a 4 Year college and be accepted. One would not have to be.

LXA voted it down in 2004 at Gen. Ass.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 08-26-2008, 06:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdonline View Post
This would be something interesting to keep tabs on.... In Florida, most of the community colleges are transitioning into 4 year schools and are attracting more and more 4 year students.

Old 08-26-2008, 07:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thetagirl218 View Post
This would be something interesting to keep tabs on.... In Florida, most of the community colleges are transitioning into 4 year schools and are attracting more and more 4 year students.

I wonder if that has anything to do with state funding?

Old 08-26-2008, 07:52 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Peeing on you and telling you it's rain apparently...
Yes, traditional schools are turning people away in droves because they don't have the money to fund larger freshman classes. I'm so glad I graduated when I did because my little sisters and friends are getting cheated as majors are being dropped and departments get condensed to save money.

But in a way it's not too horrible because so many FL kids end up in community college anyways, they don't think further than local CCs. I didn't even really consider university either until my parents made me apply and then made me go. (I'm glad they pushed though!)

Last edited by BabyPiNK_FL; 08-26-2008 at 08:33 PM.
Old 08-26-2008, 11:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ree-Xi View Post
I wonder if that has anything to do with state funding?
It does indeed! It also has a lot to do with what Baby Pink mentioned, the fact that traditional universities can no longer fund large freshman classes and are more selective. Also a lot of people go to community college because it is local and cheaper than your average university. They also want 4 year degrees at the cheaper price and close location. This has led the state of Florida to grant Community colleges the right to become 4 year colleges (starting with St. Petersburg College in 2002). It started with only granting degrees for fields with a large need, such as education and nursing, but it has grown rapidly to include many other fields.

Now the only difference with these schools is that they are solely commuter based, and don't have the on-campus housing and feel that universities do.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:00 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForeverRoses View Post
Vincennes University has Sigma Pi and one other NIC fraternity. They have recently started offering a limited number of 4-yr degrees, but the fraternities were there when it was exclusively a 2-year school.

Oh, and they have dorms so many of the students do live on campus.
To be clear, though, Vincennes is a two-year university, not a community college. And it has granted baccalaureate degrees in select disciplines since prior to the founding of Sigma Pi there.

I may be remembering this wrong, but I seem to recall that the NIC made the decision not to restrict membership to those organizations that chartered only in four-year colleges because Sigma Pi, a founding member of the NIC, had its Alpha Chapter at Vincennes.

BTW, Pi Lambda Phi is the other national fraternity currently at Vincennes. All other Greek groups there are local, I think. And SFAIK, TKE and SigEp are the only two NIC fraternities that have chartered at community colleges, and I don't think either does so any more.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:06 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ottie View Post
I just wanted to know if there has ever been a fraternity in a comminity college, if not is it possible?
Gamma Beta Chi National Service Fraternity Incorporated caters to students at;

4 year institutions
2 year institutions
Career Schools
&
Technical Schools
Old 08-27-2008, 03:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Alpha Phi Omega used to have several chapters at community colleges.

All have gone under.

Due to the problem of getting chapters going and keeping them going at community college, I don't think APO is opening to chartering at community colleges.

I did work to help a chapter get re-chartered at a community college that became a four-year school, but it wasn't successful.
Section 71 Chair
Old 08-28-2008, 09:55 AM
GreekChat Member

Delta Upsilon had a chapter at Tyler Jr. College in Tyler,Texas from 1971-1988. Chapter was withdrawn due to risk management issues don't think DU will try at a Jr. College again.