GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,290
2 members and 1,288 guests
LaneSig

Old 01-20-2009, 07:41 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't be afraid to try different things. No matter if its ballroom dance, inter-mural sports, the debate team, if you are interested GO FOR IT! Don't overload yourself with activities, but this is one of the few times to start over and be who you want to be.

Also, the biggest thing I noticed was the change in time commitment. In high school I was in class for 7 hours a day and did about 1-2 hours of homework a night on top of after-school activities. College came, and now I have about 4 hours of class a day and a lot more time spent studying, reading and doing other work to prepare for class.

While living in the dorms, THE MAINTAINERS ARE YOUR BEST FRIENDS. Get to know them, say hi if you pass them in the hall. The happier they are, the happier you will be when you have nice clean bathrooms, lounges and hallways.

Last edited by XAntoftheSkyX; 01-20-2009 at 07:45 PM. Reason: Added a point.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 01-31-2009, 11:04 AM
GreekChat Member

Take advantage of all the amazing things offered to students are sharply discounted prices: great theater, the pool, the golf course(s).

Although I did take full advantage of the big, gorgeous ice-cold Natatorium waters 2-3 times a week to swim laps, I didn't discover that Penn State had 2 amazing golf courses until my senior year, where students were charged very low greens fees.

Didn't discover theater until I HAD to go for an elective theater course, and then regretted all the nights I spent going to bars and parties, when I could have mixed in some top-notch low-price/free theater and still popped into a party later for a beer or two.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:15 AM

Here's a good one:

If you end up joining a sorority, please don't think you're going to be INSTANT best friends with every girl in the chapter.

Just like every new situation in life, making friends takes time.

So please don't be alarmed if you've been in the chapter for 2 weeks and everyone isn't like, totally your best friend. It takes longer than your new member period to build friendships.

Also, don't sit back and expect older members to make ALL the effort to get to know you. You have to make some effort on your part to make friends too.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-18-2009, 04:59 PM
GreekChat Member

*bump*

It's that time of year again.

-If you are staying at the dorm, before you move in, read the rules and regulations on what you can have and can't have. For instance, heating appliances (i.e. coffee machines, toasters, George Foreman grills) are a big no-no in dorms due to fire hazards. Leave them at home unless you want to be fined.

-If you are unable to have your own computer by the start of school, don't worry. Just know where the computer labs are (especially 24 hour ones). Your dorm might have a computer lab. The nice thing with me is that I once live on the same floor where the computer lab was. With the 24 hour labs that are not available your dorm, make sure that your are not walking alone at night to go to those labs.

-Before the first day of classes, pull out your schedule and campus map and find the buildings and rooms for your classes. In that way, things will be easier.

-And yes to snail mail. Keep in mind that some of your family members don't own a computer or don't know how to use one.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:27 PM

Bumping!

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-03-2013, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Thank you for bumping this!
Old 10-31-2013, 02:51 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
I have one! If you submit an assignment that is identical to another student's, down to the formatting and highlighting colors, don't try to convince the professor that you didn't cheat.
Old 10-31-2013, 02:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
I have one! If you submit an assignment that is identical to another student's, down to the formatting and highlighting colors, don't try to convince the professor that you didn't cheat.
Haha, um... this actually happens?!

@~/~~~~
Old 10-31-2013, 11:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASTalumna06 View Post
Haha, um... this actually happens?!
Yeah, the excuses I heard today were brilliant.