GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Risk Management - Hazing & etc.

Risk Management - Hazing & etc. This forum covers Risk Management topics such as: Hazing, Alcohol Abuse/Awareness, Date Rape Awareness, Eating Disorder Prevention, Liability, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,126
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, babobygooglet93
» Online Users: 787
0 members and 787 guests
No Members online

Old 04-25-2005, 04:13 AM
GreekChat Member

17-yr-old Woman Falls from Fraternity Balcony (U of Virginia, Pi Kappa Alpha)

The student paper says the 17-year-old woman fell when a balcony railing gave way. Reportedly she is doing okay, although hospitalized. The report says alcohol was involved. It may be that she was "with the band," and not invited by the Pi Kappa Alphas at the U. of Virginia.

http://www.cavalierdaily.com/CVArtic...23402&pid=1296

Chances are we'll see more about this as investigations proceed.
Old 04-26-2005, 02:18 PM
GreekChat Member

seems to be a bit epidemic right now.
second one of this board today.
Old 04-26-2005, 04:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to gphiangel624
This adds to my curiosity of whether or not underage students/non-students including family members of fraternity/sorority members are or should be addressed in risk management policies. I can recall dozens of parties just before the start of my freshman year in which a number of soon-to-be students were recent high school grads, many of them still under 18 (including myself- I turned 18 three days after starting college). And I recall more parties as an undergrad in which fraternity members would bring little brothers and sisters, some as young as 15. It makes me more concerned now that I work with fraternity/sorority members that may not realize the liability of bringing someone's little brother/sister to a party... new issue for me to address with my students.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Update April 26:

Reportedly, the girl said she brought her own alcohol. Of course there may still be an issue about the safety of the railing.

From the Richmond, Virginia paper:

A 17-year-old girl who broke her back when she fell off a porch during a University of Virginia fraternity party has been released from the hospital . . . .

The teen had been drinking before the accident, Upman said. She told police she brought her own alcohol to the party in a water bottle, and Upman said there was no evidence she was served drinks at the party.

"Apparently, she did not go through the front door as most of the guests did. She arrived with the band that was playing," Upman said. "It appears that the fraternity did everything they were supposed to do."

City police are investigating the incident. The Inter-Fraternity Council will conduct its own investigation . . .

http://www.timesdispatch.com/servlet...=1031782366030

Last edited by exlurker; 04-26-2005 at 05:19 PM.
Old 04-26-2005, 11:45 PM

Maybe we should all have our parties in the basement. It's more difficult to hurt yourself falling out of the basement window.

Seriously, I'm glad the young lady wasn't more seriously hurt, and this time I really won't make my usual comment about "falls from high places."
The above is the opinion of the poster which may or may not be based in known facts and does not necessarily reflect the views of Delta Tau Delta or Greek Chat -- but it might.