GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Careers & Employment

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,425
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, zenjaminusasdz5
» Online Users: 2,573
1 members and 2,572 guests
Joobee

Old 03-19-2005, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Showing your affiliation

How do you show your affiliation at work? Do you have a picture of your sisters on your desk? Do you wear the occasional lavaliere or ring? Use a sorority mousepad?

I've just started a new job. I'm very proud to be Greek and would like to show my letters somehow, but I don't want to be too OTT about it. Being professional is key.

Any suggestions?
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 03-19-2005, 01:46 AM

Send a message via AIM to Jill1228
I have a lanyard that has my timecard on it and discount card.

I need the time card to get in and out of the building, it is much more useful to have it around my neck instead of rummaging thru my pockets and stuff

So if you have a key card to get in your building, you could have it on a lanyard with your letters.

(I got mine from joetoga.com)

A lavaliere is cool too
Old 03-19-2005, 02:27 PM

I generally don't show my affiliation at work, but I do have a nice lily-of-the-valley crystal pin that I wear occasionally... if anyone comments on it, I mention that it's my sorority's flower.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:31 PM
GreekChat Member

I have an anchor lavalier I wear alot. I would probably use a Mug or something. But I think a mousepad might be a little much in my office. There was an AKA that had a really nice umbrella with her letters. The key is functional without looking too cheesy.
Old 03-19-2005, 04:38 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a nice mousepad that has a sketch of our badge, along with a lettered pillow I use for lumbar support.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:34 PM

i have a mouse pad and a coffee mug. the coffee mug just has dolphins and pansies on it.

when i was teaching, i carred my tote bag around that had letters on it. if i go back to teaching, i might resurrect the bag.
Old 03-19-2005, 09:09 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to chideltjen
Our symbol is the palm tree so I can pretty much grab anything tropical (with palm trees) and it would be like showing my affiliation... even though I'm not really. (I just really like palm trees too.)

My keys have a lanyard on them too... but it's so old and beat up that you can barely make out what it says on it. I need a new one.

But as far as letters go... nah...
Old 03-19-2005, 09:47 PM
GreekChat Member

I have various pictures from a few conventions on the walls of my cubicle, I wear my badge on a pendant a few times a week, a bracelet and a few other random things around my cubicle.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a license plate frame and wear a necklace with a lyre charm(or would this be a pendant?). A couple of months ago I had 2 girls that were just out of college ask me if I was an AXO. I said "yes, how did you know?" They had seen my lyre charm. One of the girls was a DZ the other was a GPBeta.
Old 03-20-2005, 08:28 AM
GreekChat Member

My workplace is extremely causal (t-shirts and jeans) so I wear my old shirts a lot. I wear my lavalier and lyre charm every day, too. And my car has a license plate frame.

Once I get a real job I'm sure I'll bring some of my lyre things to work, but I won't have letters everywhere.
Old 03-20-2005, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to PhoenixAzul
hehe, I coached rowing this summer, and most of the time i was coaching soon to be 10th or 11th graders...so I occasionally wore one of my "older" shirts that I wasn't afraid to get dirty or I wore a hoodie from homecoming or something. One of the boys said to me as I was coxing, "what does T Triangle mean?". I had to go into the explaination that I was in a sorority blah blah blah. It was really funny because I overheard one of the guys saying "OMG, Tracey's in a sorority, that's HOT!".

I also work at the YMCA as a lifeguard and occasionally as a desk attendant. I use my bag to carry workout clothes, I wear my lavalier every day, and I will wear shirts or hoodies often. There's a lot of Greeks at the Y, you just have to be on the lookout for their symbols. I know there's an AKA (or an A Phi).who's on the management level, she kinda smiled at me the other day when I had my hoodie on...and I noticed a little ivy pin on her sweater.
Old 03-20-2005, 10:03 PM
GreekChat Member

I love all of your ideas!

Now I just need to decide what to do...
Old 03-20-2005, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I have a few cups around w/ SK on them, and I've also got a pen & notepad I use to take notes or jot down reminders. I only use my lanyard on my badge if I wear a skirt or dress or otherwise I wouldn't have a way to wear it.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:08 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't show my affiliation at work. If people ask I will tell them that I am a Kappa Sig, and I've mentioned my experience, but other than that and pictures of friends, I don't really have anything at my desk.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:39 PM
Super Moderator

On my ego wall (diplomas, certificiates) in my office, I have my fraternity membership certificate. I also have a whiskey decanter with our seal on one side and our crest on the other sitting on top of one of my shelves.

Unless you were a Sigma Nu, you wouldn't know what you were looking at.
Mu Tau 5, Central Oklahoma