GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment

Recruitment General discussion about recruitment.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,123
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, zsamulpitt5293
» Online Users: 1,197
0 members and 1,197 guests
No Members online

Old 07-05-2003, 06:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to kristi_ann81
Arrow Something for PNMs to Remember

I thought of something today that I want all PNMs to remember this fall during rush. Sometimes when a group of PNMs go through rush they feel pressured to stick together in deciding which sorority they would like to be in. I know I felt like I'd grow apart from my friends in other sororities, or that they'd make better friends in their new sorority and forget all about me. I've now graduated from college and things turned out much differently than I envisioned during rush. First off, I ended up transferring after my freshman year to a school without my sorority. Now, 3 years later, the girls I keep in touch with do include several of my sisters I pledged with, but the one I keep in touch with the best is actually someone who depledged my sorority. And another friend who's still very close was indeed in a different sorority from me. Both of my best friends (one from childhood and one from the school I transferred to) are in sororities different from mine. It doesn't matter that we're all in different sororities, we still have the common experience of being members of greek life. And no matter what sorority you choose to pledge, your true friends will ALWAYS be your friends.

Not sure I put that as elloquently as I had wanted to, but the point is, do NOT follow your friends just for the sake of sticking together. I know way too many girls that have done this and ended up miserable because they were in the sorority that was right for their friend, not for them. Be yourself and just have fun!
Old 07-05-2003, 07:16 PM
GreekChat Member

kristi ann, i couldn't agree more. when my best friends and i went through rush, we all promised ourselves that no matter what happened we woudl remain friends. and we have! 4 of us are in sororities: 2 of us in the same, and the 2 others in different ones. one of my friends went through rush and then dropped out because it wasn't for her. although i love my sorority and all my sisters, and love spending time with them, i'm glad that my friendships outside of greek life will continue to grow and stay strong. so all you PNMs, don't follow your friends! you will end up where you are meant to be!
Old 07-05-2003, 08:30 PM
GreekChat Member

I have to say something about this for members of the active chapter. NEVER think b/c 2 girls are stuck together like glue during rush that they are a "package" deal. Some girls may have just met the 1st day of rush or were best friends since high school. never let it affect whether you offer the person a bid. we had a girl we really liked, thought she was a "package" deal with another girl, but we decided to bid her anyway. Well, we got her and her friend went to another house (ironically, the one that we share a wall of our house with!). things work out for the best and both were very happy with their choices.
Old 07-05-2003, 09:13 PM

Re: Something for PNMs to Remember

Quote:
Originally posted by kristi_ann81
Not sure I put that as elloquently as I had wanted to, but the point is, do NOT follow your friends just for the sake of sticking together. I know way too many girls that have done this and ended up miserable because they were in the sorority that was right for their friend, not for them. Be yourself and just have fun!
You worded that beautifully, and it's oh so true. Be yourself, have fun, get to know a lot of new friends and find the sorority that's right for you!
Old 07-06-2003, 12:48 PM

Very wise advise, Kristi Ann! Thanks for posting
Old 07-09-2003, 01:26 AM
Super Moderator

Everyone in my Rho Chi group literally went with a different sorority! The fun thing is, three of us stayed close, and also became active in Panhellenic Council - because we learned early to think panhellenically!

On the other hand, I would advise PNMs to be sure to check out who else is at the last two parties - especially pref. These are the ladies who the chapter sees as future sisters - YOUR future sisters!
Old 07-09-2003, 09:02 AM

I went through rush with 4 of my best friends. We were all determined to stick together and most of the chapters probably thought we were a packaged deal. I even later found out from my Big that my own sorority had labeled me a packaged deal with a friend of mine before rush had even began; some girls from my HS knew the two of us were coming through rush and told the chapter that we'd probably follow each other into the same sorority.
After the second day of rush, the 4 of us knew that our interests were very different and our hearts were all in different places. I went ZTA, another went KD, and another went Tri-Delta. The 4th was torn between Tri-Delta, ADPi, and KD. She went with Tri-Delta because she wanted to be in the same place as my friend. After a year, she realized she would have fit in better with ADPi or KD and ended up dropping the sorority. It was a heart breaking experience for her because she never got to feel that "sisterhood" since she never felt she had fit in with her chapter and she kept longing to be in another chapter. (sidenote: Tri-Delta is WONDERFUL on my campus; my friend just did not fit into the chapter...that's all I'm saying. ).
It was the best decision that we all made, though. We all (except friend #4) picked the house that was best for us. I don't think we would have been happy following each other all to the same house.
I always tell girls who are torn at prefs because they don't want to leave a friend that if you are truly friends with someone, you'll stay friends no matter what sorority you're in.
All 4 of us are still friends to this day. (well...that's a lie, friend #3 and I aren't but that's because we lived with each other junior year....HUGE mistake....)
Old 07-09-2003, 09:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Maybe my chapter is weird but my non AST friends are my saving grace. Sometimes after a long chapter meeting or a bit of drama, you want to hang out and NOT think about the sorority stuff. I don't in any way mean to sound negative but you put 30+ girls in a room, drama is bound to occur occasionally. They totally keep me sane and able to be in the sorority. I dunno maybe its just me, but you need life outside the sorority too.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to bsp-mich24
Important Hints...

Bumping the thread back to the top.

I think this ladies have some very good pointers for the PNM's kristi_ann81, AOIIalum, honeychile, AAgammagirl, lalaelon & KillarneyRose (I hope I didn't leave anyone out).

44 days until the 1st of 3 rush info sessions and 55 days until recruitment. Ok I'll stop now.
Old 07-18-2003, 09:18 PM
GreekChat Member

I just want to tell the PNMs to always follow your heart. Go where you heart tells you, not where your friends tell you.

And...GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2003, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Buttonz Send a message via MSN to Buttonz Send a message via Yahoo to Buttonz
One more quick point: Don't liste nto what other people say! Go into rush ready to check out every house...who knows, maybe the last one that you expected will be the right one for you! Good Luck!

Patriae Multae Spes Una
Old 07-20-2003, 08:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedFox
Thanks for the advice! One of the uppers to transferring and then rushing for the first time is that you don't know anyone, and it is really a time to show people who you are. I see rush not only has a good experience and hopefully to get a bid and find a family away from home...but also to meet some great people, whether they join a sorority or not! I'm so excited, August is just too far away!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by RedFox
Thanks for the advice! One of the uppers to transferring and then rushing for the first time is that you don't know anyone, and it is really a time to show people who you are. I see rush not only has a good experience and hopefully to get a bid and find a family away from home...but also to meet some great people, whether they join a sorority or not! I'm so excited, August is just too far away!

honey august is next week!!!!
37 days until smiley's rush! aaahhh!!!
Old 07-21-2003, 12:19 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to absolutuscchick
Quote:
Originally posted by smiley21
honey august is next week!!!!
37 days until smiley's rush! aaahhh!!!
Yay...9 or 10 days til I move into my apartment!
Boo...its still 38 days til Orientation, and 44 days til Bid Day
Old 07-21-2003, 12:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to RedFox
34 days left till recruitment for me!!