GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,125
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, PiperJarma
» Online Users: 1,404
4 members and 1,400 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, Xidelt

Old 08-18-2010, 09:55 PM
GreekChat Member

HOW TO HELP A FRIEND???

My friend went through fraternity recruitment and was very well liked by the different fraternities and was given his top picks. He went to a fraternity that I knew would bite him in the ass. It takes thick skin to join this frat. They are the athletic, cute, rich boys. Even if he was fitting in this was the frat that is more about social life, the right sorority girl, and being popular than brotherhood. Sure enough he ended up quitting after a brother backstabbed him out of jealousy. I was really proud of him for getting a bid because he is from here but had moved out of state for years. My problem is how to convince him that maybe it just wasn't meant for him. He tried to join the other frats that he had friends in and had initially wanted him but things were just awkward and deep down something didn't fit with him and them. It's hard to explain how you can be friends with someone but yet that you don't fit the image? He is really upset over how member's of the frats have said _______only got in bc of his 4.0 and nobody likes him. My friend agrees well that's not good for ___ but atleast he is in one. Another guy he is friends with went to school with a lot of his frat brothers and were never friends so it's like why can that dude join and not him?? It's hard for him because on paper everything is great, many family members who have been Greek (none chapters left on campus) but still a point to mention. I am having trouble helping him because I don't know how to explain that a homosexual latino was accepted into a top tier or a boy who was 1st in his family to go to college but not my friend. All I can tell him if you are friends with guys in it then that's the point not exactly being part of the fat. This is a competative school so I am thinking if he went back to where he lived maybe that would help? I am not trying to be rude but I know that many guys get in because they knew members for a long time. It just seems like bad luck for my friend and I feel bad for him when nobody I have ever known has been rejected from finding a place to fit in. Thanks for the advise if it isn't "oh go cry a river".
Old 08-18-2010, 09:59 PM
GreekChat Member

Just to be completly forward I think it is Karma. He had a chance to join some great frats but didn't because at the moment it was a "bad year". We all know frat popularity changes with each pledge class but what can you tell a freshman caught up on hype? He could be in a fraternity that would build the right college values but he passed because of now graduated popular opinions. Either if he deserved the Karma it still sucks he is missing out on so much in college!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondie_babe View Post
My friend went through fraternity recruitment and was very well liked by the different fraternities and was given his top picks. He went to a fraternity that I knew would bite him in the ass. It takes thick skin to join this frat. They are the athletic, cute, rich boys. Even if he was fitting in this was the frat that is more about social life, the right sorority girl, and being popular than brotherhood. Sure enough he ended up quitting after a brother backstabbed him out of jealousy. I was really proud of him for getting a bid because he is from here but had moved out of state for years. My problem is how to convince him that maybe it just wasn't meant for him. He tried to join the other frats that he had friends in and had initially wanted him but things were just awkward and deep down something didn't fit with him and them. It's hard to explain how you can be friends with someone but yet that you don't fit the image? He is really upset over how member's of the frats have said _______only got in bc of his 4.0 and nobody likes him. My friend agrees well that's not good for ___ but atleast he is in one. Another guy he is friends with went to school with a lot of his frat brothers and were never friends so it's like why can that dude join and not him?? It's hard for him because on paper everything is great, many family members who have been Greek (none chapters left on campus) but still a point to mention. I am having trouble helping him because I don't know how to explain that a homosexual latino was accepted into a top tier or a boy who was 1st in his family to go to college but not my friend. All I can tell him if you are friends with guys in it then that's the point not exactly being part of the fat. This is a competative school so I am thinking if he went back to where he lived maybe that would help? I am not trying to be rude but I know that many guys get in because they knew members for a long time. It just seems like bad luck for my friend and I feel bad for him when nobody I have ever known has been rejected from finding a place to fit in. Thanks for the advise if it isn't "oh go cry a river".
Scratches head. Ok I'm having trouble understanding what you are trying to say.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:06 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My friend went through fraternity recruitment and was very well liked by the different fraternities and was given his top picks.
Good
Quote:
He went to a fraternity that I knew would bite him in the ass. It takes thick skin to join this frat.
Bad.
Quote:
They are the athletic, cute, rich boys.
Boring.

Quote:
Even if he was fitting in this was the frat that is more about social life, the right sorority girl, and being popular than brotherhood. Sure enough he ended up quitting after a brother backstabbed him out of jealousy.
Bad.
Quote:
I was really proud of him for getting a bid because he is from here but had moved out of state for years. My problem is how to convince him that maybe it just wasn't meant for him.
Why?
Quote:
He tried to join the other frats that he had friends in and had initially wanted him but things were just awkward and deep down something didn't fit with him and them. It's hard to explain how you can be friends with someone but yet that you don't fit the image?
No?

Quote:
He is really upset over how member's of the frats have said _______only got in bc of his 4.0 and nobody likes him. My friend agrees well that's not good for ___ but atleast he is in one.
Bitter.

Quote:
Another guy he is friends with went to school with a lot of his frat brothers and were never friends so it's like why can that dude join and not him??
Because.
Quote:
It's hard for him because on paper everything is great, many family members who have been Greek (none chapters left on campus) but still a point to mention.
So?
Quote:
I am having trouble helping him because I don't know how to explain
Obvious.
Quote:
that a homosexual latino
Really? D<
Quote:
was accepted into a top tier or a boy who was 1st in his family to go to college but not my friend.
Bitter.
Quote:
All I can tell him if you are friends with guys in it then that's the point not exactly being part of the fat.
Typo
Quote:
This is a competitive school so I am thinking if he went back to where he lived maybe that would help?
Why?
Quote:
I am not trying to be rude but I know that many guys get in because they knew members for a long time.
*sigh*
Quote:
It just seems like bad luck for my friend and I feel bad for him when nobody I have ever known has been rejected from finding a place to fit in.
Lies.

Quote:
Thanks for the advise if it isn't "oh go cry a river".
Oh go cry a river.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

How do I make him feel better? I see no reason for someone to not find atleast 1 place to be and so it boils down to he has this huge regret for going one place and it not working out. I don't have the answers for how a homosexual or a guy who gets in bc he has a 4.0 and yet my friend can't be part of something. Like my friend does checks and balances. It isn't like there are openly things against him like say going to a conservative school and being homosexual and still joining a top tier frat.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Just to be completly forward I think it is Karma. He had a chance to join some great frats but didn't because at the moment it was a "bad year". We all know frat popularity changes with each pledge class but what can you tell a freshman caught up on hype? He could be in a fraternity that would build the right college values but he passed because of now graduated popular opinions. Either if he deserved the Karma it still sucks he is missing out on so much in college!
Fail.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How do I make him feel better? I see no reason for someone to not find atleast 1 place to be and so it boils down to he has this huge regret for going one place and it not working out. I don't have the answers for how a homosexual or a guy who gets in bc he has a 4.0 and yet my friend can't be part of something. Like my friend does checks and balances. It isn't like there are openly things against him like say going to a conservative school and being homosexual and still joining a top tier frat.
You're both losers who think being gay is a bad thing.

Also you say "homosexual" a lot.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:10 PM
GreekChat Member

I would be bitter also if my friend had a friend who was accepted into a frat with guys he knew a long time and they didn't like him but they were all close with my friend. That kind of stuff doesn't add up.

Maybe I make it confusing. My friend is guy A who is close with guys B but guy C went to school with guys B and they weren't friends. Guy C and guys B are now frat brothers but not my friend who has close family ties to them.

Last edited by blondie_babe; 08-18-2010 at 10:13 PM.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:12 PM
GreekChat Member

Don't try to play like everyday in a southern state does a gay minority get into a heavily ranked frat. I don't care how you feel on homsexuality but around here it isn't common or something accepted and I am fine with my deep rooted Sunday revivials. Therefore this makes my friend in a very heterocentric society feel less of a person.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:14 PM
GreekChat Member

Drolefille, I am so glad you undertood the poster, because I got lost in the essay.
Reaffirmed: Glen Ellyn Area Alumnae
All in the MIGHTY MIDWEST REGION!
Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Quote:
It's taking a lot not to comment on your writing skills and stay on topic, and I won't, but I'm not sure what you are asking us. There is nothing that you can do for a dude who chose the "wrong" fraternity, got in a spat with a brother and then quit. Honestly, it sounds like you're actually the guy, pretending you are a concerned female friend.

As for you blatant racist and prejudiced remarks, I'm dumbfounded. In your mind, being Latino, homosexual, the first in one's family to go to college, or the first in one's family to go Greek makes someone less worthy of brotherhood. I know that there are still too many people who think that "their kind" is supreme over all others, and that only the privileged/white/local people from highly educated and history in the Greek system deserve to be in a fraternity (and I'm guessing sorority), but do you have to say it out loud here?

You make me sick.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:20 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I would be bitter also if my friend had a friend who was accepted into a frat with guys he knew a long time and they didn't like him but they were all close with my friend. That kind of stuff doesn't add up.

Maybe I make it confusing. My friend is guy A who is close with guys B but guy C went to school with guys B and they weren't friends. Guy C and guys B are now frat brothers but not my friend who has close family ties to them.
Your friend joined a fraternity and dropped out. He then tried to join others and didn't get in.

"Your friend" sounds like he's already been told he's not going to fit in and isn't listening.

Quote:
Don't try to play like everyday in a southern state does a gay minority get into a heavily ranked frat. I don't care how you feel on homsexuality but around here it isn't common or something accepted and I am fine with my deep rooted Sunday revivials. Therefore this makes my friend in a very heterocentric society feel less of a person.
He feels like less of a person because a gay guy was picked over him? Yeah the fraternities are missing out on a really class act. That means your friend has issues, not the "southern Sunday revival fraternities" for choosing a "gay minority"
Old 08-18-2010, 10:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladygreek View Post
Drolefille, I am so glad you undertood the poster, because I got lost in the essay.
For a limited definition of "understood."

But it's what i do.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:24 PM
GreekChat Member

It is just complicated. He has that seemingly common attitude of legacies. He is nothing unless he is as great as his family syndrome. Just to add to his long list of problems being the only non-greek is like another failure. I really do feel bad for him because it just seems unfair to have so many struggles.
Old 08-18-2010, 10:28 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
How do I make him feel better?

>> You can't. He needs to be a man and figure out other ways (or other fraternities to rush) to make himself happy.

I see no reason for someone to not find atleast 1 place to be and so it boils down to he has this huge regret for going one place and it not working out. I don't have the answers for how a homosexual or a guy who gets in bc he has a 4.0 and yet my friend can't be part of something.

>> He was. He quit. Maybe the homosexual Latino who is first in his family to go to college and join a fraternity came across as a better potential brother than your friend with a 4.0.

Like my friend does checks and balances. It isn't like there are openly things against him like say going to a conservative school and being homosexual and still joining a top tier frat.

>> Maybe he's boring? Not fun? Not friendly? Maybe he's a douche.
Quote:

>> You're not making a lot of sense.

Quote:

>> Have fun at your revivals pretending to be a good person when you treat your fellow human beings like shit because they are different than you. Maybe not to their faces - but behind their backs, which in my mind, is hypocritical. Don't hide behind a history of ignorance and intolerance, and especially not your religion. The boys in the "top tier frat" thought enough of the poor gay Latino without pedigree papers to pledge him.

Quote:
It is just complicated. He has that seemingly common attitude of legacies. He is nothing unless he is as great as his family syndrome. Just to add to his long list of problems being the only non-greek is like another failure. I really do feel bad for him because it just seems unfair to have so many struggles.
Laughing my freaking ass off. Not being Greek is not a struggle. Oh, you ignorant child. Bless your empty heart.