GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,353
1 members and 1,352 guests
John

Old 08-08-2011, 05:11 AM
GreekChat Member

Unique Rush Situation

Hi Y'all,

I have a bit of an unique situation and would love some advice. While in high school I participated in a program that allowed me to earn college credits while in high school and graduated with one year completed. After.. graduating I went to college for a year and had to take a break last year due to complicated famly issues. Now, I have transferred universities and would love to pledge a sorority.

This is really my sophomore year of college considering the time I had to take off. However, I have roughly 53 credits because of the classes I took while in high school. Should I consider myself a sophomore with my 53 credits or consider myself a junior? I am asking because I know not rushing my freshman is going to severely hurt my chances of getting a bid. Rush at my school is very competitive. Also, I have heard that being a junior would actually help me out as they do not count as part of the quota but rather are just extra additions added on to a previous pledge class.

Does anyone have any advice??? Thank you!
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 08-08-2011, 07:46 AM
GreekChat Member

You only have to ask a question once on this site. It will seen by everyone regardless of what category you used. But on the other hand, this is a great post, so bumping it to the top is cool.
Old 08-08-2011, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml2314 View Post
Hi Y'all,

I have a bit of an unique situation and would love some advice. While in high school I participated in a program that allowed me to earn college credits while in high school and graduated with one year completed. After.. graduating I went to college for a year and had to take a break last year due to complicated famly issues. Now, I have transferred universities and would love to pledge a sorority.

This is really my sophomore year of college considering the time I had to take off. However, I have roughly 53 credits because of the classes I took while in high school. Should I consider myself a sophomore with my 53 credits or consider myself a junior? I am asking because I know not rushing my freshman is going to severely hurt my chances of getting a bid. Rush at my school is very competitive. Also, I have heard that being a junior would actually help me out as they do not count as part of the quota but rather are just extra additions added on to a previous pledge class.

Does anyone have any advice??? Thank you!
The junior thing you're speaking of is called upperclassman quota.

That's also not how it works. You're correct in that juniors don't count against quota, but it's not an "automatic in" kind of thing. There's also a limit to the number of juniors one can take with it.

A chapter can choose to utilize it. It certainly doesn't have to.

Lakers Nation.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

So since recruitment is coming up VERY soon, I have been reading a bunch of GC threads and recruitment stories, even now in the early hours of morning! Some of the stories use the phrase "rushing hard", as in, "this house was really rushing her pretty hard". I don't really understand what that means. I tried searching for this, but 'rushing' and 'hard' appear a LOT in GC! LOL. If you could help me out that would be wonderful!! I hope you all are having a wonderful night/morning! Thanks a bunch!
Old 08-20-2011, 04:41 AM
GreekChat Member

Usually when a girl is in the midst of a conversation at a rush party, it's just a conversation. But sometimes they will press very hard for either information as to your interest in them, or in trying to convince you that they're for you. Sometimes the rushee won't even notice they're pushing, sometimes she'll know and will be pleased at their extra interest, sometimes it's creepy and you just want outta there, and sometimes it's breaking rules.

They might bump several girls onto you so that the most possible girls meet you and you will hopefully make the "connection" with the right girl that will bring you back. Or they might single you out with the one girl who they think will be your perfect match and have her sell you on how awesome the house is.

If it's done well you should not notice, but feel a warm fuzzy walking out of there. If it's done poorly you can feel like you just got assaulted.

This is the sort of thing you don't need to worry about. Go in, try to make friends, not win points, not try to count how many members the other rushees are talking to, not listen in on other people's conversations to see if they're having a more intense conversation than you. You can torpedo your experience by focusing too much on all that crap. There is no sign that you are in/not in/loved/hated. Meeting the president doesn't necessarily mean anything. Being first, 10th or last in line doesn't mean anything.

Get some sleep! Get plenty of fluids, turn off the chatter in your head and from others, and just have a good time.
Old 08-21-2011, 12:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Thanks so much! That was everything I wanted in an answer and more! In other words, the perfect answer. Good advice, too!
Old 10-11-2011, 06:10 PM
GreekChat Member

Please make T_witter private as well. It is just as easy to look up a PNM there as it is on FBook. Tweeting about how drunk you get on gameday is just as bad as posting pictures of it.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 01-17-2012, 01:19 PM
GreekChat Member

Something to add about ICS/Recruitment Registration information:

1. Fill out the WHOLE profile. Your name and picture does not provide accurate info.
2. About your picture, if you are going to include one, make it of yourself without other people in it. In normal clothes - not your prom picture, not in your halloween costume, not in super hootchy going out clothes, not in your pjs. If you don't have one, have your friend take a picture of you somewhere nice on campus. Also, along the line of pictures: do not include alcohol (I can't believe I actually had to write that!). Your HS portrait is fine to use.
3. Do not provide an artsy picture of just your eye or some other part of your face.
3. Don't lie about your GPA on the application. The school provides your real GPA. Saying you have a 3.9 and really having a 2.8 is a big deal.
Old 01-17-2012, 02:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
Something to add about ICS/Recruitment Registration information:

1. Fill out the WHOLE profile. Your name and picture does not provide accurate info.
However, most of the mavens around here suggest you leave off any legacy affiliations.
Old 01-17-2012, 03:40 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaBetaBaby View Post
However, most of the mavens around here suggest you leave off any legacy affiliations.
I'm not talking about legacy affiliations. I believe that is up to the individual PNM to decide if they want to list them. I'm talking about the registration form itself- Where it asks you what your hometown is, any clubs or activities you belong to in both college and HS, any interests, extracurriculars or hobbies.
Old 01-17-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaggieXi View Post
3. Don't lie about your GPA on the application. The school provides your real GPA. Saying you have a 3.9 and really having a 2.8 is a big deal.
YES.

This has been my biggest ICS issue when helping out with different chapter's recruitments. I don't know if they don't think it gets checked or what, but I see a lot of PNMs giving their GPA a friendly round up on the form.

Ex: Suzie's form says 3.0, when she actually has a 2.85.

With GPAs, there is no "rounding up." And we will find out anyway. It doesn't make you look smarter. It just makes you look like a liar and might get you cut even if you DO make that chapter's GPA requirement, just for lying about it.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-15-2012, 01:36 AM
GreekChat Member

bump as it seems to be missing off the first Sorority Recruitment page for some reason.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Bumping as well since it doesn't seem to be stickied anymore.
Old 07-16-2012, 01:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I also wish this were still stickied. Not only that, I wish that it could be stickied at the very top of all the stickies.

There are lots of interesting and helpful threads that are stickied in this forum, however, what adpiucf did here is absolutely tremendous.

Please reconsider.
Old 07-16-2012, 03:32 PM
Super Moderator

Good stuff.