GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,218
1 members and 2,217 guests
indygphib

Old 02-17-2008, 06:47 PM
GreekChat Member

Ideas for Alumni Involvement in a small yet National org

I just wanted to get some feedback from some others about ways to be involved as an Alumni member. I am a member of Sigma Alpha Omega christian Sorority, ps if any of my sorors are around pm me. The organization is really small and I still would love to be involved but we do not have an avenue set up. So do you have any ideas on ways to create an alumni system like most older sororities. How exactly did you go about doing it with the members all spread out all over the place? Thanks in advance.....
Old 02-17-2008, 08:25 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: location, location... isn't that what it's all about?
Quote:
Originally Posted by titan257 View Post
I just wanted to get some feedback from some others about ways to be involved as an Alumni member. I am a member of Sigma Alpha Omega christian Sorority, ps if any of my sorors are around pm me. The organization is really small and I still would love to be involved but we do not have an avenue set up. So do you have any ideas on ways to create an alumni system like most older sororities. How exactly did you go about doing it with the members all spread out all over the place? Thanks in advance.....
Start with a yahoo group? It would at least connect you all electronically.
Old 02-17-2008, 08:33 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I'm assuming that your org doesn't have any alumni associations. You may want to discuss the feasibility of starting one in an area where there is a large concentration of sisters.

And co-sign on nittanyalum's comment. Your first step would probably need to be establishing some kind of communication system so that you all can keep in touch and discuss ideas for your organization.

Old 02-17-2008, 08:53 PM
GreekChat Member

We actually have a group set up, but there are not very many members in the yahoo group. I have been posting a couple ideas about finding an area with a large concentration of sisters. I just wondered if you guys would have any other ideas that would be a little different, but thanks for the advice
Old 02-17-2008, 08:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Do you all have a national philanthropy? If not, that's another way to stay involved as an alum.

ETA:

Just re-read this part:
Quote:
I just wondered if you guys would have any other ideas that would be a little different
Since we're not sure what you all already have in place, we can't be sure what's "different." Besides what you've already mentioned, what other ideas do your alums have (so we don't give repeat info)?

Last edited by knight_shadow; 02-17-2008 at 09:04 PM.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:23 PM
GreekChat Member

We dont have any, I know that I recently mentioned today about trying to get a chapter started for alumni members. I also mentioned having retreats for alumni to get together since there isnt a formal network set up. But thats it. We do have a national philanthropy so I will think about that a little more and see what I can think of from that POV. I really want to be involved in my sorority after I graduate so Im trying to think outside ofthe box and bring in some new ideas you know.
Old 02-17-2008, 09:39 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
We dont have any, I know that I recently mentioned today about trying to get a chapter started for alumni members. I also mentioned having retreats for alumni to get together since there isnt a formal network set up. But thats it. We do have a national philanthropy so I will think about that a little more and see what I can think of from that POV. I really want to be involved in my sorority after I graduate so Im trying to think outside ofthe box and bring in some new ideas you know.
Ok, I see. I think the retreats are a good idea, but will only work if your alums live relatively close. Does your organization have national or regional conventions? If so, ask the coordinator(s) to add an "alumni meeting" so you all can hammer out ideas.

One idea for philanthropy: Say, for example, your philanthropy is Relay for Life. You can set up a team and send a message out to your sisters to get them to donate and participate.

You (or the chapter) could also try to set up a monthly/semi-annual/etc barbecue or cookout. Host it around the same time (ex. first Friday of each month) and be sure to let everyone know they're invited to attend. My local alumni association does this, and no one EVER passes up a chance for free food LOL

Hope this helps...

Old 02-21-2008, 08:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to FirstAndFinest
I think originally alumnae associations formed to assist the collegiate chapters, so perhaps you can help them with a function, ceremony or philanthropic event. Invite alums to cheer on the school's team at Homecoming!

If there's not a chapter nearby, then maybe focus on the spritual/religious aspect of your sorority. Instead of an over-night kind of retreat, you could organize a sorta "mini-retreat". If you have a national advisor on this aspect, then maybe she can help you with the programming.

See if your nationals will give you any support as you try to form a new alumnae association, ranging from development ideas, to alumnae mailing lists, to help with postage.
Old 05-15-2008, 01:08 AM
GreekChat Member

You should concentrate your efforts in the areas near your active chapters, especially in nearby urban areas since that is where new graduates migrate hen they join the workforce. Establish some sort of new "welcome to the alumnae world" tradition with the targeted active chapter and set the expectation that they will join the local alumnae association as soon as they graduate. Within a couple of years, you should have a group of recent alumnae to form the core group, and you can build from there, inviting prior graduates to get involved.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:45 AM
GreekChat Member

*bump*

I see the OP periodically checks this -- any updates on your situation?