GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Recruitment > Sorority Recruitment

Sorority Recruitment Recruitment event and bid day ideas, membership retention, publicity, recruitment policies, etc.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,122
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, haledarkz870
» Online Users: 2,220
0 members and 2,220 guests
No Members online

Old 07-20-2015, 10:08 PM
GreekChat Member

Alabama Recruitment

As of this morning, 2333 have signed up for recruitment at Alabama.
Old 07-20-2015, 11:52 PM

^^^Oh man! Think about how many recruitment groups/Recruitment Counselors that requires.

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-21-2015, 12:12 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via Yahoo to AZ-AlphaXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by KSUViolet06 View Post
^^^Oh man! Think about how many recruitment groups/Recruitment Counselors that requires.
If you have 20 in a group -- that's 117 groups!

How many first round parties do the chapters have to hold?
Old 07-21-2015, 12:16 AM

According to the schedule, it looks like they have two days of Open House (which I am assuming is the first round.)

http://www.uapanhellenic.com/2014-fa...cruitment.html

(link says 2014, but the schedule actually IS Fall 2015.)

Lakers Nation.
Old 07-21-2015, 02:32 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post

26 first-round parties over 2 days (PNMs go to 16)
20 second-round parties over 2 days (PNMs go to max of 12 I think)
15 third-round parties over 2 days (PNMs go to max of 8 I think)
7 pref parties over 1 day (PNMs go to max of 3)

Although UA Panhellenic could adjust that and add a few more parties.

Last year a total of just under 2300 signed up.

Not sure, but I think there are more than 20 in a Rho Chi group. Each group has more than 1 Rho Chi.

Old 07-24-2015, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Something new this year:

• While chapter specific letters of recommendation are preferred, for women unable to find an alumna from each of the recognized sororities at UA to write a letter of rec, we have added a new option to the recruitment application. This year as part of the recruitment application, women participating in recruitment may elect to submit a generic, supplemental academic letter of recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor, or principal. The individual writing the letter of recommendation does not have been a member of Greek organization; however, the letter should speak to your character as it applies to leadership, scholarship, community service, and friendship. Please note that this is an optional feature and as such, is not a required part of the online application form.
  • Supplemental academic letters of recommendation can be uploaded directly to the PNMs online recruitment application in Innova Campus Director or they can be mailed to the Alabama Panhellenic Association at the address provided below.

Office of Fraternity and Sorority Life
Attn: Hannah Mancer
Director of Recruitment
The University of Alabama
Ferguson Center 2512
Box 870298
Tuscaloosa, Alabama 35487-0298
Old 07-24-2015, 02:27 PM
GreekChat Member

What was the Profile of the 2014 Sorority Recruitment Applicant Pool?

For fall 2014, a record 2,276 women registered for formal recruitment and 2,246 women participated in the first round of recruitment known as Open House. Of those women in the Open House Pool, 598 were from Alabama and 1,648 were from Out-of-State. Of the 2,246 women in the Open House Pool (191 women) did not complete the process, of which 94 withdrew, 80 were released and 17 participated in bid matching, but did NOT maximize their options. Of the 2,055 women receiving bids, 561 were from Alabama and 1,494 were from Out-of-State, for an overall Open House Pool Match rate of 91%. The National average for women receiving a bid during formal recruitment is 79% of the Open House Pool.

· Average Cumulative High School GPA: 3.65
· Average Cumulative College GPA: 3.18
· Average ACT Score: 28
· Average SAT Score: 1,672

Fall 2015 Greek Chic Recruitment Guide:
http://issuu.com/alabamapanhellenic/docs/ua_greek_chic_2015?e=0/13792812
Old 07-24-2015, 02:32 PM
Super Moderator

Trying to figure out how this letter is going to work since many NPCs do indeed require a recommendation written only by an alum of that sorority.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-AlphaXi View Post

You would probably have 5-7 groups per part if you have 20 in a group but my guess is they have more than 20 per group. Don't really know how Bama does it, but the universities I work with have more than that in each recruitment group.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
Trying to figure out how this letter is going to work since many NPCs do indeed require a recommendation written only by an alum of that sorority.
I have a feeling it'll be looked at as "oh, that's nice, but doesn't really do much" on the sorority side. With so many girls getting recs from actual alumnae, having one from a non-member probably wouldn't be especially beneficial. Recruitment isn't like college application, where the college makes admission decisions without necessarily meeting applicants and needs these letters to get a judge of one's personality and fit for the school.
Old 07-24-2015, 02:57 PM
GreekChat Member

The letters are supposed to help when a girl can't find recommendations for all the sororities.
But they're really useless.

Old 07-24-2015, 03:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartofsec View Post
Something new this year:

• While chapter specific letters of recommendation are preferred, for women unable to find an alumna from each of the recognized sororities at UA to write a letter of rec, we have added a new option to the recruitment application. This year as part of the recruitment application, women participating in recruitment may elect to submit a generic, supplemental academic letter of recommendation from a teacher, guidance counselor, or principal. The individual writing the letter of recommendation does not have been a member of Greek organization; however, the letter should speak to your character as it applies to leadership, scholarship, community service, and friendship. Please note that this is an optional feature and as such, is not a required part of the online application form.
  • Supplemental academic letters of recommendation can be uploaded directly to the PNMs online recruitment application in Innova Campus Director or they can be mailed to the Alabama Panhellenic Association at the address provided below.
What a COMPLETE waste of everyone's time. I think this gives false hope/ assumption to a PNM who thinks that this will work instead of an actual recommendation from a sorority alumna. Hopefully PNMs will understand that this is not an acceptable substitute.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnation View Post
I could see it being useful in VERY limited circumstances, where the PNM truly has exceptional circumstances that the sorority would want to know about in making a decision.

Ex. Patty PNM was a 4.0 student and then her twin sister suddenly died and she had a bad junior year and that's why her high school GPA is only a 3.0.

But unfortunately, every PNM will use it, the sororities won't have time to read/consider them, and it will be useless anyway.
Old 07-24-2015, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetalady View Post
What a COMPLETE waste of everyone's time. I think this gives false hope/ assumption to a PNM who thinks that this will work instead of an actual recommendation from a sorority alumna. Hopefully PNMs will understand that this is not an acceptable substitute.
If anything, it sounds like these letters will make things worse, not better for rushees who aren't as "hep" to the business of recs. "Oh yay! Idon't have to knock myself out finding recs in my small Rhode Island town! I can just do this instead!"
Old 07-24-2015, 03:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 33girl View Post
If anything, it sounds like these letters will make things worse, not better for rushees who aren't as "hep" to the business of recs. "Oh yay! Idon't have to knock myself out finding recs in my small Rhode Island town! I can just do this instead!"
YES!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^