GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,457
Threads: 115,512
Welcome to our newest member, ER_Pike
» Online Users: 2,689
1 members and 2,688 guests
Cookiez17

Old 02-02-2003, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Re: contacting local groups

Local contacts are just for this purpose. The women we've initiated as alums came to us just this way, not from contact to our national organization. We invite them to our activities to see if it's a good fit on both sides and then give her a mentor to help her thru the process.

Now I understand the multiple problem. But if you find a group you're really interested in, you should contact the local group to find out if the interest is mutual. If it doesn't work out, THEN check out the next one.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 02-22-2003, 06:36 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

Inca, keep us posted and the Very Best Of Luck tonight!

Just be cool and enjoy the event and meeting people! I am sure that they will not bite, hell many times they are just as worried about meeting someone new themselves.

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 02-22-2003, 09:41 PM

Talking

Quote:
Originally posted by Inca
Tonight is the event with GHI's local alumnae. I'm going to be leaving in about an hour....
Oooh! How exciting! Good Luck and let us know what happens and how it went!
Old 02-24-2003, 02:32 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to breathesgelatin Send a message via AIM to breathesgelatin Send a message via MSN to breathesgelatin Send a message via Yahoo to breathesgelatin
Talking

GOOD LUCK!!! Glad everything went so well!
Old 04-08-2003, 04:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Since all NPC groups are college based, it seems that it would be very unusual for someone to want to join as an alumna; however, after reading these posts, I guess it isn't. Speaking for my own sorority, the only reason we would consider alumnae initiation would be as an honor (a mother, a housemother, a political person, etc.) or if we needed an adviser and the individual was willing to serve the sorority in that capacity. We do have an honor initiate at each national convention and she is usally a prominent person. Of course, the individual would have to be highly recommended by a member(s). I believe that one requirement is that she have a college degree, but I am not positive of that.

I have also been involved in a conversation in an alumnae Panhellenic meeting when an individual who had contacted several member groups was discussed. It was generally decided that she was trying to stir up trouble and none of the groups were interested in her. After comparing notes, it became apparent that she was moving through the groups in alphabetical order.

With all of the other organizations open to women, why would anyone want to join a group that has as its basis collegiate membership? I guess I just don't understand.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:07 PM
GreekChat Member

Lightbulb

Nhfulmer, maybe for a myrid of reasons they could not join as an undergraduate member, but still wanted to attain that feeling with a certain Org. that they became friends with and beleived in!

Check the Alumni Thread.

Manytimes, those AI members become very improtant parts of their respective Group, Frat./Soro! Some have even become National Officers.

One never knows for what reason, but they do want to be there.

If ones nose gets to high in the air, they catch a cold and the nose runs, ooooh snotty nose!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-08-2003, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nhfulmer
With all of the other organizations open to women, why would anyone want to join a group that has as its basis collegiate membership? I guess I just don't understand.
I'm an alumna initiate and I was part of a colony that did not come to fruition in college (this university had no Greek system to speak of, other than 1 men's fraternity). Then I switched universities after having a death in my family. As that university did have a Greek systerm, and I was craving friendship and support, I went through Rush. Unfortunately for me, since I'd had a death in my immediate family, suffice it to say that I did not make the "perkiest" rushee. Since I knew a lot about Delta Gamma already, but I had not yet been initiated, I suppose it always felt like "unfinished business" to me. Enter my 30s and I found that this desire to be initiated did not go away. I also wanted to join for the friendships and networking, which I try to make the most of. I expressed this desire to the Delta Gammas that I had met all those years before, and I am pleased to say that 2 Former National Presidents and a National Vice-President were my sponsors.

I now have DG friends in different parts of North America and even in Australia. I am so happy about this and I am devoted to my Fraternity; I pay my dues, support the collegiate chapter during Recruitment and in other ways, such as Founders Day. We don't have the same degree of "involvement" as I imagine that you have in "The South"...we don't have a City Sponsorship Chair or anything like that. However, we love our Delta Gamma deeply and try to ensure her longevity all the same!

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-08-2003 at 05:34 PM.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:36 PM
GreekChat Member

>>>With all of the other organizations open to women, why would anyone want to join a group that has as its basis collegiate membership<<<

I am not an alumna initiate, but I have to reply to the above. I believe that many sororities are like mine (particularly if they are NPC sororities). While we certainly have our beginning in collegiate membership, there is no ending. I was never told or led to believe that AOII was only a "college thing". On the contrary, I have been reminded for my whole membership (28 years) that it is "for always". An alum initate will not have the same experience with her sorority as one who is initiated as a collegiate with the whole collegiate experience. But she will benefit from, and contribute to, her sorority in ways that are equally as important.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:45 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to know... Nhfulmer???

Of which NPC group are you a member?
Old 04-08-2003, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

I just did a search by username and I believe the answer to my question is Zeta Tau Alpha.
Old 04-08-2003, 05:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by houstonchica
I just did a search by username and I believe the answer to my question is Zeta Tau Alpha.
Yes, I think you are right, given that she has posted in the ZTA forum and stated that "the best Zeta times have been as an alumna".....

As for Zeta's approach to alumnae initiation, here is an excerpt from My Advice to Prospective Alumnae Initiates

"A ZTA alumnae may recommend outstanding women from their communities for membership in ZTA. A four year period must have elapsed between the time she left college and the time she would be initiated. The unanimous vote of National Council is required. It is desirable the woman has attended an institute of higher learning, although not required to be a graduate. She should bring to the membership the attributes hoped for in each new member. Approval of the recommendation is not automatic. If you are interested in becoming an alumnae initiate, it is important to show sincere interest in our organization. Alumnae who do recommend women to become alumna initiates usually do so because the unaffiliated woman becomes involved with a collegiate or alumnae chapter, supports our programs, reflects our values and demonstrated a commitment to lifelong membership. There is a definite relationship formed with the members of ZTA prior to becoming recommended for membership. Women do not generally "seek out" becoming an alumna initiate. It usually happens because the collegiate or alumnae members feel the woman would be an asset to our organization. If you are interested in sorority membership and have no special group attachment, perhaps there are other groups whose programs operates differently than ZTAs. But, if you do have an ongoing relationship with ZTA, you can inform the members that you are interested in becoming an alumna initiate. Again, there are no guarantees they will start the process or that National Council will approve the recommendation. ZTA typically approves under ten women a year for this honor."

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-08-2003 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:07 PM
GreekChat Member

I'm not trying to imply anything by pointing out that Nhfulmer is a member of ZTA. Please, no one send me any nasty mail!

As an alumna initiate, I am insulted by the post. I thought she could have at least let us know the name of the group behind her opinion. I'm afraid we may have a huge can of worms opening up at this moment! There are many proud and vocal alumna initiates on GC.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:19 PM

houstonchica,

When it comes to NPC alumnae women who "pooh pooh" the idea of alumnae initiates, I don't think it really matters which NPC someone belongs to.

I know of Alumnae Initiates who have encountered Delta Gamma alumnae who pooh-pooh'd the idea of alumnae initiation.
(I'm happy to say that they still were initiated! )
Cele has also told me of encountering Gamma Phi Beta alumnae who pooh-pooh'd the idea.

So, I don't think it's really anything to do with any particular organization. I do suspect that this could be regional...I think Southern women could be difficult to win over (although you did it, as did volgirl)

That being said, we have enough alumnae initiates on this board who can vouch that some NPCs are quite open-minded to the idea, while others discourage women from "seeking them out" and inform them that individuals may not approach the chapters or associations and request that they be proposed for membership. (for the reason that this puts the chapter or association in the awkward position of having to refuse someone if they do not wish to sponsor them.)

Hopefully these groups will one day realize what terrific women they are missing out on!

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-08-2003 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-08-2003, 06:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I agree with you 100%

However, it's too easy to be insulting under the guise of a username. I don't think I'm the only one on here who feels the same. Very few posters do not identify their affiliation.

Last edited by houstonchica; 04-08-2003 at 06:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:00 PM
GreekChat Member

Well, like it says on the tshirt

If we had to explain it you probably wouldn't understand....

I should add that DG only initiates about a dozen women a year, not truck loads. If the poster is insinuating that somehow those alumnae groups which do AI are any less particular about their members as collegiate groups are about theirs, she is VERY wrong.

Last edited by DGMarie; 04-08-2003 at 10:19 PM.