GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,430
3 members and 1,427 guests
Cookiez17, g41965, JayhawkAOII

Old 02-22-2004, 12:03 AM
GreekChat Member

NPC Representation at Ivy League School

As athletic conferences go, it's on the smallish side, and NPC representation at the schools in the Ivy League is not especially large, either. Some of that may be due to 1) the relatively recent admission of women to some of the schools, and 2) the unfavorable attiude of some school administrations. Anyway:

Total NPC chapters in Ivy League schools: 37, PLUS two colonizations in progress (Alpha Xi Delta at Cornell and Phi Sigma Sigma at the U. of Pennsylvania).

11 - Cornell (PLUS see above)

7- U. of Pennsylvania (PLUS see above)

4 each - Columbia and Princeton

3 each - Dartmouth, Harvard, and Yale

2 - Brown

As to the NPC groups' chapters (not counting the colonizations):

At 7 of the 8 schools - Kappa Alpha Theta

At 5 - Kappa Kappa Gamma

At 4 - Alpha Chi Omega and Delta Delta Delta

At 3 - Delta Gamma, Pi Beta Phi and Sigma Delta Tau

At 2 - Alpha Phi

At one - Alpha Epsilon Phi, Alpha Omicron Pi, Alpha Xi Delta, Chi Omega, Kappa Delta, and Sigma Kappa.

And that's it as far as I can find out. ___________________

Last edited by exlurker; 02-22-2004 at 12:10 AM.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Isn't Theta at all 8?
Old 02-22-2004, 01:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by russellwarshay
Isn't Theta at all 8?
Hate to say the Theta chapter at Dartmouth closed in 1992
Old 02-22-2004, 01:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Isn't Theta at all 8?
Our chapter at Dartmouth (Epsilon Kappa) was closed in 1992.

I'm a proud alumna of our Epsilon Mu chapter at P'ton. I agree that Ivy League football isn't fun to watch, but basketball can be and lacrosse is usually top-notch.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:30 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via AIM to PhiPsiRuss Send a message via Yahoo to PhiPsiRuss
Quote:
Originally posted by thetalady
Hate to say the Theta chapter at Dartmouth closed in 1992
Dartmouth has the most screwed up greek system in the country. Our chapter their closed in 1967, and even though it produced several members of congress, we have no desire to return until they reform it.
Old 02-22-2004, 01:32 AM
GreekChat Member

thetalady is right. The local Epsilon Kappa Theta, started in 1992, traces its history back to the now-closed Theta chapter at Dartmouth ----

http://www.dartmouth.edu/~panhell/theta.html
Old 02-22-2004, 02:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to queequek
Might be related
http://forums.greekchat.com/gcforums...ghlight=league
Old 02-24-2004, 07:27 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Janerz222
I agree that Ivy League football isn't fun to watch, but basketball can be and lacrosse is usually top-notch.
Don't forget crew! My freshman year, we were the NCAA Division I champs. The men won the year after, I think. I was a coxswain back in the day.

Some of the Ivies had coordinate colleges for women that had sororities. Barnard--the women's college affiliated with Columbia--was the Alpha Chapter of AOPi. When the schools merged or were absorbed by the men's colleges, the chapters usually closed. Also, keep in mind the time during which many of these schools merged, and the general liberal mindset at most.
Old 02-24-2004, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
Some of the Ivies had coordinate colleges for women that had sororities. Barnard--the women's college affiliated with Columbia--was the Alpha Chapter of AOPi.
The Alpha chapter of AEPhi was also at Barnard. My understanding is that it was Barnard's administration that got rid of the greek system, rather than the sororities closing as a result of the merger with Columbia.
Old 02-24-2004, 10:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aephi alum
The Alpha chapter of AEPhi was also at Barnard. My understanding is that it was Barnard's administration that got rid of the greek system, rather than the sororities closing as a result of the merger with Columbia.
Barnard's sororities closed before 1983, when the merger was established. I think it may have been some time in the 1960s? When I used that example, I was speaking of my own alma mater. Perhaps I should clarify it.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:04 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
Barnard's sororities closed before 1983, when the merger was established. I think it may have been some time in the 1960s? When I used that example, I was speaking of my own alma mater. Perhaps I should clarify it.
According to Baird's, all Barnard sororities closed by 1922. Barnard is part of Columbia University, and Barnard students, as Munchkin03 knows, who want to join a sorority, go through Columbia University (not Columbia College, the undergraduate division distinct from Barnard) NPC rush. My understanding is that most of the 4 chapters are about 50% Barnard.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:01 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to Peaches-n-Cream
Quote:
Originally posted by russellwarshay
According to Baird's, all Barnard sororities closed by 1922. Barnard is part of Columbia University, and Barnard students, as Munchkin03 knows, who want to join a sorority, go through Columbia University (not Columbia College, the undergraduate division distinct from Barnard) NPC rush. My understanding is that most of the 4 chapters are about 50% Barnard.
I always wondered why DPhiE's Beta chapter at Barnard closed only two years after it was founded in 1920. That explains it.