GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,750
0 members and 1,750 guests
No Members online

Old 07-25-2003, 09:24 AM
GreekChat Member

I always thought it was funny how the "Tiffany and Co." tag jewelry--by far the most ostentatious jewelry in the entire store--was also the cheapest. People get played all the time and don't even realize it.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 07-25-2003, 10:57 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ShaedyKD
I'm not an expert by any means, but my best friend who is a big fan has told me that on the brown monogram bags, the LV monogram will never be cut. Like it will never be on the corner of the bag so they have to cut the monogram in order to sew it together. Of course, she doesn't have a real one either so she may not know what she's talking about!
This is true on monogrammed items.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:14 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Honestly why pretend you're something you're not?

I respect girls who don't wear fake purses, cheap items from tiffany with the tags, and don't call their 3 class BMW the "Bimmer".

-Rudey
I agree. Having an LV doesn't make you a better person, so unless you can afford the real thing why bother? I think fakes are tacky.

Another thing about real LV monogram handbags -- the leather strap gets darker over time, and fake ones don't. I can spot most fakes a mile away. My favorite lately are the fake Coach logo shoes and handbags where the C almost looks like a G. It's like the people couldn't tell if they wanted fake Coach or Gucci, so they compromised.

It can also be easy to spot fake Kate Spades. There is a website somewhere (I will post if I can find it again) that shows patterns that are always fake, and there are tons of them -- if your Kate Spade has people (I think there's one exception) or fruit it is fake -- stuff like that. It's an interesting site, so I'll look for it. It's also pretty easy to tell from the lettering on the "Kate Spade New York" label and stitching.

Last edited by valkyrie; 07-25-2003 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:20 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to mu_agd
Quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie
My favorite lately are the fake Coach logo shoes and handbags where the C almost looks like a G. It's like the people couldn't tell if they wanted fake Coach or Gucci, so they compromised.
i feel bad, but i have to laugh at the people that buy the fake coach ones. they are so easy to tell that they are fake, since they do look like a G.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:21 AM

Quote:
IMy favorite lately are the fake Coach logo shoes and handbags where the C almost looks like a G. It's like the people couldn't tell if they wanted fake Coach or Gucci, so they compromised.

Actually, Gucci did come out with their own signature bag with G's on it which is similar to the Coach signature with the C's. I think Gucci had the original concept so the bags with the G's are somewhat older. Can someone correct me if I'm wrong?
Old 07-25-2003, 11:50 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
I agree. Having an LV doesn't make you a better person, so unless you can afford the real thing why bother? I think fakes are tacky.

Another thing about real LV monogram handbags -- the leather strap gets darker over time, and fake ones don't. I can spot most fakes a mile away. My favorite lately are the fake Coach logo shoes and handbags where the C almost looks like a G. It's like the people couldn't tell if they wanted fake Coach or Gucci, so they compromised.

It can also be easy to spot fake Kate Spades. There is a website somewhere (I will post if I can find it again) that shows patterns that are always fake, and there are tons of them -- if your Kate Spade has people (I think there's one exception) or fruit it is fake -- stuff like that. It's an interesting site, so I'll look for it. It's also pretty easy to tell from the lettering on the "Kate Spade New York" label and stitching.
www.ihatecounterfeitbags.info. That's the KS authentication site, which was a great tool for me.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steeltrap
www.ihatecounterfeitbags.info. That's the KS authentication site, which was a great tool for me.
Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!! That's it!
Old 07-25-2003, 12:02 PM
GreekChat Member

I went on a retreat this past weekend, and a girl there had LV luggage.....it was very, very pretty!

On another note, wow! When I see a girl carrying a fake handbag, it really shakes up my world
Old 07-25-2003, 12:03 PM
GreekChat Member

that site is pretty hilarious, people try to pass of some heinously UGLY bags that look like they have cheap wal-mart fabric on them as Kate Spades!! although I did think the one fake ribbon tie bag was kinda cute.

edited to add: I buy all my bags from TJ Maxx, so I don't know much about what's authentic or not.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
My favorite lately are the fake Coach logo shoes and handbags where the C almost looks like a G. It's like the people couldn't tell if they wanted fake Coach or Gucci, so they compromised.

Oh, they're TERRIBLE! I wonder who they think they're fooling!

I've never bought a fake bag, but I see them all over the place. Some imitations are better than others, but all are still pretty cheesy.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:16 PM
GreekChat Member

Location: Free and nearly 53 in San Diego and Lake Forest, CA
Send a message via AIM to Steeltrap Send a message via Yahoo to Steeltrap
Quote:
Thankyouthankyouthankyou!!! That's it!
You're welcome. And here are a couple of Hermes sites. Not that any of us are rolling in Hermes caiche, but still, if that Birkin on eBay is cheap, it's prolly too good to be true:

http://www.geocities.com/nepherisis/fakehermes1.html
http://www.geocities.com/nepherisis/realhermes.html
Old 07-25-2003, 12:21 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Munchkin03
I always thought it was funny how the "Tiffany and Co." tag jewelry--by far the most ostentatious jewelry in the entire store--was also the cheapest. People get played all the time and don't even realize it.
About a two years ago, those Tiffany and Co. necklaces and bracelets were a sorority girl staple here on campus. Every girl had them.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:24 PM
GreekChat Member

Go to www.mypoupette.com It's website on fake Louis Vuitton purses.

But to be honest, usually when a deal is too good to be true, it usually is. That bucket style that you're looking at retails for around $540. I can't tell because LV keeps raising their prices.

Also, I own an authentic Murakami LV Bag. I have the Cherry Blossom Papillon, and I got mine in March. I guess I got on the waiting list early. The fakes are rampant here in DC though.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:45 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Rudey
Honestly why pretend you're something you're not?

I respect girls who don't wear fake purses, cheap items from tiffany with the tags, and don't call their 3 class BMW the "Bimmer".

-Rudey
OK, so I'm with you on the first two, but why can't the 3-class be a Bimmer? It's not fake...
Old 07-25-2003, 02:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via ICQ to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via AIM to AchtungBaby80 Send a message via Yahoo to AchtungBaby80
Quote:
Originally posted by juniorgrrl
I saw a girl carrying a LV "Murakami" (the multicolored ones) the other day. I had to laugh because I'm 99.9999% sure its a fake. Even Oprah can't get one of those bags!
Hey, don't make fun--I have one of those! My cousin picked it up for me in New York. I really like it--it matches everything! I'm glad to tell people it's fake, though...I'd rather they think I like fake handbags than have them think I'd drop $500+ on a damn purse.