GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Greek Life

Greek Life This forum is for various discussion topics regarding greek life. If you are posting a non-greek related message, please do so in one of the General Chat Topic forums.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,040
Threads: 115,496
Welcome to our newest member, ausinpetrov7195
» Online Users: 1,431
1 members and 1,430 guests
Cookiez17

Old 06-16-2015, 05:01 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just interested View Post
Ag Sis. I am President of a House Corp at A&M. It is my understanding from our chapter Panhellenic adviser that the discussion of expansion will be on the agenda for this Fall.
The girls have been told to prepare for a pledge class of 110.
Again, this is not "carved in stone" but the sources are valid. I know they tabled expansion discussion late this Spring for the Fall semester.
Thanks for the info! Do you know when the new chapter would begin recruiting? Too late for me, but I'm just curious . Also because you're president of the house corp, do you know what plans are on the table for bigger PCs in terms of expanding and renovating the houses, making chapter rooms bigger, adding more beds, etc.?
Old 06-16-2015, 09:36 PM
GreekChat Member

No clue about a time frame. This is all in the talking stages from what I understand. For House Corporations it is always feast or famine and every HC knows they have to be prepared for the famine. I know in the last 5 years or so 4 groups have added on square footage and of course Zeta has a beautiful new House. I may be wrong but I don't believe any of the square footage was for adding beds but for adding to common areas. It is my understanding and I am giving a general range that each House at A&M sleeps between 40 and 50 girls. I know my HC has been in discussion about meeting space if we have 300+ members and while it is on our wish list we are maintaining a wait and see regarding adding on to our House.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to DeltaBetaBaby
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag_Sis View Post
Thanks for the info! Do you know when the new chapter would begin recruiting? Too late for me, but I'm just curious . Also because you're president of the house corp, do you know what plans are on the table for bigger PCs in terms of expanding and renovating the houses, making chapter rooms bigger, adding more beds, etc.?
The thing is, nobody wants to add on and then, in five years, find themselves with beds they can't fill. Sometime there are additions, but sometimes the short-term solutions are to allow more live-outs, stagger dinner times, etc.

(Note: I know nothing about A&M, I'm just talking generally)
Old 06-21-2015, 08:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigmagirl2000 View Post
I hadn't heard anything about a UMass colonization at all. Which is bizarre, considering I advise there and work on the national recruitment team. Congrats to Sigma Sigma Sigma for returning in 2016. Is there word on if they'll have a house? Recruitment numbers haven't really grown at UMass over the last few years, so I'll be interested to see how this plays out. I think Sigma Sigma Sigma was only on campus for a very few years in the 90s (I heard they came on in 1996, but my chapter sisters who initiated around 1998 said Sigma Sigma Sigma wasn't there when they went through rectuitment...), so I'm hoping it'll work out better this time. Since DZ left in around 2005 I was hoping they'd bring an 8th chapter back to campus!
Tri Sig had been at UMass for quite a long time when our chapter moved into their old house (most recently SigEp) in 1978. They continued until at least 1985.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:23 AM
GreekChat Member

I just stumbled across this on the Sacramento Alumnae Panhellenic Facebook page:
Phi Mu Fraternity will join Sacramento State in spring, 2016.
It's here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Sacra...62162307131531
Info was posted May 8 but I did not find anything about it in this thread.

ETA: Whoops! Info HAS been posted here. I didn't realize the official name of the school is "California State University - Sacramento."

Last edited by AnchorAlumna; 06-22-2015 at 10:26 AM.
Old 06-22-2015, 10:28 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorAlumna View Post
ETA: Whoops! Info HAS been posted here. I didn't realize the official name of the school is "California State University - Sacramento."
You're showing your age
"One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid, and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision." Bertrand Russell, The Triumph of Stupidity
Old 06-23-2015, 02:13 PM
Banned

Is a chapter house essential for a fraternity/sorority to be successful? There seem to be a couple fraternities at the U of Vermont which don't have houses and they seem to be doing okay.
Old 06-23-2015, 03:31 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcgmvt View Post
Is a chapter house essential for a fraternity/sorority to be successful? There seem to be a couple fraternities at the U of Vermont which don't have houses and they seem to be doing okay.
This varies from campus to campus. Some places -- yes. Some places -- no.
Old 06-23-2015, 10:41 PM
GreekChat Member

^agreed. If everyone else has a beautiful, impressive structure, not having a house will hurt.
Old 06-24-2015, 10:40 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
This varies from campus to campus. Some places -- yes. Some places -- no.
For fraternities, a mix of housing options does not seem to matter. I think this is because the reduced cost can make up for some of it.

For sororities, comparable housing does seem to help all of the groups stay more even. If about half are housed and half not it is not as big of a deal, but generally, if some have big stunning houses, and maybe one or two do not, those two will always be seen as smaller. Even when one has a really different style of house, that can be a challenge during recruitment, because it is not what PNMs are expecting.

In a system with lodges or chapter rooms, if there is a dramatic difference in how they are appointed that can make some difference during rush. I guess it is not as nice if some chapters all meet in permanent rooms and your chapter meets in a student center or lecture hall.
Old 06-24-2015, 01:56 PM

Sigma Chi has closed the chapter at California State University-Sacramento. Closure is due to RMF.

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-30-2015, 10:02 AM

The University of Maryland has removed campus recognition for Delta Chi.

http://www.diamondbackonline.com/new...06b7bee82.html

I'll support the RedWolves, but in my heart I'll always be an ASU Indian. Go Tribe! (1931-2008)
Old 06-30-2015, 11:56 PM
GreekChat Member

Per Drexel's Panhellenic page, DG will be colonizing 2015-2016 (no specific time mentioned): https://www.facebook.com/drexelphc

YAY!
Old 07-01-2015, 08:27 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukedg View Post
Per Drexel's Panhellenic page, DG will be colonizing 2015-2016 (no specific time mentioned): https://www.facebook.com/drexelphc

YAY!
Ditto! We've been waiting for this announcement!
Old 07-01-2015, 02:02 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnchorSouth View Post
Ditto! We've been waiting for this announcement!
Just updating that per DG's facebook page, we will be colonizing at Drexel this fall!