GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,429
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, Zae_TheCreator
» Online Users: 2,225
1 members and 2,224 guests
Cookiez17

Old 12-20-2001, 05:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to GmuTeke
Poinsetta Rescue

Ok, so my office at GMU is getting ready to shut down for a week, and we're divying up the poinsettas that all the faculty have given as tokens of their esteem. So Jo-Ann takes one and Michelle takes one and Jo-Ann my head supervisor says "Well, we'll just throw this one away"...

Its the saddest little poinsetta that got banished to our language lab with no natural light. Remember the xmas tree in Charlie Brown? Thats this poinsetta.

So I'm a sucker for fragile things in need (gets me into all sorts of relationship issues, but anyways), and I wanna rescue the poor little thing and hopefully have it around till next Christmas as a harty full plant. Does anyone have any hints or tips on how to bring a plant back from the edge? Any help would be apreciated.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 12-20-2001, 05:55 PM
GreekChat Member

Question OK Tibi, Now I need help

Since youre our resident gardener....

I have a peace lilly that is freaking me out. The tips of all the leaves, even new buds are black, like they got toomuch sun (I know how sensative they are to sun) but it hasnt been exposed. Whats the problem, does it need a little light it says on my coffee table in my somewhat dark living room, and hasnt had a flower since I brought it home from the nursery.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Tibi
lol, I just do alot of intenet research and listen to my mommy! It sunds like a photosynthesis problem, most likely caused by a lack of sun. I'll ask my mom, but I think it wouldn't hurt if you gave it more light.
Tibi, I need some help too! Since, you're the plant expert I am sure I can use your advice on how to grow bigger and better blunts!

Last edited by curiouss; 12-20-2001 at 06:39 PM.
Old 12-20-2001, 06:36 PM
Banned

I heard that poinsettas can give you one of the best "highs" arounds. Hayley pass it over!
Old 12-20-2001, 06:44 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KABillyMac Send a message via Yahoo to KABillyMac
Awwww, its so adorable that you have a little teamate now shady.
Old 12-20-2001, 07:22 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to AngelPhiSig
Re: Poinsetta Rescue

Quote:
Originally posted by GmuTeke
So I'm a sucker for fragile things in need (gets me into all sorts of relationship issues, but anyways
I hear ya on this part!! Not even like plants, but old toys at garage sales... deformed stuffed animals... I feel sorry for them since no one wants them.... bah!
Old 12-20-2001, 11:37 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to KABillyMac Send a message via Yahoo to KABillyMac
Brook, cant we just tease her some more? Pleassssssssseeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Old 12-21-2001, 11:25 AM
GreekChat Member

Location: Where stately oaks and broad magnolias shade inspiring halls
Re: I'm not Tibi but...

These are my favorite plants.

From www.thegardenhelper.com/peacelily.htm

Most tropical house plants should be re potted every 2-3 years, to freshen and revitalize their soil. The tip burn could be caused by over feeding, or chlorine in the water. Peace lilies (Spathiphyllum) will grow and flourish in almost any well drained soil. Use a good commercial soil mix containing peat moss, bark and sand. They prefer bright filtered light, but will survive in low interior light. Peace lilies do best in a warm environment (68-85 degree daytime temperature) with a 10 degree nighttime drop. Keep them out of drafts, and never expose them to extended periods below 40 degrees. Feed your Peace lily every 2-3 months, using a diluted (half strength) well balanced liquid fertilizer such as 20-20-20. You can also use a pelleted timed release fertilizer with caution. Over fertilizing can produce burning of tips and roots. The soil should be kept moist but never soggy. Allow the soil to dry out slightly between waterings, but excessive drying can make the plant to wilt and cause yellowing of leaves. When watering it is very important to use room temperature water which has been allowed to sit for 24 hours to allow the chlorine to evaporate. It is a good idea to bottom water. Cleaning the leaves regularly with a damp cloth to remove dust will not only help the appearance but will also remove some pests which tend to gather on the underside of the leaves and help the plant to 'breathe'.

Me - Don't forget to remove yellowing leaves before they die from the base of the plant. Plants use energy in trying to sustain these dying leaves when there resouces could go into producing flowers and new leaves.

Quote:
Originally posted by lifesaver
Since youre our resident gardener....

I have a peace lilly that is freaking me out. The tips of all the leaves, even new buds are black, like they got toomuch sun (I know how sensative they are to sun) but it hasnt been exposed. Whats the problem, does it need a little light it says on my coffee table in my somewhat dark living room, and hasnt had a flower since I brought it home from the nursery.
Old 12-21-2001, 05:26 PM
GreekChat Member

Thumbs up

DAMN, that is what is wrong with me, I get potted all of the time!

My ex had a brown thumb, she even killed artificial ferns!

LX Z # 1
Alumni