GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > General Chat Topics > Chit Chat

Chit Chat The Chit Chat forum is for discussions that do not fit into the forum topics listed below.

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,417
Threads: 115,510
Welcome to our newest member, DemetraMau
» Online Users: 1,500
0 members and 1,500 guests
No Members online

Old 08-02-2012, 11:12 PM
GreekChat Member

^^^ Wait until she turns 18 and you get to play dress up for recruitment. Very fun. My daughter is milking it for all it's worth: "I need more dresses...and shoes...and..."

It literally seems like yesterday that I was shopping for Gymboree ensembles. I had a thing for those adorable matching socks. *Sigh*
Old 08-02-2012, 11:49 PM
GreekChat Member

Tomorrow I start new job number 1. Worried I will over sleep since I haven't had to be up this early in over 6 months. New job number 2 doesn't begin until Aug. 21.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:15 AM
GreekChat Member

I'm not sure how national this is, but due to some refinery issues, gas prices have suddenly gone up here. Just saw on the news that people were waiting in line for over an hour to get gas at a station that was still at $3.79 and hadn't gone up to $4 a gallon yet. Really, people...do the math. If you filled up with 15 gallons and you saved .20, you spent an hour burning gas just to save $3.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:10 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sciencewoman View Post
^^^ Wait until she turns 18 and you get to play dress up for recruitment. Very fun. My daughter is milking it for all it's worth: "I need more dresses...and shoes...and..."

It literally seems like yesterday that I was shopping for Gymboree ensembles. I had a thing for those adorable matching socks. *Sigh*
I'm going to be sad when my daughter outgrows Gymboree.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:54 AM
GreekChat Member

I am worried about fall semester, worried about getting married in December, worried about going back to work at both campus jobs, worried about being a good pledge educator, and worried about the rest of my spring/summer semester grades. So far, I have one C+. Two more grade submissions to go.

"To thine own self be true"
Old 08-03-2012, 03:46 AM
GreekChat Member

I hate it and I do mean HATE IT when I find out information like this. I was all tired and ready for bed, now I can't sleep at all. I already know the choice I need to make though--or else it wouldn't be this painful.

"My dreams have become letters." ~christiangirl
Old 08-03-2012, 12:08 PM
GreekChat Member

You know it's getting to the end of summer when you see recruitment/rush thread popping up. Also i'm not pleased I keep missing convention for drum corps. I'm going to not be involved in 2014 so I can go to at least one.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:13 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrPhil View Post
1. Oprah Winfrey looks gorgeous with her natural hair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
She is so beautiful! I like her look so much more with her natural hair.
Quote:
I agree.

That image comes from an interview in which she talked about her natural hair. She said she was walking down the street with her natural hair look and this man said "gosh, you look just like Oprah Winfrey." She said "I am Oprah Winfrey." He responded "YOU WISH!"

LOL.

http://thelook.today.msnbc.msn.com/_...ntroversy?lite

Then yesterday Gabby Douglas wore her hair somewhat natural when competing and today Serena Williams definitely has a much more natural ponytail going on than usual. Did I miss something? Like a call to wear natural hair? Don't get me wrong, I love it. I wish women (of any ethnic background) didn't feel the need to completely change their hair to fit an idea of beauty. I just find it strange that three women who are very much in the public eye right now are all showing their natural hair.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-03-2012, 02:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WCsweet<3 View Post
Then yesterday Gabby Douglas wore her hair somewhat natural when competing and today Serena Williams definitely has a much more natural ponytail going on than usual. Did I miss something? Like a call to wear natural hair? Don't get me wrong, I love it. I wish women (of any ethnic background) didn't feel the need to completely change their hair to fit an idea of beauty. I just find it strange that three women who are very much in the public eye right now are all showing their natural hair.
I could be wrong, but I assumed it was because of the sweat-factor (for the Olympians, at least). Gabby and Serena are moving around and sweating so much that any work they put into their hair would likely be in vain. They're probably not snubbing an "idea of beauty" so much as they're simply acquiescing to the reality of the nature of sweat.
Old 08-03-2012, 02:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Double posting, I know...

My department had a get-together recently to reconnect, welcome new faculty, plan the upcoming academic year, etc... As part of the festivities, the host had a spelling bee (yes, we're nerds). One of the words was camaraderie. The first person to attempt to spell it said, "c o m r a d e r y". He was quickly dismissed from the bee. Today, he sent us all an email that included a link to acceptable alternate spellings of various words. Sure enough, according to his link, his spelling would be considered correct.

What's going on here? I'm not a fan of "alternate spellings".
Old 08-03-2012, 04:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
I do not know whether those women are sporting their no-relaxer hair. They may already be no-relaxer, they may be transitioning, or they may have relaxers. It is difficult to judge based on hairstyle since there are different hair textures and different hair styles with and without relaxers. Also, when some people say "natural hair," they are talking about weave-less or unstyled rather than no relaxer.

Other than that, perhaps you did miss something. Those celebs are doing what more and more women in their 20s-40s have been doing in the past 5-10 years. Many older women have either always been without a relaxer or became without a relaxer in the 1960s-1980s.

If you have not already done so, check out http://www.curlynikki.com/ . She and other natural hair sites interview "curly celebs" (natural hair celebrities).

People are so damn stupid. She had a pony-tail. A pony-tail. Pony-tails can look different with different hair textures and so forth, but who gives a damn.

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/gy...problem-080312

That is a good point about the differences in definition of "natural" hair. I really don't know much about relaxers or how relax hair looks as opposed to unrelaxed hair. I also really like that website you linked. Thank you for that!

Here is a picture of Serena in her last match against Azarenka just for reference.

"Sisterhood is not about being popular, its about developing character, forming bonds, and self-discovery. If after four years you can hold you head high, then absolutely your sorority is "tops"." - H2oot
Old 08-03-2012, 05:29 PM
GreekChat Member

So I found out today I might not be able to finish my studies because of a new requirement applied to student aid.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:35 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
People are so damn stupid. She had a pony-tail. A pony-tail. Pony-tails can look different with different hair textures and so forth, but who gives a damn.

http://msn.foxsports.com/olympics/gy...problem-080312
Thanks for the link.
Old 08-03-2012, 05:43 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psi U MC Vito View Post
So I found out today I might not be able to finish my studies because of a new requirement applied to student aid.
Yikes! Sorry!!
Old 08-03-2012, 05:54 PM
GreekChat Member

I don't think I've ever been worked like that. It was busy today. Plus, one of my LVTs called off. I am so glad to be home, waiting for dinner, relaxed, and ready to enjoy the weekend.
Trump For Prison 2024-2084 MAGA!