GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > Alumni Involvement
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,456
Threads: 115,511
Welcome to our newest member, zatylerahvso465
» Online Users: 2,415
0 members and 2,415 guests
No Members online

Old 04-09-2003, 01:34 PM

Some groups don't want a prospective AI to seek them out if that woman does not already have a prior connection to them, and some don't mind; however those groups will still "vet" that prospective AI thoroughly before extending an invitation to membership.

I think the common theme throughout is that the EO's and HQ's of all NPCs will insist that the local alumnae group is in support of the proposed alumna initiate....after all, it is the local alumnae who will be interacting with her and vice versa, so they'll want to insure that someone is not being "forced on" the existing alumnae, if they are not in support of it.

In some cases, the local collegiate chapter needs to be "on board" too, in terms of support, but not always (particularly if there is no collegiate chapter in the vicinity)

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-09-2003 at 01:38 PM.
Buy GreekChat a Coffee to help support this site, the community and the efforts that go into developing & keeping GC online. ( discuss )
Old 04-09-2003, 01:50 PM

I need to chime in again on this part (it's from another NPC, not ZTA):
Individuals may not approach the chapters or associations and request that they be proposed for membership. This puts the chapter or association in the awkward position of having to refuse someone if they do not wish to sponsor them.

Now, I am not advocating that a sorority extend the priviledge of membership to anyone and everyone who approaches them...not at all.. If someone is unsuitable for membership, the sorority should of course, decline them

I guess what I take exception to, is the unwillingness at all to meet someone who does not a prior connection, and give them half a chance to at least show what they are all about? I know that you cannot always tell what someone will be like in person from an email. I think it is worthwhile to at least hear them out and then allow them to meet the membership in person.

From there on, let's say you met someone in person and you felt that they were not suitable for membership.
To me, part of being an adult is having the skill to "say no" to someone and do so diplomatically. If someone cannot say "no", then it's their problem, not the prospective alumna initiate's.

Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-09-2003 at 01:53 PM.
Old 04-09-2003, 01:57 PM
GreekChat Member

Here are my thoughts...

I was at an officers meeting 2 weeks ago, discusiing how our alum chapter can recruit and maintain dues-paying members. The president was aggressively pushing alumnae initiation. Most of the officers agreed, and they pointed me out as an example (blushing).

However, one officer did object, saying that the AI process dilutes the Alpha Phi experience because of the lack of collegiate involvement. She was by no means discrediting AI process, but was speaking in a general sense. The president then responded it doesn't mean we're just going to take anybody; rather, we will seek potential initiates who exhibit dedication to Alpha Phi. The president also pointed out that based on her observations, alumnae initiates tend to be very dedicated to the organization.

I understand this one officer's concerns, but as pointed out before many a times, sorority membership is for life. During my AI process I was self-conscious at times because I did not want any of the Alpha Phi members to think that I was taking the easy way out, or that I was not going to understand what Alpha Phi was about because I didn't join the organization as a collegiate. But as one member told me (bless her!), you're only a collegiate 4-5 years. You're an alum for the rest of your life.

I contacted 2 of the local NPC alum chapters about my interest in the AI process, and while one responded sooner than the other, my e-mails were enthusiastically received. I'm glad and grateful that Alpha Phi welcomes alumnae initiates with open arms, and recognizes that AI's are a wonderful asset to the fraternity.

Greek love,
bearal
Old 04-09-2003, 02:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CutiePie2000
From there on, let's say you met someone in person and you felt that they were not suitable for membership.
To me, part of being an adult is having the skill to "say no" to someone and do so diplomatically. If someone cannot say "no", then it's their problem, not the prospective alumna initiate's.

Thoughts, anyone?
You took the words right out of my mouth.

I come from a culture in the USA where people speak their minds clearly. It is dishonest to not do so.

No matter where you are from, or what your cultural norms are, the epitome of rude is to string someone along and not give them a straight answer to their inquiry, one way or the other.

I have no illusions about the AI process; I understand completely that the answer may be "No." If that is the case, I expect some tact to go along with it but I'm a big girl and I can handle it.

For all of you current and future alums, please lizzen up:

If you are approached for AI, give a clear and polite answer when the time comes. Do NOT let people just dangle, hoping they'll "go away" if you don't want them. This is cruel and civilized adults do not treat people like this. It also reflects extremely poorly on your GLO as a whole. Also, if you are delaying contacting a person you DO want to have, you risk losing them to another GLO once word gets out that a valuable person is looking to affiliate.

Also, given that AI is becoming more widely known, I believe the NPC orgs should have clear information about their policies on the subject on their sites. Whether the policy is "don't call us, we'll call you" or "please do inquire!" say it. It is not discretion to not openly state public policy--it is asking for problems.

That's my take on the subject--backing up everything CutiePie2000 said.

Adrienne (PNAM-to the bitter end)
Old 04-10-2003, 01:44 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
By the way, I didn't advertize my affiliation because of postings on Zeta's sister site suggesting that we not do so to avoid such situations as this. I guess I should have -- but it really doesn't matter since several of you seem to have time to do some sleuthing.
Being a crotchety old sorority babe myself, I had time to "sleuth" and find out you are a Zeta because I am retired!

By the way, not advertising your affiliation doesn't mean you'll be able to avoid "situations such as this" -- au contraire (as you can plainly see)! What helps you "avoid situations such as this" is to make comments that don't cast aspersions (or seem to) on another sorority. I know I fairly bristled when I read your post because Gamma Phi Beta welcomes AIs (though there are members who individually feel as you do) and I felt you were being dismissive of sororities like mine who endorse the AI program more than Zeta does.

Okay, off my soapbox -- back to sleuthing
Old 04-10-2003, 02:09 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to cntryZTA5
Re: would like to add

Quote:
Originally posted by DGMarie
Re read this post on the ZTA board from the convention initiate:

click here

It speaks to why women want to be AI. It doesn't matter if you are a legacy or not. Those words speak true to us all.
I posted the above story in the ZTA forum because I believe that it shows that Zeta is forever.....When I became a member, I made a decision that I would be involved as a collegiate, AND as an alumnae; so far I have lived up to that choice. I wish that EVERY woman could experience the wonderful sisterhood that all sororities provide.

Although ZTA has a different policy on AI than other groups, I think that any woman who would like to become a sister should try to (whether it's through an affiliation with a known member or by contacting a group personally--it depends on the sororities policies). ALL sororities have something unique and special to provide to PNAM's; I hope that everyone who is seeking to AI finds their niche.

In regard more specifically to AI, I had an alum chum while I was in college. I just found out that her daughter was inititated (as an alumnae) into ZTA a few months ago!
Old 04-10-2003, 08:46 AM
GreekChat Member

This is all I have time for today. I did not intend to offend anyone with my original post. I have never heard of AI's as you all describe them. The Zeta who was initiated at Convention had Zeta connections (her mother) and would be considered an "Honor Initiate". I was at a meeting last night with a friend who is an active ADPi alumna and told her of this discussion. She also had never heard of this and the words out of her mouth were (Don't shoot the messenger; this is what she said.) "Why would anyone want to when they could join other worthwhile groups? We are bound from our college years." So you see it is not just me who didn't know what you were talking about. Our alumnae Panhellenic meets next week and I am going to ask the representatives their opinions and how many of their groups have this policy.

Please forgive me if I offended some of you. That was not my intention -- I just didn't know what you were talking about. I still do not understand but then I have been a Zeta since before I attended my first class in college. To me, it is all wrapped up with college experiences. Yes, my best years have been as an alumna but then most of my years have been as an alumna.

Some of you need to be less quick to take offense. I'm glad that you are happy with your affiliation. Just because I have never heard of it and questioned the reasons, doesn't make me a bad person.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nhfulmer
I have never heard of AI's as you all describe them. The Zeta who was initiated at Convention had Zeta connections (her mother) and would be considered an "Honor Initiate".
Some NPCs refer to them as "alumnae initiates", some call them "honor initiates", some call them "special initiates". The nomenclature is virtually the same.

Quote:
She also had never heard of this and the words out of her mouth were (Don't shoot the messenger; this is what she said.) "Why would anyone want to when they could join other worthwhile groups? We are bound from our college years." So you see it is not just me who didn't know what you were talking about.
I do see what you're saying. However, many women do not continue to live in the same cities where they attended college; they move around to different cities, take jobs, etc. and join an alumnae chapter in different cities. Consequently they meet other Alumnae Women who would have pledged the same sorority, but a different chapter. Even though they would be sisters in the same sorority, they would not have bonded with each other during the college years. I do feel that the bonds can occur in the alumnae arena. To further answer your question, "Why would someone want to do this?", I have found my membership in a Panhellenic sisterhood to very valuable, as it's been the bridge through which I have made friends with AOII's, AGDs and of course, other DGs. I've also made friends with several ex-pat AXO's who are formerly of Texas. It's just a nice "bond" to have and from there, our friendships have flourished.

For what it's worth, I *did* want to pledge and initiate in college. However I had a Disastrous Rush (and also here). If you read my story, you will see that Rush does not work out for everyone and it can be quite devastating.

In terms of "other worthwhile groups", I am involved in the Junior League as well.

To answer your question as to how many groups have this policy...here you go:
excerpted from the thread:
My Advice to Prospective Alumnae Initiates

The 26 members of the National Panhellenic Conference:
"Yes, they will under certain circumstances initiate non-collegiate women" or
"No, they do not do this practice"

Where the National websites contain information explicitly addressing alumnae initiation, I have included the link to those webpages.

Alpha Chi Omega - yes

Alpha Delta Pi - yes
IMPORTANT: Alpha Delta Pi does not accept members on their own recommendation. Either three alumnae members, a collegiate chapter, or an alumnae association may choose to approach a woman they know to see if she is interested in alumnae membership. Individuals may not approach the chapters or associations and request that they be proposed for membership. This puts the chapter or association in the awkward position of having to refuse someone if they do not wish to sponsor them. From Alpha Delta Pi's founding, their membership policy has been supportive of this philosophy
http://www.alphadeltapi.org/adelphea...cle4_body.html

Alpha Epsilon Phi - no

Alpha Gamma Delta - yes

Alpha Omicron Pi - yes
http://www.alphaomicronpi.org/conten.../aluminit.html
http://www.alphaomicronpi.org/PDF%20...itiate-F02.pdf With thanks to aopirose for this link....updated on March 16/2003

Alpha Phi - yes
http://www.alphaphi.org/alumnae_info/initiate.html

Alpha Sigma Alpha - yes

Alpha Sigma Tau - yes http://www.alphasigmatau.org/html/al...nitiates.shtml

Alpha Xi Delta - yes

Chi Omega - yes (under specific circumstances)

Delta Delta Delta - yes

Delta Gamma - yes
http://www.deltagamma.org/alumnae_initiates.html
For the Love of DG: Alumnae Initiates - added on March 28/03

Delta Phi Epsilon - yes

Delta Zeta - yes

Gamma Phi Beta - yes
http://www.gammaphibeta.org/services/initiates.html

Kappa Alpha Theta - yes

Kappa Delta - (sort of....under specific circumstances)
Kappa Delta does not have a specific alumnae initiate program although they do, under specific circumstances alumnae initate women. Normally these women are working with one of KD's college chapters as perhaps a faculty advisor or have had contact with an alumnae association who then nominates them for alumnae initiation.)

Kappa Kappa Gamma – Many thanks to KappaKittyCat for this information....
Currently, only alumnae members of a local sorority that has become a chapter of Kappa may be initiated into alumnae membership in the Fraternity.

At Kappa Kappa Gamma's 2002 Convention, a bylaw change was proposed that would allow selective alumnae initiation. The details of this bylaw change can be found in the link which appear immediately following. The proposal was defeated. Instead, a resolution was passed that established a 2-year pilot program allowing four of the chapters with the most need for chapter advisors to initiate women (usually professors or local businesswomen) who were already serving in a mentoring capacity. This would allow them to become full chapter advisors. The results of the pilot program will be presented and the proposed bylaw change reconsidered at the 2004 Convention.

Contact any of the women on the Task Force (contact information provided on the link) for more information about the status of Kappa's alumnae initiation program.

http://64.225.193.138/alum_init_criteria.htm
http://64.225.193.138/alum_init.htm

Phi Mu - yes With thanks to pinkyphimu for this information....

Phi Sigma Sigma - yes

Pi Beta Phi – yes
http://www.pibetaphi.org/pub/focarch2.htm
http://www.pibetaphi.org/alum/alinitiates.htm

Sigma Delta Tau - don't know

Sigma Kappa - yes

Sigma Sigma Sigma - yes

Theta Phi Alpha - yes With thanks to aopirose for this information....updated on March 16/2003
They do initiate alumnae of an absorbed local and also women who have demostrated service to the sorority like a mom or advisor.

Zeta Tau Alpha - yes
"A ZTA alumnae may recommend outstanding women from their communities for membership in ZTA. A four year period must have elapsed between the time she left college and the time she would be initiated. The unanimous vote of National Council is required. It is desirable the woman has attended an institute of higher learning, although not required to be a graduate. She should bring to the membership the attributes hoped for in each new member. Approval of the recommendation is not automatic. If you are interested in becoming an alumnae initiate, it is important to show sincere interest in our organization. Alumnae who do recommend women to become alumna initiates usually do so because the unaffiliated woman becomes involved with a collegiate or alumnae chapter, supports our programs, reflects our values and demonstrated a commitment to lifelong membership. There is a definite relationship formed with the members of ZTA prior to becoming recommended for membership. Women do not generally "seek out" becoming an alumna initiate. It usually happens because the collegiate or alumnae members feel the woman would be an asset to our organization. If you are interested in sorority membership and have no special group attachment, perhaps there are other groups whose programs operates differently than ZTAs. But, if you do have an ongoing relationship with ZTA, you can inform the members that you are interested in becoming an alumna initiate. Again, there are no guarantees they will start the process or that National Council will approve the recommendation. ZTA typically approves under ten women a year for this honor."

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-10-2003 at 10:51 AM.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:07 AM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to LeslieAGD
CutiePie, you get a gold star for your research!
That's interesting to see.
Old 04-10-2003, 11:48 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GPhiBLtColonel
Being a crotchety old sorority babe myself, I had time to "sleuth" and find out you are a Zeta because I am retired!

By the way, not advertising your affiliation doesn't mean you'll be able to avoid "situations such as this" -- au contraire (as you can plainly see)! What helps you "avoid situations such as this" is to make comments that don't cast aspersions (or seem to) on another sorority. I know I fairly bristled when I read your post because Gamma Phi Beta welcomes AIs (though there are members who individually feel as you do) and I felt you were being dismissive of sororities like mine who endorse the AI program more than Zeta does.

Okay, off my soapbox -- back to sleuthing

You make me laugh Cele! By the way you're not an "old" babe...how about an "aging hottie" ( we can thank dear hubby for coming up with that one!)

Congratulations to Cluey on her intiation into the Delta Upsilon
chapter of Gamma Phi Beta at UGA tonight.

Andrea
Old 04-10-2003, 04:58 PM
GreekChat Member

Cool

CutiePie, you are awesome!!!!

While each Greek Org. IFC, NPC, NHPC, and any other Greek Org. has their set of AI, it is possbile that for reasons unbeknownst to us, that they seek member ship in one of our Groups.

I look upon that as an honor that they are even thinking about a certain Org. If they did not find respect, caring and love, I am sure they would not even condsider a Certain Org.

There have been men and women who have AI'ed and have become very prominent leaders of their respective groups!

I am very protective about who becomes an Honorary or Any kind of a member of LXA. So should we all. But to just say NO it aint happening is a little short sighted.

We all love our Org. so that is why you should be carefull of whom is initiated into it!

LX Z # 1
Alumni
Old 04-10-2003, 05:49 PM

Quote:
I have also been involved in a conversation in an alumnae Panhellenic meeting when an individual who had contacted several member groups was discussed. It was generally decided that she was trying to stir up trouble and none of the groups were interested in her. After comparing notes, it became apparent that she was moving through the groups in alphabetical order.
This sounds like someone I know whose intentions were misconstrued. (This was also in North Carolina). However, while this individual was rebuffed quite firmly, she has bounced back and has subsequently been initiated, albeit in a different group. She is now happy as can be and is supporting a new colony turned chapter! They were a colony is Autumn 2002...now it is April 2003 and they are at CHAPTER TOTAL! I am so proud of her and I know that she is a wonderful, dedicated and devoted member of her sorority.

She loves it as the new members are "her girls" and she is their "alum". Of course, I only have her side of the story and don't know exactly how she presented herself, I just know that her intentions were to find the best sorority home for her, which she did end up doing eventually.

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-18-2003 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:05 PM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
This is all I have time for today. I did not intend to offend anyone with my original post. I have never heard of AI's as you all describe them. The Zeta who was initiated at Convention had Zeta connections (her mother) and would be considered an "Honor Initiate". I was at a meeting last night with a friend who is an active ADPi alumna and told her of this discussion. She also had never heard of this and the words out of her mouth were (Don't shoot the messenger; this is what she said.) "Why would anyone want to when they could join other worthwhile groups? We are bound from our college years." So you see it is not just me who didn't know what you were talking about. Our alumnae Panhellenic meets next week and I am going to ask the representatives their opinions and how many of their groups have this policy.

Please forgive me if I offended some of you. That was not my intention -- I just didn't know what you were talking about. I still do not understand but then I have been a Zeta since before I attended my first class in college. To me, it is all wrapped up with college experiences. Yes, my best years have been as an alumna but then most of my years have been as an alumna.

Some of you need to be less quick to take offense. I'm glad that you are happy with your affiliation. Just because I have never heard of it and questioned the reasons, doesn't make me a bad person.
Nhfulmer, I don't think anybody here was trying to attack you for the opinions you stated, and I hope you still feel comfortable posting them.

Traditionally, the NPC sororities have been seen as a "college-only experience." They've been associated with drinking, promiscuity, frivolousness and immaturity, and I think the NPC is trying to move away from that image by emphasizing that sororities are not just for college, they're for life, and involvement in them continues long after college is over. I think that along with that push, alumnae initiation is experiencing a surge in popularity, and it will continue to grow in the years to come. I think the reason it hasn't been popular before now is that most people didn't know about it! That goes for people in the sororities AND those outside of it. Now, with the internet, information travels so much more quickly, and I think the process of alumnae initiation will lose a lot of its "mystification."

The historically black sororities have always emphasized lifetime membership and they've always allowed post-undergraduate women to join -- and subsequently, they are VERY respected in the black community. I think the NPC sororities are making a push towards that sort of emphasis, hoping that the stereotype of superficial, immature college "sorority girls" will be diminished, and replaced with a picture of women of all ages working together to help each other succeed, contribute to the community and have fun.

I know you probably feel like these women were too quick to get angry, and maybe they were. But also try to see it from their view: I'm sure that at some point in your life, you've had non-Greeks ask you why you chose to go through the supposedly superficial process of "sorority rush" where women judge you on your looks, clothes, and three minutes worth of conversation. You probably felt disrespected by their degrading of the rush process. Now just imagine that it was a member of another sorority telling you that the rush process you used to join your organization was silly or strange, and that THEIR organization would never allow women to join in the way that you joined yours. I think you would be a little offended too.

I don't mean to offend you . . . I am just trying to help explain where these women are coming from.
Old 04-10-2003, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sugar and spice
.....the rush process you used to join your organization was silly or strange, and that THEIR organization would never allow women to join in the way that you joined yours. I think you would be a little offended too.

I don't mean to offend you . . . I am just trying to help explain where these women are coming from.
Well said, Sugar and Spice. Yes, my feathers do get ruffled a bit when the subtext of the message that I am perceiving is "you're not worthy of joining because you didn't pledge as a collegian". Now, no one has said that, but that is the vibe that I have picked up on (no, not from Npfulmer, but in generally speaking terms, when I hear of women poohing the idea).

I also have to chime in from a purely Marketing perspective:
Quality Members are the lifebood of fraternities and sororities.

Well, if i remember my Marketing principles correctly, one was
"Create new products for existing customers, or create new customers for your existing products"
For example: Nail Polish for men (From Hard Candy...remember their "CandyMan" nailpolish? I don't know any self-respecting man who wore it, but I digress) is a prime example of "create new customers for your existing products"

So it is also with GLO: "create new customers for your existing products"
Obviously, sororities cannot initiate men, or children. (i.e. "the new customers"). But why not women who are already finished college, or perhaps have life experience to bring to the organization?

Last edited by CutiePie2000; 04-10-2003 at 06:23 PM.
Old 04-10-2003, 10:16 PM
GreekChat Member

So....wonder what happened to Inca??