GreekChat.com Forums  

Go Back   GreekChat.com Forums > GLO Specific Forums > Kappa > Kappa Kappa Gamma

Register Now for FREE!
Join GreekChat.com, The Fraternity & Sorority Greek Chat Network. To sign up for your FREE account INSTANTLY fill out the form below!

Username: Password: Confirm Password: E-Mail: Confirm E-Mail:

Image Verification
Please enter the six letters or digits that appear in the image opposite.

I agree to forum rules 

» GC Stats
Members: 325,124
Threads: 115,503
Welcome to our newest member, znathanhulzeo24
» Online Users: 1,394
1 members and 1,393 guests
FSUZeta

Old 11-18-2003, 05:48 PM
GreekChat Member

Send a message via AIM to sherbertlemons
Just out of curiosity...

I was on the Kappa website today, and I saw the notice about our convention next June. That piqued my curiosity.

I was just wondering if any of ya'll had ever been to convention before, and if so, what exactly goes on there?
Old 11-18-2003, 06:15 PM
GreekChat Member

Personally, I've never been, but from what I've heard and what I understand, it's like a Provice meeting, only on a much larger scale:

* Fraternity business is executed at this time (voting for new Fraternity Officers, changes to by laws and standing rules, etc...)
* Awards and Honors are given out to chapters that have done well since the previous Convention
* Focus sessions and meetings pertaining to various aspects of the Fraternity and Greek Life in general (for example: Dealing with low numbers, Greeks and the Media, Ritual, Advisory Board, Alumnae Associations, etc...)
* Fun Kappa activities (dinners, banquets, Ritual, etc...)

After going to Province last year, I expect it's a lot of meetings and Kappa time, and not a lot of free, explore the city time--which is fine since the main focus of Convention is Kappa. A lot of members report feeling recharged and rarin' to go after having been to Convention. I am planning on attending this year, and hope it will be a great experience.
Perhaps it'll be a hootshinpaloozaree. I don't know.
Old 11-18-2003, 06:17 PM
GreekChat Member

Conventions, like Province Meetings, are so much fun! There are workshops and business meetings to be sure, but you also get to meet so many sisters and be inundated with KAPPA everything. It is such an awesome experience to see that many Kappas in one spot!

There is a memorial service for sisters who have passed on in the years between conventions.

The most thrilling thing to me is the Candlelight Banquet, or rather what happens at the end of it. If you want to know more, PM me.

The Key Source and BPA usually have booths set up, so you can buy Kappa things. I think there is also a Blue Owl Boutique like at PM--we have so many talented sisters!

There is even a convention paper called The Hoot which highlights what has gone on. Since there is so much happening at once, I think this is pretty ingenious!

Awards are given out, there is a parade of chapters, and so many other things that will make you so proud to be a Kappa Kappa Gamma. I promise that you will leave convention with renewed enthusiasm.

I'm sure there are things I have forgotten, but that should give you an idea.
Old 11-18-2003, 10:35 PM
GreekChat Member

I have been to 4 conventions and they were all unique. However, they all have great leadership training, the Fraternity conducts business (and it's wonderful to see how the Fraternity operates), they usually have a ritual workshop, and a variety of other training for advisors, alumnae, and collegiate members. Plus, you get to meet Kappas from all across the US and Canada!

My favorite convention was 1998 in Scottsdale, AZ. I had a wonderful, wonderful time there. I went last year, but I was very busy trying to meet with the Fraternity Treasurer and Foundation Members to build support for the EK house. It was a rather nerve racking time, but as always, I enjoyed it.

If anyone out there is attending next year, feel free to PM me and I can tell you what to expect and what to bring. One thing for sure, you will be amazed at what an outstanding organization we belong to! You will be even more proud to be a Kappa!

Last edited by PKTKKG; 11-19-2003 at 11:09 AM.
Old 01-05-2004, 05:38 PM
GreekChat Member

Just dusting this off. I was thinking more about Convention since it's this year now! I'm almost 100% positive I'm going, and am really excited about it. Is anyone else planning on attending or know of anyone who is? I doubt anyone else from my area will be going, save maybe one other adviser, but I guess I'll know the girls from both my home chapter and the one I advise. Oh boy, I can't wait!
Old 01-05-2004, 06:50 PM
GreekChat Member

I am pretty sure I will be going to convention this year. I love catching up with old convention friends and making new ones!
Old 01-07-2004, 08:29 PM
GreekChat Member

I'll be going too, since I am a Province Officer and delegate. Gotta get my white dress!!!!

We should have a GC meet-up for those of us who are attending Convention!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:01 AM
GreekChat Member

PTKKG--

What is on your "do-not-leave-home-for-Convention-without" list?

This will be my first Convention, and I want to make sure I am fully prepared (clothing and stuff-wise, of course)!

I'd love to hear your thoughts!!!
Old 01-08-2004, 10:31 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
originally posted by imsohappythatiama
We should have a GC meet-up for those of us who are attending Convention!
I think that's a wonderful idea! Even if it's just for a quick cup of coffee or dessert or whatnot, it's always nice to put faces to names!

Quote:
originally posted by imsohappythatiama
PTKKG--
What is on your "do-not-leave-home-for-Convention-without" list?
I would like to know as well, could you please either PM or email me? Do you think they'd let me wear my wedding dress as my white dress?
Old 01-09-2004, 04:36 PM
GreekChat Member

I would love to share my thoughts on convention as it is a wonderful experience. And as women we can get into this, but it is essential you bring enough clothes/shoes and the right kind of clothes/shoes for the meetings and dinners.

All of the formal business meetings are in the white dress and shoes. Please make sure the dresses are in fact dresses and are all white. I know this can be hard to find, but trust me you will stick out badly if not and they do say they will ask you to leave if you are not properly dressed (although I've never seen this happen before). The rest of the meetings/workshops are business casual. I would not recommend wearing jeans or shorts, but do bring those for casual fare in the evenings. Usually, there is one afternoon of 'field' trips where shorts/jeans would be appropriate, but you will get the trip information with your convention materials. The dinners are dressy, but the real dressy dinner is Candlelight Banquet on the last night. A nice church dress is fine, but if you have a semi-formal dress it is entirely appropriate for this special night. You will be amazed at the fashion show on for this night!! I always bring more clothes than I need, but that's part of the fun in deciding what to wear!

I always make sure and bring a good size tote bag and a notebook or pad of paper. They will give you a tote bag with your convention stuff, but it is never big enough for me! There are many things to do between meals and workshops. Places to make sure and visit are: the resource room, the Blue Owl Boutique, and the traveling Heritage Museum.

The resource room has tons and tons of information for you to take back to your chapter/Advisory Board/House Board/Alum Association. I always leave with tons of educational materials and of course the free giveaways (buttons, magnets, etc.).

Bring some extra money (check or credit card is fine) for all of the wonderful shopping at the Blue Owl Boutique. Chapters and Alumane Associations bring a variety of wonderful Kappa stuff (crafts, staionary, notecards, etc.) to sell and I have some wonderful things I've bought. I love my Kappa stuff and the associations make some money too! The Key Source also has a shop for clothing, trinkets, etc. that also helps support Kappa.

The Heritage Museum always brings a traveling exhibit. It is always WONDERFUL to get a taste of Kappa history for those of us not fortunate enough to visit in person at Headquarters.

Then of course there is the Foundation where you have an opportunity to give to Kappa and even make donations in honor of/in memory of a Kappa.

Burr Patterson and Auld are always there and usually you can get your pin or other Fraternity jewelry cleaned for a nominal fee (usually $5 or so) and you can buy Kappa jewelry if you like.

If you are attending with other advisors or undergraduates from one chapter, make sure you split up and do not all attend the same educational sessions. The workshops are great training for officers, advisors, and alumnae, and there are usually handouts and notes to take. You will have a convention program and list of educational workshops, so it is easy to plan in advance who will go where so you can take maximum advantage of the information presented.

Take advantage of the opportunity to meet the members of Fraternity Council and other Kappas from around the country. It is so much fun! Usually the first night at dinner is Province night, so you sit at a table in your Province. The rest of the dinners are first come first seated, so we always met with our group about 15 or 20 minutes before dinner so we could eat together. Breakfast and lunch are usually the best times to mingle and meet others since people have different schedules for breakfast and are in workshops up until lunchtime. There is usally a lunch or dinner honoring the current and former Fraternity presidents and afterwards everyone has an opportunity to meet these ladies and say hello.

Ok, I'm all thought out for a Friday but I know there is more. I'll post later as I think about other things to consider or do!
Old 02-16-2004, 12:13 AM
GreekChat Member

Talking Convention

Hi there!
I too will be at Convention. I am currently a Traveling Consultant for Kappa and so excited to go to another Convention. It will be my second and the first was so much fun I can't wait to get back. I am especially excited to see chapter delegates from all the chapters I have visited along with PDCs, RDCs and advisers from across the country. This week I am at Colorado College. I look forward to another fabulous Convention and we will be voting on some great stuff!
Old 02-16-2004, 12:52 AM
GreekChat Member

Oh I get so excited just thinking about Convention!!!

I've already started the process of searching for/buying clothes and shoes. I have NO clue what to wear in terms of a white dress, though, any suggestions?

edited because Convention doesn't start with an "i"

Last edited by ISUKappa; 02-16-2004 at 10:04 AM.
Old 02-16-2004, 03:26 AM
GreekChat Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ISUKappa
Oh I get so excited just thinking about iConvention!!!

I've already started the process of searching for/buying clothes and shoes. I have NO clue what to wear in terms of a white dress, though, any suggestions?
I can't help much, but it seems that a lot of stores are currently clearing out their winter formal dresses, and I have seen a couple white ones.

Someone who has gone to convention can correct me on this - but it seems to be easiest to find a white business dress (you know, one that would come with a suit jacket) - especially considering spring merchandice is starting to come out. Or you could make one.

I'd love to come to convention this year, but there's no way I could attend with my life so up in arms right now. Thank goodness their bi-yearly - hopefully I can go in 2006!
Old 02-16-2004, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

When I was appointed to the PDC position for Nu West back in May/June of 2003 (we were still living in Boston then), the local PDC (who is a chapter-mate of mine) was adamant that I go buy a white dress for Convention ASAP. I kept thinking, "But Convention is in 2004!"

I listened, however, and got a *great* deal on a white dress on sale, and I think as soon as the Spring sales rev up, I will be looking for another one as well...what if I spill something on the white dress that I have?

If I do find/buy a second white dress, I do kind of want one with a little jacket or shawl or something...I hear it gets *cold* in those rooms!

I received the Convention packet just this week, and sent in my Travel Arrangments Friday. Got to get my Registration check in the mail, and then I am all set to go... I am really looking forward to it!!!
Old 02-17-2004, 11:23 AM
GreekChat Member

2002 was my first convention, and the best advice I got beforehand was "Do not wear white pants!"

There were many white skirt and blouse/sweater combinations. I found it really challenging to locate a white dress or suit. Ann Taylor had a great white pique dress, which unfortunately wasn't available in petite sizes -- I counted at least ten of them at Convention. I found a cute, plain sheath dress on Talbots.com, but definitely needed a sweater in the air conditioning.

Just be careful about lingerie, and pack a slip! There was one attendee who must have overslept or gotten dressed in a hurry, and was wearing animal print undies under her unlined white linen dress.

See you in Kansas City!

Kappa Kappa Gamma

Tradition of Leadership